-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
They both emluate the sound of actives.

However the D-Activator X uses the magnet that is used in the X2N, as well as a blade style pole piece. As a result the sound is a lot harsher and has much more high gain compared to the D-Activator.

The pickups are voiced somewhat differently too. The D-Activator is brighter with a very mild scoop, whereas the D-Activator X is a dark pickup.

EDIT: Thanks 311. My bad
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

However the D-Activator uses the magnet that is used in the X2N, as well as a blade style pole piece. As a result the sound is a lot harsher and has much more high gain compared to the D-Activator.

The pickups are voiced somewhat differently too. The D-Activator is brighter with a very mild scoop, whereas the D-Activator is a dark pickup.

How does the D-Activator X match up with the X2N? I like high gain but does it completely drown out the sound of the guitar wood and other factors like I hear the X2n does?

What's your personal take on it as a pickup as a whole.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by ragingkitty

However the D-Activator uses the magnet that is used in the X2N, as well as a blade style pole piece. As a result the sound is a lot harsher and has much more high gain compared to the D-Activator.

The pickups are voiced somewhat differently too. The D-Activator is brighter with a very mild scoop, whereas the D-Activator is a dark pickup.

Only for clarification, as I am confused by what you are comparing Kitty.

Edit: K....just checking
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Only for clarification, as I am confused by what you are comparing Kitty.

Updated
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Updated

I figured as much from your post lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
How does the D-Activator X match up with the X2N? I like high gain but does it completely drown out the sound of the guitar wood and other factors like I hear the X2n does?

What's your personal take on it as a pickup as a whole.

To answer your question (I was having my lunch just now)...

The DAX is similar to the X2N in that it does drown out the sound of the tonewood.

As a comparison, if we were to say that the X2N drowns out 85% of your tonewood... I'd venture a guess to say that the DAX drowns out 65% - 70% of your tonewood.

I suspect that the culprit is not so much the over-powered magnet, though it does contribute to it as well, but the winding of the pickup.

My personal take is that its a very specialized pickup like the X2N. Limited application, but pretty awesome for the brootalz. Cleans on the DAX aren't great, but better than X2N. A very chugga chugga pickup.

The tone from the woods do shine through somewhat, but its not very prominent.

Really only works well on a tube amp. On a SS or modelling amp... its not really great.

Its not as overpowering as the X2N though.

Does that help you?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
To answer your question (I was having my lunch just now)...

The DAX is similar to the X2N in that it does drown out the sound of the tonewood.

As a comparison, if we were to say that the X2N drowns out 85% of your tonewood... I'd venture a guess to say that the DAX drowns out 65% - 70% of your tonewood.

I suspect that the culprit is not so much the over-powered magnet, though it does contribute to it as well, but the winding of the pickup.

My personal take is that its a very specialized pickup like the X2N. Limited application, but pretty awesome for the brootalz. Cleans on the DAX aren't great, but better than X2N. A very chugga chugga pickup.

The tone from the woods do shine through somewhat, but its not very prominent.

Really only works well on a tube amp. On a SS or modelling amp... its not really great.

Its not as overpowering as the X2N though.

Does that help you?

Yup but now I'm thinking I may want to reconsider what bridge pup I'm looking into lol.

Also it may be lunchtime where you're at but it's almost 1 in the morning here lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
well the dax is supposed to be COMPLETELY different from the x2n according to dimarzio.
that being said, i love d activators
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
well the dax is supposed to be COMPLETELY different from the x2n according to dimarzio.
that being said, i love d activators

Different in terms of voicing... definintely.

However, it still drowns out the tone from a guitar's tonewood to a large extent.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

However the D-Activator X uses the magnet that is used in the X2N, as well as a blade style pole piece. As a result the sound is a lot harsher and has much more high gain compared to the D-Activator.

The pickups are voiced somewhat differently too. The D-Activator is brighter with a very mild scoop, whereas the D-Activator X is a dark pickup.

EDIT: Thanks 311. My bad

Wrong, actually. The D Activator X has much less high end than the D Activator, which is more trebley in my friend's fixed bridge basswood guitar than my DAX is in my trem equipped maple neck-thru guitar. But you're right about the DAX being darker and the D Activator seeming scoopier (but that's simply from the extra high end, the lows and mids are fairly balanced in reality)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i dont find the dactivator to be scooped or harsh
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Shinozoku
Wrong, actually. The D Activator X has much less high end than the D Activator, which is more trebley in my friend's fixed bridge basswood guitar than my DAX is in my trem equipped maple neck-thru guitar. But you're right about the DAX being darker and the D Activator seeming scoopier (but that's simply from the extra high end, the lows and mids are fairly balanced in reality)

High end

I said high gain.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Holy-Diver
i dont find the dactivator to be scooped or harsh

It's certainly very clear, and VERY unforgiving to bad technique, at least.
Quote by ragingkitty
High end

I said high gain.

Ah, misread. My bad.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores