Just bought a pack of "skinny top, heavy bottom" ernie balls, and im not pleased at all. I now understand how strings can affect tone. These ones in particular took all of the brightness and mid range out of my sound...the bottom end is now weaker and it sounds like there are 5 blankets covering the speaker. My tone was where i wanted it b4

Could it be possible that i got a bad batch of strings?

Has anyone else had the same problem with these strings?
I use to use them a lot, werent really good strings for me so I went with the hybrid slinky, havent stoped using them since.
you must have put them on incorrectly. strings shouldnt effect your tone that drastically if at all.
I didnt have that problem at all. Mine gave a great bright sound when i got them for the first time.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by dfinch10
you must have put them on incorrectly. strings shouldnt effect your tone that drastically if at all.

well i put them on correctly...but even if i didn't...that would affect the tone?
string gauge honestly doesnt affect tone THAT much. have you ever listened to a record and been like, OMG, this is BS, it sounds like crap because he is using DR 10's instead of ernie ball 9's!!! you cant tell what strings people use on records like that. its not that big of a deal, its something else.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by kornnolis
I use to use them a lot, werent really good strings for me so I went with the hybrid slinky, havent stoped using them since.

I need my low E and A string to not be too thick and to not rattle around so much when i do triplets for metal and hardcore stuff....would hybrid's get the job done?
Do you have a floyd equiped guitar? Are you sure you havent messed up your intonation?
(check you tone pot, just in case)
Quote by ipunchcouches
I need my low E and A string to not be too thick and to not rattle around so much when i do triplets for metal and hardcore stuff....would hybrid's get the job done?

dude i would check the action on my guitar if rattling is the problem
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
string gauge honestly doesnt affect tone THAT much. have you ever listened to a record and been like, OMG, this is BS, it sounds like crap because he is using DR 10's instead of ernie ball 9's!!! you cant tell what strings people use on records like that. its not that big of a deal, its something else.

SRV and Dave Gilmour use heavy string gauges (13s etc). You telling me you can't hear the difference.

Of course you can. And also i think you can tell 'roughly' what string gauges people are using. Your generalised disregard of the importance and impact of strings/string gauges is alarming.
Quote by Duv
SRV and Dave Gilmour use heavy string gauges (13s etc). You telling me you can't hear the difference.

Of course you can. And also i think you can tell 'roughly' what string gauges people are using. Your generalised disregard of the importance and impact of strings/string gauges is alarming.

String gauge affects tone, but it isn't a determining factor. SRV and David Gilmour get their tone from their setup, not from their strings. I'd say strings are 5% of your tone and that's pushing it.
As for your problem, try other strings, and if it still sounds bad, then something else is wrong.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Duv

Your undergeneralised regard of the importance and impact of strings/string gauges is alarming.

You're telling me that, just by changing my strings I can improve the tightness and low end of my amp, and also make it clear as day?

Take off.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
You sure your pickups didn't sink? That happens occasionally. I have to periodically raise the pickups on my ibanez because they sink gradually, and i lose sustain and definition. Just a thought.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
How long ago was the string change? Let them stretch for awhile, they always sound like crap after the first day or two.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
^^

But I like new string sounds....
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
It could be the pick-up height, i never thought of that.

I used regular slinky's before these, and they were nice and bright...but when i pick faster on the lower strings they don't stay too tight.

These strings literally brought the brightness and punch out of my tone.
I use the heavy bottom skinny top on all 3 of my electrics and have never had a problem with them. It sounds like your pickups moved to me.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
So what? If you don't like them use another brand, it's no big deal.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I used them for a while and wasn't overly impressed with them, reverted to Hybrid Slinkys and Super Slinkys for the time being... soon I'm going to start ordering the Titanium ones from overseas.

Perhaps it's related to your intonation/action/pickup height?
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Take off.

Eh? Ha, good old Canadian saying, it's a beauty way to go.
Quote by ipunchcouches
well i put them on correctly...but even if i didn't...that would affect the tone?

we are talking about strings right? because for some reason, i liken you to a child wearing underwear on his head.

st/hb's work fine for me, but then again i don't down tune to br00tulz lowz. if you do, this is your problem. if you don't, your problem lies outside of your strings. check your setup, your action and intonation, all looks good?

...then go back to what you were using before. you said your tone was where you wanted it, why would you change it in the first place?
I wear underwear on my head all the time. It is way better than a hat.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I absolutely hate Ernie Ball strings, whereas our other guitarist loves them. For me they're too bright and break very quickly, while a set of D'Addarios can last weeks.

Doesn't mean I blame the company - different stuff simply works for different people, both in a personal preference sense and a physiological level (ie the oils in your skin and the way they affect different alloys, making strings rust quicker etc).

Also, have you checked your nut, and the break angle of the strings across it?
Quote by Duv

SRV's tone isn't just strings. Sure the ultra heavy strings give his low E that pop but it only accentuates the tone he gets from his Strat and brights Fender amps.

Besides String tone is minimal anyway. Even though i think that freshly changed strings sound better, the sound goes away in like 2 days .
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
SRV's tone isn't just strings. Sure the ultra heavy strings give his low E that pop but it only accentuates the tone he gets from his Strat and brights Fender amps.

Besides String tone is minimal anyway. Even though i think that freshly changed strings sound better, the sound goes away in like 2 days .

Some say as little as 6-8 hours.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
They're strings. If you don't like them, cut them off and try something else. That's why they make so many different brands and models of strings. Try a bunch of them and decide which ones work for you.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Your undergeneralised regard of the importance and impact of strings/string gauges is alarming.

You're telling me that, just by changing my strings I can improve the tightness and low end of my amp, and also make it clear as day?

Take off.

I never said that changing strings would do that. Nor was i saying that strings = tone. Of course there are a number of different factors that determine tone.

What I was answering to was the claim that the gauge of the strings doesn't make a difference to sound/tone. Of course they do. There are a number of other factors at work but strings cannot be disregarded from the category of things which alter tone.

With regards to string choice a lot of it depends on personal preference, granted, but there are material differences in sound/tone that can come from using heavier or lighter strings.

Also i wasn't "undergeneralising" at all...in fact i was doing the opposite, i was proposing the general importance and impact of strings (not forgetting all of the other key inputs).
Quote by Duv
I never said that changing strings would do that. Nor was i saying that strings = tone. Of course there are a number of different factors that determine tone.

What I was answering to was the claim that the gauge of the strings doesn't make a difference to sound/tone. Of course they do. There are a number of other factors at work but strings cannot be disregarded from the category of things which alter tone.

With regards to string choice a lot of it depends on personal preference, granted, but there are material differences in sound/tone that can come from using heavier or lighter strings.

Also i wasn't "undergeneralising" at all...in fact i was doing the opposite, i was proposing the general importance and impact of strings (not forgetting all of the other key inputs).

all very true. +1
Quote by Duv

If that was the case, Billy Gibbons' high E would sound weak as hell.

Why? It's a 7. Therefore, no, you can't really tell the gauge of strings from recordings and listening. There will be a smaller difference in tightness between thicker strings, but even that is negligible.

TS, check your pups, and if it's not that, then just switch back.

STREDIT: Ah, I see. Cheers mate. Misread the intent.

Although I stand by what I said too.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 12, 2009,
I couldn't tell you from a recording what someone is using. But I put a set of 13's on a strat and the different in tone into a Pro Jr w/ no pedals was obvious. They sounded great but I couldn't hardly bend with any control and soon replaced them. If I had monster hands I would use fat strings for killer tone.