What would you think would sound better for my pedals .im a bedroom player

pedalboard into :

Solid state power amp + cabinet ( or solid state combo )

or

pedalboard with a cabinet simulator pedal into decent quality active (Powered) PA speaker / studio monitor .

i dont know which way i should go .. im rethinking my set up and havent choose if im going P.A set up .

tube arent an option .. even the 2 watts are too loud for my bedroom . im not planning on gigginr anytime soon .

i was thinking of running the pedalboard into something like that

http://www.moogaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_66&products_id=3121

good idea ???
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 11, 2009,
Mini valve amps do have a master volume more often than not, so I don't see how it could be a problem.

Of course you can't crank in the bedroom, but for bedroom practice then using a master volume will still sound good.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I like the Blackheart Angry Ant. It's only 1 watt, and sounds pretty solid. I find that if you want that 'full out' sound, tubes are a must. You can also get a small cabinet for it - if you look hard enough, you can find the Celestion Vintage 30 in an 8" size, and I think that's just the best possible bedroom speaker. It sounds extremely clear, has a suprising amount of bass, and the 8" size means it's much less likely to move enough air to annoy your neighbors. Or parents, or whatever. No matter what amp you get, you want that speaker.

Here's what I did for my bedroom amp: I got an Epiphone Valve Jr. If I had the money I would have gotten a Gibson Les Paul Jr. as it's handwired, but both are excellent. I put the Vintage 30 in the VJ, and cut up some eggshell-type padding to put in the cabinet as a muffle. Then I swapped the tubes with slightly cleaner, lower-output versions. I forget what I used for the power tube, but the preamp tube went from an AX7 to a long-plate AT7. Or AU7. I forget the designation, since it's 'military spec', so it uses numbers. Anyway, the tube I used is about 75% the output and the gain of an AX7, and the long plate, while bringing the output back a bit, gives the amp a little more headroom that is usually not present in lower volumes.

The downside to this setup is that it won't distort well by itself, unless I want to make myself deaf. It also will never be sparkling clean, since 'average volume' requires driving the tubes a bit.

The upside is that I can roll off the volume on the guitar for a great clean sound, and I can dime the volume and use an overdrive or distortion pedal for killer heavy sounds.

On the rare occasion that I choose to record, I usually use this over anything else. Unless I'm playing over drums, you can't beat the sound that comes from it, assuming you like a raw, in-your-face tone. If you like a polished metal sound you'll want an A/B amp (or maybe solid state), and if you like jazz you'll want a lower-output speaker. And maybe a Fender Champ instead.
Vox AC4 - on the quiet setting you can comfortably talk over it - that too loud for you?
With a master volume, you can (seriously) get a 100w amp down to an acceptable bedroom volume (bordering on too loud - if you have cranky neighbours your 100w 1/2 stack turned to 1 will piss them off, but most people should be fine with it.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Vox AC4 - on the quiet setting you can comfortably talk over it - that too loud for you?
With a master volume, you can (seriously) get a 100w amp down to an acceptable bedroom volume (bordering on too loud - if you have cranky neighbours your 100w 1/2 stack turned to 1 will piss them off, but most people should be fine with it.

I disagree. I had a Mesa 50 watt combo, and playing it over 2 or 2 1/2 on the master volume put me well in danger of having my landlord called because of me. And of course it sounded terrible below 1 1/2 or so, which gave me a very narrow range to work in.

Bear in mind I live downtown though.
Quote by jean_genie
I disagree. I had a Mesa 50 watt combo, and playing it over 2 or 2 1/2 on the master volume put me well in danger of having my landlord called because of me. And of course it sounded terrible below 1 1/2 or so, which gave me a very narrow range to work in.

Bear in mind I live downtown though.

Mesas are ridiculously loud and sound bad at low volumes - some tube amps are great at low vols. This is why many of Mesas new models (Express Series, Mk.V) now have 5w modes.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
Mesas are ridiculously loud and sound bad at low volumes -

Ah? Mesa still sound great at low volumes. They start to sound awesome at cranked volume.

The wattage selector is there for earlier breakup... it don't impact your volume radically. Switching from 90w to 10watts cuts the volume by about 30% on my Mark V.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.