I just bought a Crate V33H with a Blue Voodoo cab for $150 (I KNOW!). The cleans are pristine but when I turn it to the gain channel it sounds very flubby, like there's not much gain at all. Of course, I'm not expecting a 5150 (I'm gonna resell the head eventually, mostly bought for the cab), but I've played the V series before and the gain wasn't like this. I'm thinking a bad preamp tube, what do you guys think?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
could be why it was for sale.

yea - preamp tube sounds like the issue. get a high gain 12ax7 if you want to squeeze the most out of it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Get it modded to SLO specs if you want even MOAR out of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Gregs - That's what I was thinking. Atleast it's in working condition and I only need to buy some preamp tubes. This is my first tube amp so

Raijouta - Planning to mod it, depending if I sell to put towards my 5150/6505 eventually. This amp is more for my other guitarist to run his effects processor through, although I kept the cab lol.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Yeah, one of the preamp tubes is probably bad on it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
does the amp have a boost switch or something?
I have a Classic 30 and it sounds absolutely terrible with the boost on.
Just make sure you check all your knobs and stuff before you spend money...
one time i thought my amp sucked and got scared....of course my stupid self didnt realize the tone on my guitar was all the way at 0
^Yeah I have checked everything, including the boost switch. But I am going to swap out the preamp tubes and mod it to make it brighter. Thanks for the help guys!
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Boost it.
^I'm going to.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
^Yeah I have checked everything, including the boost switch. But I am going to swap out the preamp tubes and mod it to make it brighter. Thanks for the help guys!

wat tubes did you have in mind?
Eurotubes.com probably has a good set of JJ's for your amp.
U can get a high gain set of 12ax7's(i'm assuming it uses that) for pretty cheap and JJ's seem to be very reliable not to mention awesome

they sure beat the hell out of the Sovteks i had
Quote by herrotim
wat tubes did you have in mind?
Eurotubes.com probably has a good set of JJ's for your amp.
U can get a high gain set of 12ax7's(i'm assuming it uses that) for pretty cheap and JJ's seem to be very reliable not to mention awesome

they sure beat the hell out of the Sovteks i had

I was thinking about a 12AX7 for V1 and 12AT7's for V2 and V3. That way my clean channel won't be affected too much. Think it'll work out for me? And if you have any info on the amp, I need to know if i need to bias the power tubes or if it's fixed bias. Could you shed some light?
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
^I'm going to.

That's all you really need to do.

What speakers are in the BV cab? I'd go with a Greenback type speaker, personally.

These things have a lot of low end for an EL84 amp, and a speaker with a good high-mid focus like a Greeny or even a V30 helps focus the sound a bit.

Just using a Bad Monkey and cutting the bass a bit helps.

They also really open up once you get to about 3-4 on the master volume.
Quote by imgooley
That's all you really need to do.

What speakers are in the BV cab? I'd go with a Greenback type speaker, personally.

These things have a lot of low end for an EL84 amp, and a speaker with a good high-mid focus like a Greeny or even a V30 helps focus the sound a bit.

Just using a Bad Monkey and cutting the bass a bit helps.

They also really open up once you get to about 3-4 on the master volume.

Thanks man, I will keep all this in mind! I'm just gonna pop new tubes in soon. In the BV cab I'm assuming they're stock, so I'll eventually get some V30's to go in there. Do you know if the amp is fixed bias or not?

But for $150, I can't complain
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
I was thinking about a 12AX7 for V1 and 12AT7's for V2 and V3. That way my clean channel won't be affected too much. Think it'll work out for me? And if you have any info on the amp, I need to know if i need to bias the power tubes or if it's fixed bias. Could you shed some light?

A) It's cathode bias
B) I run a GE 5751 in V3 and a Jan Phillips 12AT7 in V1. It takes a bit of the ice pick off the clean channel and adds some definition to the overdrive.
Quote by imgooley
A) It's cathode bias
B) I run a GE 5751 in V3 and a Jan Phillips 12AT7 in V1. It takes a bit of the ice pick off the clean channel and adds some definition to the overdrive.

Thank you so much!

Btw, cathode meaning I need to bias or I don't? Sorry I'm new to tube amp maintenance.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Thanks man, I will keep all this in mind! I'm just gonna pop new tubes in soon. In the BV cab I'm assuming they're stock, so I'll eventually get some V30's to go in there. Do you know if the amp is fixed bias or not?

But for $150, I can't complain

What are you boosting with?

Like I said, all you really need is a boost. The tonal changes with new tubes are minuscule, really IMO. All lower gain tubes will really do is add a little more attack on the overdrive channel and raise the headroom a bit.
Quote by imgooley
What are you boosting with?

Like I said, all you really need is a boost. The tonal changes with new tubes are minuscule, really IMO. All lower gain tubes will really do is add a little more attack on the overdrive channel and raise the headroom a bit.

Probably a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Thank you so much!

Btw, cathode meaning I need to bias or I don't? Sorry I'm new to tube amp maintenance.

Cathode means self biasing.
^Thanks!
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss