Page 1 of 3
as the title implies im hoping to make a 70s telecaster bass with a humbucker, split ps, and a jazz bridge... this is probably going to progrss slowly but eventually it will get finished

so ive been asking around for help alot on this build and i decided it was wrong to not show you guys what im up to while you were giving me help

ive been working onm this for a bit with a lot of f*** ups and i dont know hen the next addition will be due to the facit i need a new amp (f***in drummer) but yeah once i get a new amp im going to be dead set on finishing this baby

well i started out with this telebass neck my friend sold me he got it from warmoth i dont have pics but it was a reverse telebass neck (goin for the zz op look) and he gave it to me with tuners
later i bought these 2 babies off ebay

the body

original fender humbucker

turns out the body came with a few extras
the input jack, copper tape, and battery box

heres how everything was the day i had those 3 parts
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
i personally hated that ugly orange red color and got it sanded

then once some cash flow came in i bought me a new neck (i totally messed up the neck joint on the first one) besides it gave me an excuse to get one with a standard headstock only prblem is it doesnt have holes for the neck screws or the string retainer and its unfinished

then when i got 100 for my birthday i bought a pick guard and a vintage style telebasswilkinson bridge
now here is what i got (minus little things i bought like neck plate and such whick are in my case)

hope to come up with updates soon but at the rate im going i doubt it... atleast i got my story out
oh!! and ideas or constructive critisizm much apprecieated
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Last edited by killcram187 at Jan 5, 2010,
looks sexy
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
going to look great. i hated that shitty stain, looks much better now.
is that a guitar humbucker?

why?

otherwise, AWESOME!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
is that a guitar humbucker?

I only see 4 polepieces so I'm assuming its most definitely a bass pickup he has there.

Looks great. Are you going to paint it or leave it a natural color? I think you could go either way on this one and have it turn out great.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I only see 4 polepieces so I'm assuming its most definitely a bass pickup he has there.

Looks great. Are you going to paint it or leave it a natural color? I think you could go either way on this one and have it turn out great.

oh dang, you're totally right!!!!

in that case, AWESOME BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Tostitos

ha actually thats one of the things i havent sorted out yet
i either want it like snow white or like this

but if i do the above one i think i need to get some more sand paper to get allll of the orange off the sides and places where the sander couldnt reach
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
You have very pronounced grain on the body. That's a good thing. I would stain it light walnut or another color similar to your picture. Don't fret about getting all the orange out, it will make the grain "pop" more. I like where you are taking this!
i think your talking about the stains deep in the wood grain im talking about the stain on the side near the input jack and around the neck pocket
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
This looks pretty mad, dude. Do you mean Stratocaster bass though, not Tele? I'm just wondering if you're going to try and cut the upper horn off the body.
na this is a tele
for some reason fenders made telecaster basses with both horns
but it was a slab body (which i love)
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Ah wow, I didn't know that. It should look great if you stain it like the one in the picture.

Good luck with it mate, I'll keep watching.
just out of curiousity can someon tell me about how many knobs/pots i can fit in my bass?
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Thanks Ippon.

Killcram, depends on the size of the cavity, really, and the space on the pick-guard. You could always route more space if you wanted to add more, and drill some more holes.
thats the thing i dont have or know anybody that has a router so it could be hard if i cant fit what i want in there
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
You can get a usable router for a pretty decent price though. I'm not sure what prices are like in the US, but everything I've heard on these forums suggests that relative to what you'll be paying for this project, it's pretty economical. Not more than a couple of hundred bucks, I think.

Hard for me to say though, prices in Australia are a bit different. If you're looking to get into more customization/building in the future though, it seems to be a must-have bit of hardware. Pretty decent investment, might even be able to pick one up second-hand.
Widen the cavity that's already there for space?

The neck pup volume knob is almost touching the pickup, even though Sheehans first P looks cluttered, no one can deny its beauty.

