How do Epiphone LP and SG necks compare? All I can tell from Epiphone's website is that the nut widths and scale lengths are the same (1.68" and 24.75").

(I'm particularly interested in the LP standard and custom, I have used an SG a few times before, I think it was a G-400, if that helps as a point of reference)

• Are Les Pauls neck heavy like SGs?
  • Do they have the same fretboard radius? (The prophecy LP custom is listed as 14")
  • Is the Les Paul neck shape variable over it's length?

Thanks
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
Why do you care about the measurements? It's just whether it's comfortable or not. I acknowledge that the measurements have to do with it but that's nothing to really fret over... (haha, see what I did thar?) Les Pauls are heavier than SGs in every aspect, hence the sustain they put out. I own a standard, and I can say it's extremely comfortable, at least for me anyways. It is a bit thick, though not the thickest. I generally prefer thinner necks but the Les Paul feels incredibly smooth and easy to play on.
Thanks for the reply,

Quote by CL/\SH
Why do you care about the measurements? It's just whether it's comfortable or not.

I'm not really concerned about measurements, I wont be able to try out a Les Paul for a long time so I'm trying to get an idea about the general feel. If the measurements (neck width, shape, length, radius, thickness etc.) were identical I'd assume they were just routed from the same CAD file and have a similar general 'feel'.
I'm only interested in the radius because I'm used to strat necks, I recently borrowed an SG from someone and found the neck to be very flat. I was just wondering if the Les Paul would be the same.
Can you tell the difference between a Les Paul and SG neck?
Les Pauls are heavier than SGs in every aspect, hence the sustain they put out. I own a standard, and I can say it's extremely comfortable, at least for me anyways. It is a bit thick, though not the thickest. I generally prefer thinner necks but the Les Paul feels incredibly smooth and easy to play on.

Do you find you have to keep holding the neck up? When you just let it sit there on it's strap does it tend to fall forwards like an SG?

Thanks for the feedback.
Quote by evilnatasking
No problem. I think I see what you're saying, you're not comfortable with having to constantly hold the neck up? You do have to hold it up, while that isn't a huge issue in my opinion, I guess if you're not use to it it can be bothersome. From my experience Les Paul necks are generally thicker than SGs, while similar in feel, the Les Paul definitely has more of a thick/heavy neck, but what I like about about it is the finish, my hands don't stick to it so while the neck is thick, it often feels firm and smooth to play with. Like I said, I actually prefer thinner necks, but my LP is an exception.
Thank you, that's very helpful.
Quote by evilnatasking