Poll: When can you call yourself a band?
Poll Options
View poll results: When can you call yourself a band?
After meeting
5 6%
After a jam
7 9%
After a few jams
34 42%
After a name
15 19%
After a gig
20 25%
Voters: 81.
So I found a friend that can sing and play bass, and another one that can play drums. We're all into like Muse, Pink Floyd, you get the idea. In the last week, we've jammed twice, once 3 hours, once 6 hours, and we just kept doing more songs and perfecting them. At what point can we really call ourselves a band, and if so, how do we reach that point?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
you probably can already call your self a band. there are so many bands that are formed in a week and consist of 3 or 4 people. even though you might not all be good or in sync with each other yet your still a band.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
I'd say once you start recording some things or playing a few small gigs then you pretty much become a band, otherwise your just a group.

Thats just how I see it though
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by iceh88
you probably can already call your self a band. there are so many bands that are formed in a week and consist of 3 or 4 people. even though you might not all be good or in sync with each other yet your still a band.

We're actually all in sync, the chemistry is great. It even surprised me.

I write songs.
none
Quote by WyvernOmega
We're actually all in sync, the chemistry is great. It even surprised me.

Then I'd say you're a band.
You can call yourself a band whenever you want to. A working band is different. A working band has to be able to get and play gigs.
I think a band is a band when there's a group of people playing music together with the common goal to present that music to the public.

Haha. Sounds like a legal definition.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I have come to the shocking conclusion that we are a band :P

I write songs.
none
Does this really matter for any reason other than being able to tell people 'I'm in a band'?
whenever you feel like its a band. normally it's after jamming a few times and it seems that it might go on for a while.
None of those. To me it's after you've made music. Once you've made a song together, you're a band, because you have something to show, you made something, and the thing that define every band in the world is the music they play.

Of course there are coverbands, but that's usually mostly for shits and giggles.

Alright, that means.. i have to.. eh.. Alright, if you play covers with people, sure, you're a band, but to me, you are not a REAL band, before you have actually made a song, even if the song is crappy as hell, it's a song. And that's what bands are for really.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
None of those. To me it's after you've made music. Once you've made a song together, you're a band, because you have something to show, you made something, and the thing that define every band in the world is the music they play.

I'm gonna have to agree with this, although I think it really helps solidify yourself as a band if you start gigging regularly.
Guitar: Fender Standard Tele

Amp: Marshall JCM900 4100

Pedals: Boss DS-1, Dunlop Crybaby, Dancelectro CC-1, Ibanez LU-20