hey everyone so I started this to see your opinion on if smoking weed before your about to shred the old axe actually increases your skill level/mindset on the guitar?....well have at her and smoke a joint! Thx all
From what I've heard, weed can make you more creative, less creative, or have no effect as far as creativity goes. It would depend on the person (like being an angry drunk versus a depressed drunk versus a drunk drunk or however that story goes). As far as skills go, I don't weed will make you a better player. I'm reasonably certain after a good dosage it will start to decrease your motor skills. At a small dose, I would expect it to give a little help, but nothing particularly significant.

I'm straight edge, so this stuff isn't from experience. I expect to be corrected.
i don't know why i feel so dry
It makes me more creative and inspired, but sometimes i feel less technically proficient when im super baked.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
I've found weed does one of two things to my playing:

1) Because I'm not very good in the first place, it makes my playing even worse, to the point where I almost can't play anything at all.
2) Slows it down, but increases the feeling behind it. Half the time my little improv riffs go no where, but sometimes they sound amazing... if only to me.

All said and done, marijuana and guitar playing don't go hand-in-hand for me... not yet anyway. I just don't have the technical ability sober to play well stoned.
For me? I usually have to settle into the situation, but once I'm comfortable I find that I'm able to focus more and my mind doesn't get cluttered with useless thoughts.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
well, i think weed helps make music in your head, but im really bad at guitar when im high. i just cant do it. i try to write down melodies and riffs and shit that i think up though.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
For me? I usually have to settle into the situation, but once I'm comfortable I find that I'm able to focus more and my mind doesn't get cluttered with useless thoughts.

Actually, assuming I'm not TOO high, this.
When I play with a band, the quality of my improvising just goes through the roof. This is actually true, as I've recorded this a few times, and listened to it non-high, and it really is better.

I guess it makes it easier for me to get into 'the zone' when improvising, when everthing just goes right, and stay there, whereas normally it's more of a fleeting thing.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I just end up laying on my bed hitting random notes and thinking it is fun a shit for a good long while until I fall asleep.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Eastwinn
From what I've heard, weed can make you more creative, less creative, or have no effect as far as creativity goes. It would depend on the person (like being an angry drunk versus a depressed drunk versus a drunk drunk or however that story goes). As far as skills go, I don't weed will make you a better player. I'm reasonably certain after a good dosage it will start to decrease your motor skills. At a small dose, I would expect it to give a little help, but nothing particularly significant.

I'm straight edge, so this stuff isn't from experience. I expect to be corrected.

Spot on. Weed does generally slow down motor function, but I suspect that those who play high alot probably get used to it. It'd basically be like playing underwater or strength training (but backwards).
Take this as just a speculation, since UG has a lot of fools that think everyone is speaking in an empirical and objective manner. Or they take things too literally.
I don't smoke weeed, buit I have played with alot of people who do an played with them whilst they wer stoned, and i can tell you this, IT MAKES YOU SOUND LIKE SHIT! Thats right, I have yet to meet anyone who plays better, it just makes you think you sound better, just like when you get pissed and think your jokes are funnier.

The only reason it could mak you better is by lowering your inhibitions and thus freeing your mind of shackles, and relxing you, but thees loads of other ways to do that without drugs imho.
Quote by Zakattak264
nope. it only works if every1 is high 2. but drunk is a whole nother story

i would like to add... the level of highness affects ur playing as such:

More High=less technical, made a few nice rhythm riffs. if every1 else is as high or more, sounds great.

Little High (like 4 hits)=really just relaxes you. can helpbut it can also go wrong.

everyone has to figure their own thing out. there is no definate response, u just have 2 figure ur own way. listen to a high technicallity (COB, some LoG, shut that u wanna sound like) band while ur gettin blazed and keep guitar in hand.

sry if any of this dosent make any sense, cuz i utilized my left hand, if u no wat i mean
I'm playing high now. I think it help's improves flow in slow hand in jamming and it makes you do things you wouldnt ordinarily do in a scale. But when you get to fast you get sloppy it sounds good high but its one of the things that you can tell in sobriety sounds like shit.

SO

Slowhand+Creative Improv+++++

but

Precision and Speed------
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
I don't smoke weeed, buit I have played with alot of people who do an played with them whilst they wer stoned, and i can tell you this, IT MAKES YOU SOUND LIKE SHIT! Thats right, I have yet to meet anyone who plays better, it just makes you think you sound better, just like when you get pissed and think your jokes are funnier.

The only reason it could mak you better is by lowering your inhibitions and thus freeing your mind of shackles, and relxing you, but thees loads of other ways to do that without drugs imho.

You must be hanging out with the talentless crowd.

Let's all look at the mainstay here: Jimi Hendrix. You know that guy played blazed half the time.
Quote by freakstylez
You must be hanging out with the talentless crowd.

Let's all look at the mainstay here: Jimi Hendrix. You know that guy played blazed half the time.

True, and Hendrix is my favourite player, but I would add a couple of things to that, 1. How many of us are Hendrix ?
2. Some of his live stuff was pretty inconsistent, I don't think being high heped him the whole time
3. Not Hendrix related but SRV claimed he played better after he sobered up and got of drugs and alcohol, an others have said similarly.
Quote by freakstylez
Actually, assuming I'm not TOO high, this.

This would go for me too, in retrospect.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
when Im stoned (like now) I have more interest in guitar. Its like I put way more emotion and thought into my playing. Doing a gig stoned was definally the best experience too (only one tho). Granted setting my equipment up was just too much to do lol.
All of the (few) times I played while stoned, I absolutely hated it. I didn't have the motivation or fire to tear the fretboard up. I jammed with some friends for 2 hours on one riff, and I could honest-to-God come up with nothing other than that riff.

