Hey all, so I'm looking at the VT30 for my next amp, but the one thing that worries me is that I might not be able to get the most out of it. I prefer to use dedicated pedals rather than built in effects (have a Boss OS-2, BF-2, and a Digitech Synth Wah right now), and I've heard that certain amps don't take pedals very well- is this the case with the VT30? And can I use the amp modeling feature if I'm on the clean channel?

Sorry if these are vague questions, just want to know if I'd be getting a good deal for my money.
Modeling amps in general don't take pedals well and the Vox VT is no exception.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
The VT's greatest strength is a lot of versatility, and its not the best with pedals (though a lot better than a few others I know off)

You should probably go for a similarly priced Tube Amp if wish to use your pedals to their best
it won't be good. although by some extraordinary chance it is possible for modelling amps to take pedals well, that idea is probably still on the drawing board and not yet produced.

the thing about the Valvetronix is that it uses something similar to a computer board to model other amps and effects. as such, it was designed to take a raw guitar signal and alter it for it's intended results.

if you send in a signal that has already been through one or more pedals, the likelihood for the valvetronix is that it will sound like shit.

that being said, not all modelling amps sound like shit with all pedals. there are exceptions.

i used to a own a Roland Cube 30X. i found the in-built chorus to be inadequate for my needs and thus ran a Small Clone in front of it. it worked fine. but i'm sure it was because that was just a chorus pedal.

if you run distortion pedals, especially high gain modern sounding stuff in front of the valvetronix, you can guess what will happen.

my suggestion would be to get a low wattage tube amp if you really like running pedals that much. dare i say it, Epiphone Valve Junior? or perhaps a blackheart Killer Ant.

i used to own a killer ant, and my god it really took pedals well. it was lovely.
Last edited by sharp__edge at Nov 11, 2009,
I'll have you all know that the Vox VT takes pedals very well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I'll have you all know that the Vox VT takes pedals very well.

well, i was just speculating the results of running pedals infront of modelling amps from my previous experiences.
Thanks for the advice, guys (especially sharp__edge). Definitely going to be researching tube amps, now.

And sharp__edge, I'm looking at the Killer Ant, but is my only option to get a head and a stack? Going that route would cost about twice as much for me (GC has the head+stack priced at $320 vs. the VT30's $203-$50 rebate=$150 price), which isn't really ideal for me.

And do you think that VT30 would take pedals well enough to be considered a good investment? I mean, practically anything's going to be better than my current MG15CDR, but I just want to know I'm getting the best bang for my buck.
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Nov 11, 2009,
the killer ant only comes as a head. no combo. you can look out for an epiphone valve junior combo

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-103236469-i1145291.gc.

but you have to know this: the valve jr and killer ant are on the other extreme end of the spectrum as they have ZERO in-built features other than a volume knob.

if you're looking into running multi-fx units like the Pod X3 Live or Boss GT-10, you should stay away from low wattage tube amps. the lack of clean headroom will cause tube overdrive to get into your sound if you try to play louder.

i'm not sure exactly how well the Valvetornix will take your pedals. Im guessing that your OS-2 and BF-2 will not sound that good.

however, i think you should ask Raijouta for an exact answer. i think he has spent time working with a valvetronix before.
Hmm, that Valve Jr.'s looking a lot more tempting now... And while I don't use multi-FX too much (have an RP70, but more use it for finding new sounds I like, like finding out I love pitch shifting and delays), I want to add more pedals to my pedalboard in the future. Would having too many pedals in a line cause issues with the Valve Jr.?

Also, what about Orange amps? I've heard good things about them (my friend raves about them all the time+people on here), would they be something to look out for?

edit: Also, looking at the Valve Jr., I'm kinda concerned about the lack of EQ controls. Is this a major issue, or something that could be remedied with an EQ pedal?
Last edited by GuerillaGorilla at Nov 11, 2009,
shit, i'm sorry if i have confused you. i apologise to all other UGers as well.

understand this: your pedals are supposed to work with the tube amp. if you run your OS-2 in front of the amp, the OS-2 is supposed to make the amp sound better. not the amp making the OS-2 sound better.

don't view the amp as just a platform to get pure pedal sound. you need to choose an amp that has a sound you like. then use the pedals to enhance the sound of the amp.

don't base your rig around your pedals. you should base your pedals around the amp.

so going back to the valve jr, if you're getting that amp, make sure you really like that amp for what it is. don't get it just coz it seems like a good platform for the pedals.

the valve jr has no eq, you have to take note of that. and EQ pedals can't replace the 3 band eq on an amp. so yeah. take note of that.
Huh, I see what you're saying now. But I love using pedals and don't want to feel like I've wasted money on them ($350-ish?) going to an amp that can't properly utilize them. I prefer the way the VT30 sounds, but I don't want to have to feel like my options are either to use the onboard effects or use pedals and have them detract from the amp's sound, rather than just modifying or adding to it.

But thanks for explaining all this to me. It's good to know that I should be looking for a good amp sound rather than something will sound good with my pedals. I just don't want to have to turn my back on my pedals with a new amp, plus this is giving me a good look into the world of tube amps.