Just read your first post again...a humbucker, a P pup AND a Jazz pup at the bridge? This is like a..60's Urge11 bass
how do i get the rest of the orange off the sides... ive been sanding all week but its bearly coming off, i had some sand paper laying around and i used it all up yet i still dont have it off.. ill post pics later (im posting this from my computer class)
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Last edited by killcram187 at Nov 20, 2009,
asked my dad
turns out its 220
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
ha ive narrowed down my finish choices
not really sure about the red but oh well
not that ican afford it right now but to get a goal in sight
lemmie know what you guys hink of the finishes
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/Compare.aspx?scid1=BP581&scid2=BP598&scid3=bp599&Body=2&Path=Body,PBass,72&Bass=1
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
im not too sure of my painting skills though and doing somthing transparent-ish would be hard because for somereason the sides of the body are either still colored(which im working on getting off) or completely natural, unline the fron and back which have red/orangeish in the grain
if you need pics lemmie know
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
side pics time!!!
sorry about lighting took em with my phone

first is the bottom which isnt really sanded so most the colors still there

treble side, just a but here and there where it starts to curve out of the dip

top, ive obviousley been working alot on the big horn but its still not all they way off... not to mention i still have o do the small horn...

bass side, same as trble side

the moral of the pics, i need lower grit sand paper
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
actually i got me a wilkinson vintage style tilt saddle bridge
it looks just like the original telecaster bass ones
and thats how i keep it all together in my case
whatever wont fit in the storage spaces (pick guard, humbucker...)
i place it where it would go on the bass and close the case up

EDIT:just looked it up, i dont think a bad ass bridge would matter anyways because i have the bridge holes set up for through body string loading
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Last edited by killcram187 at Nov 21, 2009,
okay ive finally decided how i want evrything problem is i need to know if the stuff i want in it will work out, if anyone could give me wiring diagram or someadvice on this i would freaking love you,

anyways i allready have the humbucker and i have decided on dimarzio split p DP127's for the p bass pickups and as for the jazz bridge i want the Seymour Duncan SJB3 Quarter Pound

im hoping to have it wired with 3 stacked concentric knobs, one set going to each pickup, (i.e. stacked knob 1 controlls humbucker tone and vol., stacked knob 2 controlls split p's tone and vol., and stacked knob 3 controlls j bridge tone and vol. )
where the problem starts is i want to make use of the battery route so i looked around and found this

http://www.bestbassgear.com/btb-01-preamp.htm

but i cant find any wiring diagrams, on top of that i dont know if its for passive or active pickups, but mostly i wan to know if i can wire this up to wok with all 3 sets of pickups

hopefully someone here has one or knows about this
cheers guys
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
i am now dead set how i want to finish this (unless the preamp wont work with the pickups)

first i want the body white, and im gonna get all the hardware (tuners, knobs, nut, screws and whatnot) black , the humbucker and the bridge are gonna be the only things not white or black im buying some white pickup covers for the split p's and the jazz pickup to make em blend in with the body color

then im hoping to get the humbucker wired to a stacked concentric pot how i wanted, and get the p's and the bridge pup wired to a stacked agular obp-2 (vol/vol treble/bass)
(http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-obp2-preamp.htm the one last one)

this wiring setup (if it works) will save me the hassle of routing out more room for knobs
and im pretty sure this will all work out (correct me if it wont)

lemmie know what you think

P.S. i spent 200 bucks on the ampeg it works perfectly and was a steal
all i need is a head and this bass project is full steam ahead!!
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
well today i didnt do much but i finally got all my measurements done and i took it to my uncle who owns a construction company to use his drill press,

got my corners lined up

everythins nice and level

LET THE DRILLING BEGIN!!!!!

and im done

later when i get a nut and tuners im going to drill the holes into the neck
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
i was going through the stew mac website and i saw that they have the bullet trussrod adjusters, i was gonna get one for my bass but it looks like it adjusts at the bottom, but....

it has like a brown type of wood in the spot where the hole would be for truss rod adjustment (or whatever you call it) on other instruments
i was wondering if i could drill out that brown wood or take it out somehow and add the bullet trss rod adjuster to i can adjust it from the top??

OHH and i got me an ampeg b2re head for 400 dollars, so this means my quest for n amo is done and every extra dollar i get is goin straight torwards my bass, i allready ordered some copper tape a black string retainer and a pbass pickup template
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187

it has like a brown type of wood in the spot where the hole would be for truss rod adjustment (or whatever you call it) on other instruments
i was wondering if i could drill out that brown wood or take it out somehow and add the bullet trss rod adjuster to i can adjust it from the top??

Sorry dude, the anchor is on that side. You won't be able to put a nut on the wrong end of the truss rod.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
dammnmnnnn so that random brown wood stuff it just there for show?!
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187
dammnmnnnn so that random brown wood stuff it just there for show?!

That's probably rosewood. It's there to fill in the cavity drilled to install the truss rod.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Page 1 of 3