I have an epip les paul and it has the alcino pickups and i recently got thicker gauge strings and its now in B standard i guess and it sounds like absolute shit like its insanely muddy and sounds just really bad. If i switched it out for something higher quality would it not sound bad.
Sorry for the late reply. But i have a mesa boogie rectoverb. Also my EQ is Bass at like 7 Mid at around 4 and Treble at around 9. Ill try messing around with it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should try more mids, tbh. And What is your prescence knob at?

+1

You could also (if not already doing so) Run a boost pedal up front. Like a Maxon OD 808, or Ibanez TS-9. This clears and tightens up quite nicely.

One more thing to try would be rolling back the gain a tad.
When your tone is muddy, it's usually because there's too much bass, too much gain and not enough mids.

Try lowering the bass, lowering the gain, and raising the mids.

If that still doesn't work, then change the pickups.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
When your tone is muddy, it's usually because there's too much bass, too much gain and not enough mids.

Try lowering the bass, lowering the gain, and raising the mids.

If that still doesn't work, then change the pickups.

+1

Also what gauge of strings are you using now? You'd need relatively thicker strings for B standard.

I've never heard of anyone go as low as B standard... if all else fails and you do need a pup change... I think you'll really really need a tight as hell pup... can't think of one right now tho.

Also I thought that if you wanted to go that low, you should be using a baritone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I tune to drop B with 54s. the looser your strings are the muddier your sound will get.
with 54s my tone is pretty clear and tight so the string gauge is not the problem.