Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking about applying there...should I? I've heard good and bad things from various people but it seems like such an awesome job. I'm 18.
Quote by Jobe_13
They won't give you the job unless you're a moron.

Fixed.
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

You have to be either blind, deaf, stupid, or know nothing about music.

Do you qualify?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by kstar22bassist
Fixed.

Damn, I always try to have good grammar but I failed.
Quote by Jobe_13
Damn, I always try to be half-way intelligent but I failed.

fixed

loljk
You'll get jaded fast, kid. Everyone at my local GC is a complete DICK. My advice: Don't shit where you eat.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I almost got a job at GC a while back, and from my time spent with various sales peeps, yes, you're going to have to be a dick and foist shitty gear upon unknowing beginners. But you know what you get out of it?

Sick employee discounts.
If you work there, youll probably never want to go there again. And youll also probably get sick of hearing nonstop shitty riffs.
Quote by turd_ferguson
[0:17] If my parents knew I was part of a group who celebrated christmas by drinking cough syrup they would probably cry

WEATHERER, the greatest band ever.
Quote by Flying Couch
I almost got a job at GC a while back, and from my time spent with various sales peeps, yes, you're going to have to be a dick and foist shitty gear upon unknowing beginners. But you know what you get out of it?

Sick employee discounts.

big discounts?
the guys at my local guitar center are realy cool,but they dont help alot,they just kinda sit around stoned
I hate that place!
  • Ibanez Soundgear
  • Cort SJB-3 Acoustic
  • Epiphone Goth X-Treme
  • DigiTech BP50
  • Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus LTD
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • Cort Evl-K6
  • DigiTech RP80

Cort Guitar Owner's Club 2nd member.
Am I the only one that seems to feel that most of the guys that work at my local one are really cool, as well as fairly helpful?
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by ipunchcouches
big discounts?

I'm not sure, really. Having discussed it with friends that have worked at music stores, working at a music store always nets you an awesome price compared to the average buyer, but I think it varies store-by-store and possibly gear-by-gear for GC.
theirs a couple guys at my local GC that are cool and helpful when i need it, theirs also a couple dicks that either annoy me or have nothing helpful to say; but IMO i wouldn't apply or anything, i used to love golfing and i got a job at a golf course now i rarely ever play cuz it just felt tedious and annoying that i was back at work
It's a pretty fun job for a while. Make good use of your employee discount while you work there, that's my advice.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Go for it man, reckon it would be awesome. I'd love to work in a music store. Hell if I was the guy who had to tune the guitars all day I'd be in, but I would most want to be the one who does setups and repairs.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by monkeysintheday
Am I the only one that seems to feel that most of the guys that work at my local one are really cool, as well as fairly helpful?

I've never had an issue with any of them.
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
Quote by sketchy z
I've never had an issue with any of them.

sketchy z,your giant yellow signature is REALY PISSING ME OFF
i've worked in a couple music stores. the mom and pop ones are the better ones to go to, even if the gear isn't as nice.

I worked at long and mcquade (which for the most part, seems like the canadian version of GC) and while it wasn't by any means a bad or hard job. it wasn't exactly a great job either. it can be incredibly boring, pay is low, and you're usually surrounded by kids who think they know everything, or old people who think they know everything.

Its good to have product knowledge, but in a place like GC, Its more important to be a salesman. you're not allowed to display any amount of gear snobbery. if someone wants to buy a spider, you just shut up and sell them the spider. Its a different story if they ask for your opinion, but otherwise you're just doing what protocol states. and despite it being a high pressure sales job, there isn't likely to be commission (or at least there wasn't at L&M)

despite my experience however, there's a good lot of people who have and continue to have a good working experience in these places, and you shouldn't let my story turn you off from working at GC. just don't go in there with any preconceived notions of what you think working at GC will be like.. its likely to be completely different!

Good luck!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Considering everyone I've talked to at a guitar center has been an idiot, so I'm going to say avoid it.

-Either you will be stuck working with all idiots, or the corperate system will chew you up and spit you out as an idiot.

-You think that you will be selling and talking about guitars all day. You will probably be doing invetory and taking out the garbage most of the time when you are on the sales floor you will be assigned to keyboards and drum machines.

-You will hear 12 year-olds attempt to play Master of Puppets and Crazy Train at least 35-50 times per day.

-Commision is not as great as you think - it's cuttroat and some people are kinda dicks about it. Not to mention you just missed out on the busy season. So the big pay day is only about a year away at this point.
Quote by kannon
sketchy z,your giant yellow signature is REALY PISSING ME OFF

are you saying you don't want to have a naked sushi fight with me
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
I am considering working there. The people at my local store are actually really chill, and it seems like an easy way to find a band.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Theres only 11 words I wanna hear from your mouth pretty boy.

"Have you checked out those Spiders over there? They're pretty good."

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I think all the crap would be worth it if just for the employee discounts. Do it!
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Are you willing to sell an inventory of equipment that you know is crap and over priced?

Well that kinda applies to most retail jobs, but its something you would have to deal with. You HAVE to sell whats in stock regardless of its price or quality.
epic7734
Quote by Spoony_Bard
It's a pretty fun job for a while. Make good use of your employee discount while you work there, that's my advice.

What exactly is the employee discount anyway?
Quote by Faded Grey
What exactly is the employee discount anyway?

base cost + freight.
i work there and it sucks. once you hit regional you turn into a total turd.
hell yeah ill work there
ill help my fellow metalheads out
and i wont care for the rest.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
hell yeah ill work there
ill help my fellow metalheads out
and i wont care for the rest.

This is why I don't trust Guitar Center employees.
Quote by neidnarb11890

surely they don't all have attitudes like that?
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by neidnarb11890

Well I've considered working there, but after reading what everyone else said, I'd rather not now
Page 1 of 2