Hey guys. anyways ive had my electric guitar for over a year. its a squire strat.ive found that i want to play alot of metal and lets just say that the squire isnt exactly "suited" to play metal. i was wondering what type of guitar i should get my choices are between B.C Rich or ESP. i play mainly metallica but i do like to play some other calmer things. My price range is 500-600$ give or take some. ok plz comment
I'd personally be looking into an Ibanez, but that's just my personal taste for metal. Something with a Wizard neck. Those things shred for fast riffs and solos.
ibanez...ok thanks and that might also be a lot easier to find where i live.
Unless you've got a need for the floating bridge, stay away from them, though. They make tuning a real bitch, especially for someone who's not used to them.

And another bit of advice, if you can, go out and try a few that you're looking at. Different guitars feel and play completely different, so trying them out first hand is the best thing you can do. It also gives you a better idea of the sound differences. Play them through the amp you've got if they have one at the store.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 11, 2009,
ibanez are good, watch out for the trmelos on the rg's they can be annoying, esp are good, you could also look at jackson. be carefull with b.c. rich their low end models can be bad
Try out a few, don't rush!

Take what feels good to you, but as far as ESP vs. BC goes, i'd go ESP. Any low end BC i've tried has played and sounded exactly just like that - a cheap guitar.
ok. any good ESPs between 500-600$. give me the name if there are. and i was sorta leaningtowards ESP ayways
tremolo doesnt matter. my equipment is this: Fender Frontman 15g, a digitech distortion factory, and a kirk hammet crybaby wah wah pedal by christmas
damn that things looks like a happy version of james iron cross. thanks for that recommendation man.
Ibanez aren't really great guitars unless you get the Iceman series
the headstock and frets inlays are usually ugly although they
make good Acoustic guitars.

ESP is the best metal guitar company right now

Any bolt on mahogany body guitar with a high output duncan pickup
will be your best bet to learn from.

I started out with a 15w Squire amp and pumped SH-6 into it
and could get pretty clear riffs in A Standard, you'd be
surprised how much tone is from your hands
if your good you can make crap sound pretty good
under certain limitations

when you get a good job and move on like me then you can afford the ENGL amp
Another vote for Ibanez here, I got an Ibanez RG470 a couple years ago, if you can find one their between $300-500 american and up until recently I have never even wanted to get a new guitar.

Also (and Im sure most will tell you the same) go to a guitar store and just look around until you find one that sounds good to you and that has a price that works for you.

Also anyone who whines about the floating tremolo is a little girl, its really not that big of a deal, the benefits far outweigh the minor difficulties.
Last edited by thegreatbuddha at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Ibanez aren't really great guitars unless you get the Iceman series
the headstock and frets inlays are usually ugly although they
make good Acoustic guitars.

ESP is the best metal guitar company right now

Any bolt on mahogany body guitar with a high output duncan pickup
will be your best bet to learn from.

I started out with a 15w Squire amp and pumped SH-6 into it
and could get pretty clear riffs in A Standard, you'd be
surprised how much tone is from your hands
if your good you can make crap sound pretty good
under certain limitations

when you get a good job and move on like me then you can afford the ENGL amp

Almost the worst post I've read.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

Almost the worst post I've read.

It is true, we all have our own taste, what is good to me isn't necessarily
good to you, or what you need for that matter.

Just as a mahagany guitar thats a bolt would suit most people
that don't have a large sum of money to get what they desire

if your a crappy guitar player your a crappy guitar player no matter
what you plug in to, course having good guitar and amp help
but you only can go so far

This may be a bit out of the price range but you would save money long term
with just a few dollars more investment

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ESPEC401
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Nov 11, 2009,
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_kirk.html
^Kirk Hammet Sig guitars
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_james.html
^James Hetfield Sig guitars
You said you play a lot of Metallica so a sig kind of makes sense.
Also any certain body you like?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Ibanez or ESP. With either of those brands, you can get a really good guitar for relatively cheap. And if you're playing metal, you definitely should get one of those two. The RG necks on Ibanez RGs are fast, as well as the necks on the ESP's. If you don't have a relatively large budget, I'd say stay far away from BC Rich. They draw you in with their looks, but once you play one you'll wish you hadn't.
Quote by mrmystic
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_kirk.html
^Kirk Hammet Sig guitars
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_james.html
^James Hetfield Sig guitars
You said you play a lot of Metallica so a sig kind of makes sense.
Also any certain body you like?

I like the iron cross type but i also wanto play a lot of lead so a kirk hammet sig makes sense. how must would one of these cost cause it doesnt say on the website???
Quote by sgwielder
Any low end BC i've tried has played and sounded exactly just like that - a cheap guitar.

^this, really, if you can go out and try all the guitar in your price range and that you like.
low end bc rich are not worth the price usually,but maybe you can find a better one between a lot of bad one , who knows?
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Quote by Steve 101
I like the iron cross type but i also wanto play a lot of lead so a kirk hammet sig makes sense. how must would one of these cost cause it doesnt say on the website???

The Iron Cross model has a street price of $9999. The KH-2 in black goes for $8999.

The one closest to your price range are the LTS KH-202 (second from the bottom on the Kirk Hammet page) at ~$470. The cheapest Hetfield one is the LTD, which is still over a grand I think.
ESP's are great for you right now. EC401VF/FM go for it their great
To the TS, do you even know how to play yet? Just curious. You said you've owned a guitar for a year, never said how long you been playing. I say this because often times people actually own guitars for quite awhile before giving them honest tries. I acknowledge the urge to buy a new guitar, but don't do it so soon, you don't want to make the mistake of wasting money on expensive new gear when you're not even sure what you would want just yet, considering I don't think you have enough experience to really know what you want.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Nov 12, 2009,
The cheapest Hetfield one is like $370. Either that or my local guitra store is pretty stupid...
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
One thing you should have asked is "What should I stay away from in guitars?" Because if you don't know that you could get a bad guitar. There's a lot more to a good guitar than most people think, The biggest thing being the neck and frets.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.