Alright UG,

i searched thoroughly for this to no avail.

I really wanna know how Josh Homme gets his high pitched squeaky tone. An example being "Scumbag Blues" by Them Crooked Vultures.

John Mayer uses a similar tone during a live performance of "Belief". (which can be seen here starting at 4:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goRnTAAebEE

I have tried adjusting treble a lot, and using a wah pedal in the toe position down as a low pass filter like Jimmy Page has done, but i cant get quite the same tone.

Hope you guys can help.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
lol, i know that, im working on getting a half stack pretty soon,
i just wanted to know how i would even get a tone close to that.

I have heard people say its the pick ups in his guitar, but i've seen other guitarists get that tone, so it cant be all that exclusive
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Quote by ChucklesMginty
There is no way you'll get close with a Spider III.
In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

The best you can do is add a tad bit of overdrive on some cleans, then a little reverb and treble. But like the guy above said, nothin you do with The Line 6 will help you fully emulate that tone. Love that Mayer song though, so simple that it's ingenius.
Quote by Enigma829
lol, i know that, im working on getting a half stack pretty soon

because all halfstacks are awesome... and capable of producing any tone you want.
Quote by CL/\SH
In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

The best you can do is add a tad bit of overdrive on some cleans, then a little reverb and treble. But like the guy above said, nothin you do with The Line 6 will help you fully emulate that tone. Love that Mayer song though, so simple that it's ingenius.

Gotcha, i just wanna make it clear to everyone that im not trying to achieve this tone with my current gear, im just curious what gear those guys use to get the tone.

And i completely agree with your statement about Mayer's tone.
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Yea, I'm sick of people saying that if it's a halfstack it's automatically a great amp. Wrong. Do some reasearch, some halfstacks are absolute garbage. Play every amp in you local guitar store that's in your price range, and buy the one you think gives you the tone you're looking for. And chances are even if you did get a halfstack, the volume would generally be set at 1.

Edit: well that makes sense, jus remember that when you get your new gear to search and research thoroughly. Don't buy a halfstack just cuz it's a halfstack. And always try before you buy. Make shopping for gear and guitars a fun experience, not a headache inducing one.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Nov 12, 2009,
^+124, Halfstack does not equal good.

What half stack are you looking at exactly?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
alright, lemme rephrase.

I am looking at getting a new amp soon. And no, i dont think that getting a half stack means that you'll automatically sound good...gimme more credit than that.

Its Most likely gonna be a 5 or 10 watt head and a1x12 cab.
i was looking at the Blackheart Little Giant, but i cant find one to test out.
i played around with the Night Train a bit as well, but that head is just so damn expensive.
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
almost all the notes he picks are pinch harmonics. together with that lo- and hi-cut sound give it that squeaky tone.
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
Quote by unk0wn
Prolly a Digitech whammy or something like it

i would say its an octavia

i have been looking into them lately and thats what the tone reminds me of
Quote by xl999
almost all the notes he picks are pinch harmonics. together with that lo- and hi-cut sound give it that squeaky tone.

So basically he's just doin pinches with some OD/fuzz and a huge mid boost? I'm curious like TS as well, i love that tone but can never seem to get it...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by xl999

No way these are harmonics. They are in fact regular notes raised by some kind of whammy pedal. Look at his left leg, when he hits them.
Quote by MikeHYA
i would say its an octavia

i have been looking into them lately and thats what the tone reminds me of

Yeah I'm pretty sure John's using an octavia there. Dunlop makes a Jimi Hendrix Signature one and Voodoo Labs has one as well. I'd look into those after you get your new amp of course.
Quote by r4ster
They are in fact regular notes raised by some kind of whammy pedal. Look at his left leg, when he hits them.

Half true. They are regular notes, but what he's doing with his leg is keeping beat.

I think he's just using feedback to his advantage.
i've been able to get a similar sound with pinch harmonics, but its just not practical. One of my buddies said that he may be using two amps on different channels. One with lots of scratchy fed back, the other normal. When combined they get this tone..... not sure how true that is.
My Gear
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
he left a wah pedal half cocked. loads of people have done that to get that kind of sound. there is the occasional harmonic i think but yeah mayer's posh amps will be giving it a lot of character that you will miss out on with anything but a good quality amp.

no reason why you cant get in the ball park with a spider. . .
Mayer uses the octavia. Look up his gear, and he most DEFINITELY uses it on his cover of Bold As Love. I'm 99% positive he uses it on the live version of Belief as well.

EDIT: However, he does also use the stationary Wah filter effect as well.

Long story short, he's a beast.

Check out my YouTube video of some of my John Mayer tones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd4KOVed2SY
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by DoomsdayArsenal at Jan 11, 2010,
I say go with a Jet City Rocket 20 or whatever it's called. It's a tiny, smple, practical, budget soldano.

I still haven't listened to the TCV album, but based on Josh's regular QotSA tone I think a compressor and or sustainer would help.
UG's Prodigal Son
sounds like any other blues tone to me not really hard to get it just roll off distortion or roll off your tone nob it cleans it up alot as well.
Recommended threads
Poll: spinal tap
sirrjj
Last post:
by FruscianteFan77