I always wondered how bands like Rush and Motley Crue are able to use so many backing tracks live like backing vocals, synth, ect. How the hell are they able to do this and wouldn't it be dangerous in case the band played the song live too fast or too slow so tht the backing track would be all ****ed up? Please inform me

Edit: I remember being in a drama club play in 8th grade and instead of getting a pianist or a small pit orchestra the director just used a cd and it ended up as a disaster cuz nobody could hear the cd so nothing was in sync lol.
Last edited by KileManA7X at Nov 11, 2009,
Well if you use a click track, then you don't need to worry about going too fast/slow. I don't think Rush uses any backing tracks, though. Everything they do is live.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
honestly of all bands i dont think Rush is one to worry about being on tempo..
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Well if you use a click track, then you don't need to worry about going too fast/slow. I don't think Rush uses any backing tracks, though. Everything they do is live.

Youtube search for "Neil Peart R30 drum solo". Skip to the ending swing/jazz part.

Unless they've got a full orchestra on tour with them every show, they're using a backing track.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Quote by TisPyon
honestly of all bands i dont think Rush is one to worry about being on tempo..

+1 those guys are great
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Spoony_Bard

This.

I read somewhere they don't record things they couldn't pull off live.
I don't wanna sound like an ass, or too obvious.. but maybe their talent in music is why they can get a stadium full of people? Talent is what they use to stay in sync
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Rush activate backing parts via pedals on stage.. For this work I assume Neil plays to a click.

+1.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Rehearsal..?

And the Neil Peart thing that somebody mentioned..with something like that, someone would trigger it at some sort of cue that Neil knows, it's probably not on a timer or anything that your thinking of
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Rush activate backing parts via pedals on stage.. For this work I assume Neil plays to a click.

This sounds interesting what are these pedals called? And to all of you who say Rush don't use backing tracks how do you explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzGbFdl_mw&feature=related

How is the keyboard part being played while Geddy is singing and playing bass? Also when they play Roll the Bones live there is clearly a harmony of Geddy in the chorus backing him up check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JloLAU5FgUQ&feature=related

Edit: I noticed Geddy keeps stepping or kicking something on the ground is there some kind of pedal that he steps on that plays the backing tracks? idk how else to explain how there is keyboard when Geddy is playing bass and singing. If so what is this kind of pedal called?
Last edited by KileManA7X at Nov 11, 2009,
On the 7th day, God created monitor speakers.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by KileManA7X
This sounds interesting what are these pedals called? And to all of you who say Rush don't use backing tracks how do you explain this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzGbFdl_mw&feature=related

How is the keyboard part being played while Geddy is singing and playing bass? Also when they play Roll the Bones live there is clearly a harmony of Geddy in the chorus backing him up check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JloLAU5FgUQ&feature=related

Edit: I noticed Geddy keeps stepping or kicking something on the ground is there some kind of pedal that he steps on that plays the backing tracks? idk how else to explain how there is keyboard when Geddy is playing bass and singing. If so what is this kind of pedal called?

I believe it's called an MIDI pedal or device or something.
GEAR:

Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Special Model LP
Ruben Flores Classical
Peavey Vypyr 75
Cry Baby Wah