My creative process, and my playing in general, relies on a constant fluctuation between varying degrees of tension (or relaxation) and attitudes, and when Im stoned, the only thing I could manage was "relaxed" and "stupid".

I keep sober when performing or writing. Although a beer or two is fine.

Playing with stoners can be a real pain in the ass, too, because they tend to zone out and miss changes and cues, and it ruins the whole song.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
True, and Hendrix is my favourite player, but I would add a couple of things to that, 1. How many of us are Hendrix ?
2. Some of his live stuff was pretty inconsistent, I don't think being high heped him the whole time
3. Not Hendrix related but SRV claimed he played better after he sobered up and got of drugs and alcohol, an others have said similarly.

I was mostly just joking, 9 times out of 10 I'm willing to bet, as a general rule, weed decreases your ability to play guitar. But, like anything, under the right conditions and circumstances, it has the potential to boost it instead.

So I think we've all established rather quickly that weed can have a positive effect on your playing, but that moderation is key.

A wise man once said balance is the key to life.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I dont like weed. I perfer LSD or shrooms.

Yea I also hear playing while ripped on mushrooms enhances as well
Quote by Buffalowings89
hey everyone so I started this to see your opinion on if smoking weed before your about to shred the old axe actually increases your skill level/mindset on the guitar?....well have at her and smoke a joint! Thx all

Well. you generally feel pretty good, and that can effect your performance...... for good or for bad. I wouldn't say it increases your skill though. Practice/ playing alot is good for that.
shred is gaudy music
Gentlemen, I will say now the best drug to play guitar or ANY music on is

EX

Done it several times live, and according to the crowd we were much better the times my bandmates and I did x. You will need a shitton of water though.
Lots of pedals.
I've never heard anyone who is better while intoxicated than sober. Some people seem to still be able to play equally well, but I doubt it would actually make you better. I've never been, high but when I've been drunk, I know my playing is very sloppy, and I can't really do much other than a few open chords, and bad singing.
Quote by freakstylez
I was mostly just joking, 9 times out of 10 I'm willing to bet, as a general rule, weed decreases your ability to play guitar. But, like anything, under the right conditions and circumstances, it has the potential to boost it instead.

So I think we've all established rather quickly that weed can have a positive effect on your playing, but that moderation is key.

A wise man once said balance is the key to life.

Agreed 100%. Moderation is always the key, except for guitar, in whichcase too much is never enough lol
Check out this Band Handfull of Peter. Any questions?
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by isaac_bandits
I've never heard anyone who is better while intoxicated than sober. Some people seem to still be able to play equally well, but I doubt it would actually make you better. I've never been, high but when I've been drunk, I know my playing is very sloppy, and I can't really do much other than a few open chords, and bad singing.

The thing with x is that I feel like it's alot easier to experiment, and not in a bad way. I mean like I can play to my full ability, which I can't always do live. (anixety disorders and shit)

Might just be me.
Lots of pedals.
Quote by diminishedtobme
I dont like weed. I perfer LSD or shrooms.

I believe the Smiths' drummer auditioned while tripping on shrooms

I've played while on drugs to various consequences, both good and bad. So I can't really offer much there I'm afraid. It definitely has potential for good, but probably higher potential for bad.
Quote by Skunk Force 9
The thing with x is that I feel like it's alot easier to experiment, and not in a bad way. I mean like I can play to my full ability, which I can't always do live. (anixety disorders and shit)

Might just be me.

Yeah it definitely could help with nervousness.
i read briefly through this thread,its quite hilarious!
i`m taking painkillers (lots of them) every day,as i suffer from chronic pains like a year now.
so i`m high most of the day. i did notice i play the guitar more than the usual,
also i get the mood to transcribe stuff. i take my meds and later put on my headphones and watch the becker AIM clinic and continue to tab it.

guess being in chronic pain does pay off ,somehow...
For me, playing/listening isnt better or worse high-its just different.

Dont know how else to describe it.

I guess when Im high, I can SEE the notes. Each note is like its own line. And the lines are different colors and thicknesses and textures depending on what instrument, volume, etc etc. Sometimes, I also start to see a movie in my head of what the music is doing.

When you jam high, its like going on an adventure sort of.
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits

Actually, I sing better drunk then sober

My playing really turns to shit though because I'm just so relaxed that my hand refuse to move at the speed I want them to.
look at my user name

/nuff said

edit: actually no, although i love to get high, i will say most of the musicians i've heard while high didn't sound very good. theres exceptions but if you guys all think you're awesome while f#cked up you should record yourself and listen to it later. REALLY listen to it later, i bet you'll hear all sorts of messed up dirty parts, or even better "where was i going with that?" or better yet just simply "what was i thinking?"
Last edited by z4twenny at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by ConfederateAxe

Playing with stoners can be a real pain in the ass, too, because they tend to zone out and miss changes and cues, and it ruins the whole song.

my lead singer used to smoke a little before shows every so often. so long as he didnt overdo it, he was fine and the show didnt hurt from it. he claims it helps him focus and relax more. the few times he admittedly smoked a little too much, he did flub some of the lyrics and missed some chord changes, and he spoke whatever was on his mind no matter if it made sense!

im not an amazing guitarist to begin with, but all it takes is a little buzz for me to completely suck. as far as drums, i can tolerate more alcohol, but after a while i start doing fills way to often because i get overexcited or something

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

An interesting debate, but hardly a musical technique.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud