All as bridge pups unless stated otherwise in parenthesis.

DiMarzio X2N

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup?sku=302021

DiMarzio Air Norton (as a neck pup)
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP193-Air-Norton-Pickup?sku=302704

Seymour Duncan Invader SH8 (as a neck pup)
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SH8-Invader-Pickup?sku=300070

Seymour Duncan Full Shred SH10
(http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh10_full_shred/)

Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/

NOW, let's say a guitar I have has a floyd and has active pups. How does switching out the batteries in active pups work anyhow and is it any different with a trem?

Taking that into consideration

Seymour Duncan Blackouts (bridge/neck)
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/

EMG 81/85 combo (bridge/neck)
http://www.emginc.com/products/category/1/1
http://www.emginc.com/products/index/2/6/1

Kerry King signature EMG set with PA2 Gain Boost switch (bridge/neck)
http://www.emginc.com/products/index/183/148/1

Kinda wanted some insight on these pickups. I'm interested in what each one can do, can't do. Which combination is right for me.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
X2N = super high gain, can't clean up, covers the natural tonewood of the guitar. Great for some extreme metal, sludge metal, doom metal. Great for Death (band). Limited applications.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
There's no direct relationship between a trem and batteries.

If you have a trem, and the guitar doesn't already have actives, then you may be able to consolidate trem springs to one side of the cavity to make room for a 9volt in there.

Lots of time there's enough room in the control cavity to stick the battery in there.

I wouldn't recommend either; kind of like redneck engineering IMHO. Plus you could easily strip out the screw holes in the wood under the cover plates.

I'd just get a battery box and route out the wood to make room for it. That's what I did to power the Sustainiac in my Schecter Avenger. No big deal. And really easy to switch out the battery that way with no tools, no muss, & no fuss.

Don't know about the SH-8 in the neck; have one in the bridge opposite the Sustainiac driver. Guess it's like my neck pup because the Sustainiac circuit uses signal from the bridge pup to emulate the neck pup (since the driver goes where the neck pup used to). I like it, but I have other guitars to play less aggressive genres.
Quote by jetwash69
There's no direct relationship between a trem and batteries.

If you have a trem, and the guitar doesn't already have actives, then you may be able to consolidate trem springs to one side of the cavity to make room for a 9volt in there.

Lots of time there's enough room in the control cavity to stick the battery in there.

I wouldn't recommend either; kind of like redneck engineering IMHO. Plus you could easily strip out the screw holes in the wood under the cover plates.

I'd just get a battery box and route out the wood to make room for it. That's what I did to power the Sustainiac in my Schecter Avenger. No big deal. And really easy to switch out the battery that way with no tools, no muss, & no fuss.

Don't know about the SH-8 in the neck; have one in the bridge opposite the Sustainiac driver. Guess it's like my neck pup because the Sustainiac circuit uses signal from the bridge pup to emulate the neck pup (since the driver goes where the neck pup used to). I like it, but I have other guitars to play less aggressive genres.

This is more because I'm getting a new guitar and I'm picking out new pups to put in (or not, two of the pups I listed are the actual pup combo that comes with the guitar)

Also, I couldn't hypothetically have actives put in a guitar that has/had passives if I take it to a guitar tech and pay them to do it? I'm a terrible handyman is it is.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Nov 11, 2009,
Well my playing style mainly revolves around thrash and death metal (when I write stuff I mainly come up with very thrashy stuff with slight death metal overtones).

Favorite bands include but are not limited to

Death, Trivium, Annihilator, Slayer Kiss, Sepultura, Children of Bodom, Cynic, Sylosis, Iron Maiden, John Petrucci, ACDC, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Death, Machine Head, Martyr, Judas Priest, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Control Denied and many more

In actuality I'm a fan of all sorts of metal, some hard rock, and scitter scatter in other genres for influence. I'm also a huge fan of progressive metal.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Well my playing style mainly revolves around thrash and death metal (when I write stuff I mainly come up with very thrashy stuff with slight death metal overtones).

Favorite bands include but are not limited to

Death, Trivium, Annihilator, Kiss, Sepultura, Children of Bodom, Cynic, Sylosis, Iron Maiden, John Petrucci, ACDC, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Death, Machine Head, Martyr, Judas Priest, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, Control Denied and many more

In actuality I'm a fan of all sorts of metal, some hard rock, and scitter scatter in other genres for influence. I'm also a huge fan of progressive metal.

Forget the X2N... it'll probably do Death and Cynic reasonably well.. and terrible for the others.

Considered the D-Activators?

The D Sonic will also be a great pup in the bridge, then you can pair it up with either an Air Norton or Evolution in your neck.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Forget the X2N... it'll probably do Death and Cynic reasonably well.. and terrible for the others.

Considered the D-Activators?

The D Sonic will also be a great pup in the bridge, then you can pair it up with either an Air Norton or Evolution in your neck.

The Air Norton was my initial pick for a neck pup so I agree with you there but what else besides the D-Activator?

Also Death is by far my favorite band and biggest influence. It's hard to say but because Death is an influence I write imo better. I use that influence in my thrashy stuff.

That being said I understand why the x2n might be an issue. So maybe we should scratch that one off.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention Slayer as one of my favorite bands and influences not that one band in that list will make a huge difference lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
DiMarzio:
Breed?
Crunch Lab?
D Sonic?
Super 2?
Super 3
Super Distortion?
Tone Zone?

Seymour Duncan:
Parallel Axis Distortion?
Duncan Distortion?

Bare Knuckle (Awesome stuff):
Miracle Man
Painkiller
Nailbomb (with high powered ceramic magnet)

Dude... what is your budget?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
DiMarzio:
Breed?
Crunch Lab?
D Sonic?
Super 2?
Super 3
Super Distortion?
Tone Zone?

Seymour Duncan:
Parallel Axis Distortion?
Duncan Distortion?

Bare Knuckle (Awesome stuff):
Miracle Man
Painkiller
Nailbomb (with high powered ceramic magnet)

Dude... what is your budget?

I mean pups usually go around 100$ each give or take amirite (about 200$ for a pair)? So yeah around there.

EDIT:

Also I appreciate the recommendations but before we get into that I'd like a little more insight on the remaining pups on the list.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I mean pups usually go around 100$ each give or take amirite (about 200$ for a pair)? So yeah around there.

EDIT:

Also I appreciate the recommendations but before we get into that I'd like a little more insight on the remaining pups on the list.

Sorry.. I forgot to ask... exactly what guitar are you getting... more specifically... what is the tonewood?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The Air Norton is quite the versatile neck pickup I've found. I've gotten so many different tones out of it, and its very warm without being muddy.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sure, you can have a tech install it for you if the guitar doesn't come with actives. They can get more money out of you for less work (per work unit) by taking those shortcuts I mentioned, so they are likely to suggest them. In other words, even though they'll charge less total to put the battery in your control cavity than to rout out for and install a battery compartment, they'll still be making more profit the other way.

BTW, another of my guitars has D-Activators & I'm very happy with those too. If you want to check them out, just find a guitar store that has an Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 or 700FX floor model. Also the Ibanez Destroyers now come with the wide bar pole version of the D-Activators if you wanna try those out (D-Activator X).
Quote by ragingkitty
Sorry.. I forgot to ask... exactly what guitar are you getting... more specifically... what is the tonewood?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-WR1-USA-Warrior?sku=511663

This droogie right here

Maple body, ebony fretboard
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-WR1-USA-Warrior?sku=511663

This droogie right here

Maple body, ebony fretboard

For that particular guitar... this jumps to mind immediately:

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion TB6
Neck: Parallel Axis Trembucker Original PATB-1

The Distortion will give your bridge a shearing and prominent tone, whereas the Parallel Axis will nicely give smoother sound (contributed from the ebony fretboard, which gives your neck position a "harder" sound) when you switch to the neck position.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
For that particular guitar... this jumps to mind immediately:

Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion TB6
Neck: Parallel Axis Trembucker Original PATB-1

The Distortion will give your bridge a shearing and prominent tone, whereas the Parallel Axis will nicely give smoother sound (contributed from the ebony fretboard, which gives your neck position a "harder" sound) when you switch to the neck position.

Let's say hypothetically speaking I wanted to keep both pickups of the same manufacturer. Let's say I wanted to go SD Distortion TB6 and another kind of SD pup for the neck.

And let's use the same scenario but Dimarzio.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Let's say hypothetically speaking I wanted to keep both pickups of the same manufacturer. Let's say I wanted to go SD Distortion TB6 and another kind of SD pup for the neck.

What's wrong with the PATB1?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

What's wrong with the PATB1?

Nothing at all. Just thinking out loud. This is hypothetical man lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Hmmm

For DiMarzio
Neck: Air Norton
Bridge: Breed / Super Distortion / Tone Zone / D Sonic (great fer da prog)

Seymour Duncan:
Neck: Maybe a Duncan Custom SH-5?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Man besides RagingKitty, this thread really isn't getting any love lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Because I don't know any other people who have a KEEN interest in pickups...

The only other person i know of is al112987, and he knows just as much, if not more than me about pickups. Better yet, he's dipped a lot into the Seymour Duncan pot whereas I dipped more into the DiMarzio pot...

For SD... he's da man.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Man besides RagingKitty, this thread really isn't getting any love lol.

You got too rich for everyone's blood with that sweet Jackson.

