Ive been looking all over the place on the internet to find a lower priced, large tonal variety and overall practicing amp, my budget is like $300-400 so dont go telling me to get a damn tube amp :P the more sounds i can get out of it the better as long as they sound good.
Ok so ive read about line 6 spiders peavey vypers and now im looking at the Ibanez series which i am going to demo with the guitar i want later with all these amps (its the Epiphone Prophecy EX Les Paul with EMG active 81 and 85 Pickups)
but so far im leaning towards the ibanez MIMX30 30 watt heres a link to its desription:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-MIMX30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=500155

Anyways im looking to buy in the mindset that when i spend the money will last me a long time in the long term - i know im serious about playing and i want something that will go from beginner to intermediate so if you have any suggestions im open! my budget for guitar if you do have suggestions is $400-600 Non tremolo and preferably not bolt on either. i wanna play songs from bands like All that remains, as i lay dying, killswitch engage, red hot chilli peppers, sonic syndicate, pink floyd, muse, even some classic rock shit i dunno but definitely melodic/heavy stuff

Thanks!!
Last edited by Jumbug23 at Nov 12, 2009,
i hear a lot of people say that roland cubes are good but seriously? no tone variety? whats wrong with ibanez also jw
Quote by Jumbug23
i hear a lot of people say that roland cubes are good but seriously? no tone variety? whats wrong with ibanez also jw

try out the ibanez and the cube together. youll see exactly what he means
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Check out the Vox VTs like the 15 or the 30.

I'll keep my mouth shut on guitars since I can't understand why anyone would want to limit themselves by not having a trem. Also, bolt on necks done right can be superior to a set neck.

But the Ibanaz XPT700FX will meet your criteria for $700 + it has 24 frets, and it has a thru-neck, not set, not bolt-on. I wouldn't go for anything with 22 or less frets given the first couple of bands you mentioned.

You can modify this with push pull pots to coil shunt it for those single coil sounds, but the d-activators are still gonna be heavy as hell.

You can always pick up an upscale Squier model and invest in a pro setup & improved pups for whatever classic rock the Xiphos proves too brOOtalz to handle ;-) down the road. It'll do Muse just fine.

Most RHCP, Pink Floyd, & a lot of classic rock was played on Fender bolt-on neck guitars.
BTW, it'll be tough finding another neck-thru guitar for under $700 and you'll have to spend more than your whole guitar budget to get a practice amp significantly better than the Voxes. Personally, I wasn't impressed by the Roland Cubes, and I have a lot of Roland gear.

I don't own a Vox myself, I bought one of those Marshall MGs before I knew better, but I'm very tempted to get one.
Well for a practice amp the line 6 spider jam takes the cake. It's sound quality is nothing amazing, i mean its no freaking mesa boogie but theres nothing wrong with it. It has some wicked preset guitar tones, also it can record. It has an auxilairy port to plug your ipod into. also it can have a mic and bass going through it or another guitar. It is in my opinion the perfect practice amp. I HATE cheap end voxes especially the effects. Rolands arn't that amazing to me. Ibanez's are what all my stupid friends think are cool because of the 'distortion'. but in the end it depends on your taste
Stay away from-
Line 6 Spiders
Marshall MGs

Look into-
Peavey Vypers
Roland Cubes

Strongly consider-
Fender Superchamp XD (great high-gain models)
Line 6 Spider Valve MKI (if you're lucky, the combos are $350)

let's face it.
You have a guitar with EMGs
EMGs + no t00bs = usually bad
for your budget you can get a tube amp with modelling capabilities for cheap, which is why I mentioned the superchamp and spider valve.

Any questions just ask.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
No love for the Blackheart Little Giant?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^Can't do metal.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by jc349
Stay away from-
Line 6 Spiders
Marshall MGs

Look into-
Peavey Vypers
Roland Cubes

Strongly consider-
Fender Superchamp XD (great high-gain models)
Line 6 Spider Valve MKI (if you're lucky, the combos are $350)

let's face it.
You have a guitar with EMGs
EMGs + no t00bs = usually bad
for your budget you can get a tube amp with modelling capabilities for cheap, which is why I mentioned the superchamp and spider valve.

Any questions just ask.

Quality post here.
Like previously stated, you can get a tube amp for 300-400, you don't need like 50-100w

I would look into getting a vyper, great begginer amp

But the EMGs are designed to amplify the signal normal pickups pickup and making it more dynamic and overdriven.

If I were you I would stay away active pickups and solid state amps, they can cause unwanted bad clipping(good clipping is in tubes)

Any guitar with high output humbuckers(coil taps would be a plus) will suit the metal you've said.

Many people have 2 guitars, 1 for certain generes, 1 for another. (humbuckers, single coil) if your serious about guitar and want the prophecy look into a cheaper tube amp and like a zakk wylde mxr od(pushes hot tubes)

I'll get back after my first class
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
300-400 can get you a cheap tube amp.

do it.

superchamp xd seems like a good bet.
ht-5 combo maybe? used? i forget how much those are.

you could get a cube or something that would be decent and not terrible, but honestly you won't be happy with it in a couple years (or sooner).
My Gear:

Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry)
Traynor YCV40WR
Korg Pitchblack
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Fender MIM Strat (black)
Dunlop Crybaby
Ok well what about the line 6 podx3 its got a good cross between quality tones and variety, theres like 60 models tons of effects etc and its $400 my comp has good speakers and sound card and i dont think i will be in a band anyime soon
Get a Peavey ultra Plus used, or a VTM. Can easily be found in that range. Look in the HC forums, Craigslist, or Ebay.
Yeah, you should consider the Superchamp XD. Seeing as you want to get that EMG-equipped guitar, and the Superchamp is both cheap and valve-powered, it seems like a no brainer. It also helps that the Superchamp sounds pretty good for the money as well.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Not to hijack the thread, and no disrespect for Bogner, but isn't a Spidervalvle just Spider III modeling getting amped through Bogner tubes?

I mean ins't it going to sound similar to if I ran my Digitech MFX through a Bogner Uberschall on the clean channel?

BTW, if you get a cheap Vox, you do it for the tones, not for the effects. About the only built in effects I believe in on any amp are the true spring reverbs in Fender tube amps and OD/Distortion in tube heads > $2K.

I would rate the Vox, Vyper, and Cube effects as low as I do the [fewer] crappy effects on my Marshall MG.
Quote by jetwash69
Not to hijack the thread, and no disrespect for Bogner, but isn't a Spidervalvle just Spider III modeling getting amped through Bogner tubes?

I mean ins't it going to sound similar to if I ran my Digitech MFX through a Bogner Uberschall on the clean channel?

BTW, if you get a cheap Vox, you do it for the tones, not for the effects. About the only built in effects I believe in on any amp are the true spring reverbs in Fender tube amps and OD/Distortion in tube heads > $2K.

I would rate the Vox, Vyper, and Cube effects as low as I do the [fewer] crappy effects on my Marshall MG.

The firmware is indeed SpiderIII... but the modelling algorithms were amended I think.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
The firmware is indeed SpiderIII... but the modelling algorithms were amended I think.

I'll check it out at the music store this weekend; maybe I can try them side by side.

I'm pretty sure it's the same basic models (names), even if they work/sound different.

Interesting...thanks!
i'm suprised no mention of a flextone? will definately do the higher gain stuff
and if you go used you'll be able to put some more towards your guitar not sure about price conversion
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)