Okay so I'm in a bit of a pickle, when I play power chords my wrist wants to bend a lot. Before I go any further I did use the search bar, I did read a few threads, I raised my guitar (even nearly as short as the strap goes) and that made it a little better but it made everything else less comfortable so I just put it back, I tilted the neck up but that didn't do much. I tried going a bit slower but each change I would slowly go back to normal, I'm fine with other chords though (bar barre chords).

Is this going to be something I've just gotta start going incredibly slow (almost stop) and just do some exercises perfectly and gradually build up speed? Any tips would be appreciated because I'm pretty discouraged and stuck with this. Thank you.
Certain chord shapes pretty much require bending your wrist a certain way. And if you're using fret-hand muting, keeping a straight wrist will cause a killer strain on the forearm.

Try playing very slowly, and watch yourself in a mirror. Concentrate on only your left wrist, and don't mind any flubbed notes. If after a few minutes you can keep your wrist straight, then keep at it for a while until it becomes second nature. If you find certain positions or muting patterns simply cannot be played with a straight wrist, then don't sweat it. The higher up you go on the fretboard, the more likely you are to bend. While a straight wrist is technically better, the body doesn't always work that way.
Quote by jean_genie
Certain chord shapes pretty much require bending your wrist a certain way. And if you're using fret-hand muting, keeping a straight wrist will cause a killer strain on the forearm.

Try playing very slowly, and watch yourself in a mirror. Concentrate on only your left wrist, and don't mind any flubbed notes. If after a few minutes you can keep your wrist straight, then keep at it for a while until it becomes second nature. If you find certain positions or muting patterns simply cannot be played with a straight wrist, then don't sweat it. The higher up you go on the fretboard, the more likely you are to bend. While a straight wrist is technically better, the body doesn't always work that way.

this.

also, the proper way to have your guitar is not only higher up (as opposed to hanging to your crotch), but also the nut should be level with your shoulder. see if that helps.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I kinda have the same thing, so you are not alone!
I think my issue has more to do the my hands than wrist. I have a normal sized palm with short stubby fingers, so I have to bend my wrist a bit more to get full chords somtimes. To get past it I just focus a bit more on fingering, making sure to get the strings on the frets without cocking my wrist all retarded. You know what to do, just start slow, focus, practice and youll work past it. Theres otherways around it though if you dont feel like waiting (though its not the best advise), for example, while doing a power chord, omit your ring finger and just use your pinky to complete the chord. It sounds like a bad habit and kind of goofy, but I gets your pinky used to working the strings and it might take some tension off your wrist.
As long as your wrist is fairly relaxed, doesnt inhibit your playing, and it's not on the extreme of say, a right angle, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Still, go and watch Freepowers videos on posture etc and see if you can gain any information from that.
Also, the guitar you use certainly lends to the problem as well. I definitely cannot do 3nps scale shapes with my wrist TOTALLY relaxed on my les paul.
Sometimes when I play for a few hours my wrist hurts from it. Not a lot but I'm guessing are it's still probably a bad thing? I checked out freepower's video to. Could it have anything to do with the size of my hands? Even single string stuff it happens a bit, I feel like I'm strugling to reach the low E string especially.

[EDIT]How effective would it be to move my arm in a position that's a little uncomfortable now (but I assume I'll get used to it) so that my wrist will be a bit more straight? My left arm wouldn't be as close to my body and it doesn't feel like it's "just hanging there" as much when I move it to try and make my write straighter.

Also my pinky appears to bend in towards my other fingers, like alot! Any tips? I should be hitting right before the fret but I'm hitting around the middle (when it comes to frets 1-4ish).

[EDIT] Yeah I really do need some help with this, I cannot (like really cannot) keep my wrist straight. I can have it fair straight but I can't even pull off 3 note power chords like that, my ring finger just mutes the highest string. And it sounds a lot more sloppy, if I bend my wrist (at least 45 degrees) like I have been playing I have no problem fretting the 3 strings. Also when trying to do this without bending my wrist my slides are disgusting, my ring finger doesn't stay straight (well my ring finger is never straight properly, no where near as bad as my pinky though). It ends up being diagonal..

I really need some tips or help, I'm just putting the guitar away for today. To frustrating, but I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
Last edited by TimeIsTheEnemy at Nov 13, 2009,
Don't worry so much about the supposed "perfect technique" ideal, worry about executing the sound you want cleanly and without tension.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Play the powerchord using your index and pinky. Is much easier that way when standing up.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS