Hi

I currently own an ESP LTD Viper 200FM and I'm thinking of buying some EMG 81/85 pick ups for it, as it currently has ESP-EMG humbuckers.

I'm curious to whether its worth buying them for the guitar, and if it will increase the tone much?

My amp is a Randall RX75RG2. I don't use any pedals, although i may get a boss Ml-2
Active EMGs are well known for taking away from the individual tone of any given guitar. What kind of music do you play?
Quote by CL/\SH
Active EMGs are well known for taking away from the individual tone of any given guitar. What kind of music do you play?

I play metal ranging from the occasional Metallica, to mainly Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine and Trivium.
EMG's sound sterile and compressed.

Think of it this way, guitar is a midrange oriented instrument, therefore, all of your tone(mmm, tasty), will be centered around the mid frequencies. What EMG pickups do is remove the midrange altogether, which takes away most of the guitars character, and makes you sound like eveyr other person who uses them. There are a couple of positives though. The lack of midrange hides bad playing very well, and it'll get you that "Metal" tone very quickly. It's just up to you to decide if you wanna try and get your own tone, or sound like everyone else who uses those.

My advice? Get BK's or DiMarzio's. You'll be able to get a much warmer and usable tone, and your technique will probably be a lot better because they aren't as forgiving with the boosted midrange.

My 2 cents.
I'd have to suggest either Duncan Invaders or maybe Blackouts rather than EMGs. This is just my personal opinion, as Ive never liked the sound of em. I have head great things about the Invaders, but the Blackouts are also an option. If you want an even heavier and chunkier sound you may want to look into the Duncan Dimebucker, it can really dish out the thickness of any metal band. I also agree with the above, states the gist of EMGs nicely.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Nov 12, 2009,
Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts IMO, ive used them for months (swapping from a set of active EMG's that came stock in my Schecter Hellraiser i might add), and they sound amazing they have a very full warm tone, not as bright as the EMG's but that's good because your tone wont sound like tin, quite frankly. They are also much quieter than other actives i've used, and unfortunately, because nobody feels like experimenting, they dont get the credit they deserve. They are also $20 cheaper for the pair (180 + tax at guitar center). So it's a major list of positives...unfortunately the 18v mod is impossible with these pups as when i went to do it, i left the battery outside the compartment while testing, and it practically burned my lap.
YAMAHA DROP 6
DIEZEL STRAIGHT FRONT 4X12 CAB
DEDICATED MONSTER CABLE USER!!!

All equipment is for sale!!! email at jennings.michael.b@gmail.com
Oh alright, I don't know that much about pick ups I just assumed that EMG's would suit me well, due to what I play. BFMV Guitarists use them, etc.

Are the Blackouts and Duncans around the same price range?
Okay, Seymour Duncan makes all the pups I mentioned, Dimebucker, Blackouts, and Invaders, I should have been more clear. It's common for those unfamiliar with third party pups who play metal to assume EMGs will suit them, as many people get EMGs for their unique completely mid-scooped sound, which accomadates metal. I find however that they rob any given guitar of it's tone. As far as I know they are equally expensive, give or take 10 bucks.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Nov 12, 2009,
Alright I might need to watch some videos and see if i can tell which ones i like better.

I'm still leaning towards EMGs, purely because Atreyu, BFMV, KSE.. Metalcore that I play use them, and there is a cheaper second hand pair on ebay for 250 (AUD)
Quote by Cheso
Alright I might need to watch some videos and see if i can tell which ones i like better.

I'm still leaning towards EMGs, purely because Atreyu, BFMV, KSE.. Metalcore that I play use them, and there is a cheaper second hand pair on ebay for 250 (AUD)

And they also play amps that cost a shitload more then yours and sound a whole different yours (no offence). It won't get you any closer to their tone just by using their pickups and the EMG's can be had cheaper from America if you are inclined to save a bit of cash.
If you haven't heard of Sidewynder Pickups, it is time you did. I got a Bushmaster (8kohms) and a Lancehead (15kohms) and they are incredible! I put them into my Bailey B1 on the recommendation of a mate. you would not believe the difference they made. The sound is so tight, you would swear they were active!!!! The evenness of the tone is the best I have ever heard! I set my eq flat and I could hear every note as clear as a bell. I have never heard any pickup able to do that! Seriously, check them out.
I've got a Sidewynder Death Adder, and i would recomend it if you want a serious high output pickup (22K resistance).

It's not an EMG 81, but it's damn good and is very well balanced. Not muddy, very clear.

Also not a pickup for the faint of heart, if metal's all you play it's great, but if your looking for a warm clean sound, don't use the death adder.

I dunno where you live tho, if you live in the usa your gonna have trouble getting one (i had to buy on eform a shop in scotland and have'em send it to me.

Edit: you've got a SS amp, which won't take advantage of the active pup's output. I'd suggest a passive.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by Taint McGooch
Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts IMO, ive used them for months (swapping from a set of active EMG's that came stock in my Schecter Hellraiser i might add), and they sound amazing they have a very full warm tone, not as bright as the EMG's but that's good because your tone wont sound like tin, quite frankly. They are also much quieter than other actives i've used, and unfortunately, because nobody feels like experimenting, they dont get the credit they deserve. They are also $20 cheaper for the pair (180 + tax at guitar center). So it's a major list of positives...unfortunately the 18v mod is impossible with these pups as when i went to do it, i left the battery outside the compartment while testing, and it practically burned my lap.

just parrellel up another 9v, this will reduce the draw on the battery by half.....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's