Looking to buy a new tube amp im getting sick of my Hot Rod Deluxe. I play classic rock, psychedelic, indie poprock, jam band (phish, grateful dead) and dip into a bit of twang. Play some hard rock but no metal. I love the fender clean but none of their amps have good overdrive. Been looking into Mesa Boogie Express's or Lonestars. I got about 1,500 to spend.
you say you like fender cleans but need an OD, just get a fender and a pedal. this way you get best of both worlds.
I got pedals. I need a overdrive channel for tones ala zeppelin and allman brothers
why do you need a channel if you have a pedal? cleans amps(especially fenders) sound amazing when theyre pushed more.

do you like fenders cleans or not anymore
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Riveras are known to have a Fender-y clean channel with a Marshall overdrive channel, which sounds like what you want.
Because overdrives such as marshalls and mesas can't be duplicated via pedals.
Quote by unk0wn
Because overdrives such as marshalls and mesas can't be duplicated via pedals.

you clearly haven't tried any good pedals then. most people can't even tell the difference between a marshall plexi and a tone bone british distortion pedal.
the Mesa Express is a good shout, maybe a Vintage Modern Marshall as well
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
rivera would probably work. good call. Mesa lonestars (and specials) too. up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I second the Mesa Express, played through one of those the other day and it was amazing, great cleans and the OD was brilliant. Wouldn't do metal, which doesn't matter, rock would be alright.
Budda SD 18II Great cleans and a Great drive channel the effects loop is Great. It take's pedals great..........Great Amp.
Last edited by mmjohn at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by JayLacelle
you clearly haven't tried any good pedals then. most people can't even tell the difference between a marshall plexi and a tone bone british distortion pedal.
I'm thinking this is bullshit.

TS, I suggest a Traynor of some sort.
yeah... i mean, i'm not the biggest pedalhead in the world, and there might be some pretty nice pedals out there which I haven't tried which'll make a good stab of sounding like an amp, but even the very best pedals I've tried only sound close to as good as an amp. Depends on the tone you're after too- lower gain overdrives and boosts can be very good indeed, but anything even moderately high gain, and odds are the amp will do it better (assuming the amp is aimed at those tones, of course).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they're nice, but yeah if you have $1500 you could probably do better. Would definitely be worth a try in case they're "good enough", though. sometimes (not always, of course) with dearer stuff you're just paying for the name.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Good point.

Quote by unk0wn
Traynors look very cheap?

Do you mean the price looks attractive or they physically look very cheap.

I ask because I can assure you they are well made and are a lot of bang for your buck. Lonestars are nice too as are the Rivera's. I've played all three of these, as well as the Express, and it will simply come down to personal preference.

But yes, $1,500 is a healthy budget and there are lots of amps to consider. If you opted to look at used amps too, then the list gets even bigger.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 19, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
I'm thinking this is bullshit.

TS, I suggest a Traynor of some sort.

i read an article about the tone bone and apparently they did a blind test to some people comparing it to a marshall and rarely people could tell which was which. Then again the tone bone is like a $250 pedal...but still. pedals can get much better sounds than most people think.
If that were true, then why would vintage Plexi's go for so much when you could just have it for $250?
Quote by The_Bosstone
If that were true, then why would vintage Plexi's go for so much when you could just have it for $250?

the same reason so many people buy crappy marshall mgs. a lot of people buy marshall amps for the name when really there are much cheaper (and sometimes better) solutions.