I just bought a new Yamaha FG700S and I don't like the strings very much. I have only been playing for a few months. I have read through the forums and I am still confused on strings.

I need some suggestions on the best strings for this guitar. The ones that come on the guitar are a little heavy and I think I want to go slightly lighter? Also, the strings on the guitar are supposed to be coated and my fingers turn black, and the pick turns black, is this normal? But again, I only have a few months of experience. Some help please. Thank you.
wash your hands before you play and wipe the strings down after
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Go to a shop and ask the guys. They will get you to play different instruments with different strings.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Old strings collect dust and oil from the skin on your fingers, thus turning your fingers black. It's simply a sign you may need new strings. If you're looking for lighter gauge strings, try Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings. They're not too expensive, and sound great.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Acoustic guitars generally have heavier strings than electrics, but that doesn't mean you have to stick with them. Try one gauge lighter to see if you like the feel. When it comes down to brand, that's entirely up to you though. Maybe after playing guitar a bit more you might go back to heavier strings. Your fingers turning black are most likely from dirt on the strings. Remember to wipe your guitar strings down with a cloth after playing it to remove dirt and oil! This improves tone, and also increases the lifetime of your strings
Your fingers migh be turning black because some times the guitar companies use a dye to make the fet board look darker. It's more common with electrics than acoustics but it not unheard of. If that's it will probly stop after a couple of months.
Hope I helped
Last edited by redneckrebel at Nov 11, 2009,