What amp are you gonna play it through, a Bogner Uberschall or a Mesa Mk IV ;-)
Quote by TheBodomBullet

The Parallel Axis is Duncan.
Quote by jetwash69
You got too rich for everyone's blood with that sweet Jackson.

What amp are you gonna play it through, a Bogner Uberschall or a Mesa Mk IV ;-)

Well for now just through my Bugera but after this I'm gonna start saving AGAIN (long and gratuitous amount of time I'm sure) to save for an ENGL Savage.

Also to above poster. I was unaware.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Ah, well, this is my personal opinion of all those options..

X2N - Personally, I thought it was terrible. I tried one in my Explorer once, and it's pretty harsh and sterile. There are many far better bridge pickups from DiMarzio.

Air Norton - Wonderful! It's my favorite neck pickup. Super versatile, as it can do warm, jazzy cleans, and it also likes high gain, so it works well for neck pickup shredding too.

I haven't tried The Invader or the Full Shred, but general consensus seems to be to avoid the Invader in most situations.

Duncan Distortion - A very nice bridge pickup. A good option to go with for some heavy chug chug riffage.

Haven't tried Blackouts or the Kerry King EMG's, but I used to have an EMG 81/60 combo in my explorer (and have played with an 85 too). You'll get lots of output, with razor sharp clarity, and tight bass response, so they're great at high gain stuff, but they can be pretty sterile sounding for cleans and crunch tones. I personally find them a bit too artificial sounding for my taste, and prefer slightly less hot pickups, so I stick with passives myself.

Now, that being said, a maple body with an ebony fretboard? Those are pretty bright tone woods. I think a Tone Zone/Air Norton is right up your alley (These are thick, warm pickups that will balance out nicely with brighter tone woods). Or the D-Sonic/Air Norton combo would probably be good for you too.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Ah, well, this is my personal opinion of all those options..

X2N - Personally, I thought it was terrible. I tried one in my Explorer once, and it's pretty harsh and sterile. There are many far better bridge pickups from DiMarzio.

Air Norton - Wonderful! It's my favorite neck pickup. Super versatile, as it can do warm, jazzy cleans, and it also likes high gain, so it works well for neck pickup shredding too.

I haven't tried The Invader or the Full Shred, but general consensus seems to be to avoid the Invader in most situations.

Duncan Distortion - A very nice bridge pickup. A good option to go with for some heavy chug chug riffage.

Haven't tried Blackouts or the Kerry King EMG's, but I used to have an EMG 81/60 combo in my explorer (and have played with an 85 too). You'll get lots of output, with razor sharp clarity, and tight bass response, so they're great at high gain stuff, but they can be pretty sterile sounding for cleans and crunch tones. I personally find them a bit too artificial sounding for my taste, and prefer slightly less hot pickups, so I stick with passives myself.

Now, that being said, a maple body with an ebony fretboard? Those are pretty bright tone woods. I think a Tone Zone/Air Norton is right up your alley (These are thick, warm pickups that will balance out nicely with brighter tone woods). Or the D-Sonic/Air Norton combo would probably be good for you too.

Thanks for the insight man. I think I really like the Air Norton in the neck so right now that's looking very appealing. Idk though.

Now I'm kind of a noob at guitar woods and how pups can either help bring out or sterilize the tone. So how exactly would the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo compliment the woods of the guitar?

Also, I really want to hear some in depth stuff from the X2N before I completely scratch that out. I haven't really heard too much from it other than from Death and a few youtube vids.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Yeah dude, np. The Air Norton is a great neck pickup for sure.

There's a thread somewhere in the gear building forum about all the different tone woods and how they sound. That would explain things in more depth than I can, haha. But basically, from what I've memorized about it, mahogany tends to be a rich, warm body wood, alder and basswood tend to be pretty well balanced (Alder probably slightly brighter), and things like maple, ebony, and walnut tend to be very bright (usually, but not always the case with dense, hard and heavy woods).

Tone charts on manufacturers web sites can help you figure out how a pickup might sound in your guitar. You don't want to put a bright sounding pickup in a bright sounding guitar, as it'll end up sounding shrill, harsh, and way too trebly. Likewise, a thick, dark sounding pickup like a Tone Zone would probably sound way muddy in mahogany. But at the end of the day, what makes tone good is all subjective.

Also, if you really want to try the X2N, DiMarzio has a 30-day exchange program if you don't like the way it sounds, so you won't be stuck with it if you decide you don't want it. If you're curious, EQ-wise, I find the X2N to be a pretty "flat" pickup. How bright or dark it is will depend on what guitar you put it in.

P.S: I have a few little tone testing/mix practicing recordings on my profile if you wanna hear a Tone Zone doing high gain stuff. It's in my japan-made Squier strat, which has a basswood body.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Nov 14, 2009,
ttt
-----
Currently using: