Hey UG,
I've had some spare money recently fall into my hands and felt it should be spent into upgrading some of my current gear, since I'm becoming bored.

I have $200 and was looking at what I could do with my guitar. I love the looks of Bigsbys on Les Paul's and I've heard they can increase sustain and tone value, but I also would really like to have a new set of Seymour Duncan's put in aswell. The set of Seymours is just $10 less then the Bigsby. I plan on selling my distortion box aswell, which could possibly add $30 to my budget.

Please don't tell me that I should put the money into a new amp, because im getting a Christmas bonus soon, which will give me more money then I need for a new amp, and I know what thats going towards anyways.

So please, fire away your suggestions.

Links of both products are posted below if you're interested in looking at them.

Bigsby:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bigsby-B7-Arch-Top-SolidBody-Bridge?sku=300207

Seymours (the price is the same for the neck pup):

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=583282

Also here is a link to my LP. I think the Bigsby would make this guitar even more of a head turner:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IdntNedUrCvlWar/pictures/gear/553919/683035
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Nov 11, 2009,
Bigsby bitch. LP pickups are fine. u dont need symour duncans just remove the cover from the pickup
Quote by mmcool5595
Bigsby bitch. LP pickups are fine. u dont need symour duncans just remove the cover from the pickup

Care to elaborate? The pickups in my guitar now are completely different then the Seymours.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
but the les pauls pick ups are chosen specificaly to create a great sound. if the pickups under the metal covers are the same as mine, you probably already have seymour duncans anyway.
Quote by mmcool5595
but the les pauls pick ups are chosen specificaly to create a great sound. if the pickups under the metal covers are the same as mine, you probably already have seymour duncans anyway.

The pickups are 490R and 490T....
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
New pickups aren't going to make much difference with that MG and Guitar Rig Mobile of yours. I'd go the bigsby if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket, otherwise, save it for a decent amp.
Wow we sound like the ****ing GG&A, guys. Cool ya jets.

TS:
Do you want the bigsby for looks or because you genuinely believe it will improve your guitar's playability? The two things you need to remember about bigsby bridges is that they require drilling to install as well as potentially create LOTS of tuning problems.

If you do choose to get a bigsby you'll probably also want to get some quality locking tuners such as sperzels or gotohs, especially since stock tuners on most Gibbys are awful.

Personally, I would go with the Seymour Duncans, I haven't had much experience with the specific one in your link, but they really are some of the nicest mainstream passives out there. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and am planning on installing some new ones into one of my guitars fairly soon.

The Duncans will definitely give you a significantly better tone than the stock LP Studio pups you currently have in your guitar whereas the Bigsby will require drilling to install as well as create a multitude of tuning problems that you'll get sick of dealing with all in the name of aesthetics.
Quote by consecutive e
New pickups aren't going to make much difference with that MG and Guitar Rig Mobile of yours. I'd go the bigsby if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket, otherwise, save it for a decent amp.

Did you even read the last half of what I said...?

Quote by Schism1985
Wow we sound like the ****ing GG&A, guys. Cool ya jets.

TS:
Do you want the bigsby for looks or because you genuinely believe it will improve your guitar's playability? The two things you need to remember about bigsby bridges is that they require drilling to install as well as potentially create LOTS of tuning problems.

If you do choose to get a bigsby you'll probably also want to get some quality locking tuners such as sperzels or gotohs, especially since stock tuners on most Gibbys are awful.

Personally, I would go with the Seymour Duncans, I haven't had much experience with the specific one in your link, but they really are some of the nicest mainstream passives out there. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them and am planning on installing some new ones into one of my guitars fairly soon.

The Duncans will definitely give you a significantly better tone than the stock LP Studio pups you currently have in your guitar whereas the Bigsby will require drilling to install as well as create a multitude of tuning problems that you'll get sick of dealing with all in the name of aesthetics.

I am aware of tuning issues, and I should have mentioned I intend on installing a rolling bridge to help this but I also like the Bigsby because of it's tonal capabilities and you really have to admit, it makes your guitar look drop dead gorgeous.

Drilling holes = AOK
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Did you even read the last half of what I said...?

I am aware of tuning issues, and I should have mentioned I intend on installing a rolling bridge to help this but I also like the Bigsby because of it's tonal capabilities and you really have to admit, it makes your guitar look drop dead gorgeous.

Drilling holes = AOK

Sorry I missed that, You didn't really tell us what kind of tone you're going for with these new pickups.
And for the bigsby there are screw-less mounts available for them, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them.
Quote by consecutive e
Sorry I missed that, You didn't really tell us what kind of tone you're going for with these new pickups.
And for the bigsby there are screw-less mounts available for them, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of them.

What im really aiming for is versatility in my guitar. I enjoy blues, jazz and rock. Really anything from BB King to Slash. I've been told that these pickups will suit the blues and rock very well and I have tried them in a Les Paul and the tone was very much of what I like. The cleans aren't too bright and I like the fact that they're just a little bit gritty and not muddy at all. I figure that this pickup combination along with a Bigsby and a future DSL 401, I could eventually get the sound I enjoy and want.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe