Hey guys i have been planning my pedal board and i have decided what pedals to have on it. I would like you guys to comment on the pedals and see if they are the best for my kind of music. Im in my teens and i play Classic rock and the occasional Metal riff in some songs.

heres my dream rig (not in order)

PEDALS

Dunlop Crybaby Wah Original
MXR Phase 90 (EVH)
Marshall Shredmaster
MXR Wylde Overdrive (ZW-44)
Ibanez Flanger Fl-9
Boss Digital Delay DD-20 OR MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
Boss Reverb RV-2
MXR Stereo Chorus
Boss Equalizer
Boss Tuner
Digitech Whammy wh1

I also LOVE the Digitech Synth wah x-series Evolope filter but its a bit excesive

AMPS

Vox (Forgot number, bought it but to lazy to check)
Fender (Forgot number, tried in store was amazing)

I plan to use both and split the signal between the amps

Guitars

72 Fender Telecaster Custom black
Washburn X30 (is the nicest cheap guitar i have ever seen cost $250 US RRP $1000 US)

(trying to be different and not use a gibson)

Please tell me your thoughts and help me out
Nothing wrong with that set up as far as I know.
But like everything try before you buy if you can.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
How about a Tubescreamer instead of the Wylde? (don't know too much about the MXR, but am a huge fan of the TS-9)
i havenmt try all that your listing . but do you really have a preference for boss pedal ???

but i would replace:

the Boss tuner for a Korg pitchblack .

the Boss equalizer for a MXR 10 band EQ.

the shredmaster for another distortion like a MI audio crunch box .

i personally think the zakk wylde overdrive is too dark/scoop . but thats taste.

as for the amps ( vox and fender ) get the models cause their a big difference between a fender frontman and a hot rod deluxe

jsut a though .. its weird your "forgot" the most important piece of gear of your set up

- cause all those pedals wont help you if you get a solid state fender FM , frontman , or cyber ... or a vox modeler . inf act if you get a modeler .. youll probably have a decent version of all those pedal .. flanger , chorus , tremolo etc..

- the amp should be your main concern . good amp will worth more than 20 boss pedals .

and are you sure your gonna need all these effects ???? how often will you use flanger , chorus , tremolo etc.. . its probably gonna look cool in a pedalboard ....but thats money spend for nothing .

good guitar .. good amp ( or good modeler if you wanty versatility ) , overdrive pedal , fuzz , the eqaulizer is a good idea ... get the MXR though etc .. depending on your taste and your set up and what you want to play .

i would forget about the all the flanger , delai etc.. pedals ... thats a couple hundreds you should spend on the amp .

just an opinion here .

sound to me like you want a pedalboard cause it look cool .

for classic rock and metal ... no flanger , tremolo and pedal like that need .

maybe a good modeler would give you all need for 1/4 of the price of your pedalboard . a a Peavey Vypyr tube and your set .

you dont want to end up like that

http://a56.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/106/l_411a475addedef0d3501f58c73e617ef.jpg

do you ???

im not a big fan of boss anyway .

-good guitar

- good tube amp or good modeler

- couple of pedals that youll really use
and your set .

look at your budget ... and spend 90 % on the guitar(s) and amp ... priority of that 90 % should be on the amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 12, 2009,
Like Skysc said, get pedals depending on which ones you will use enough for them to be worth it. I would also go for a Pitchblack and a MXR EQ instead of BOSS. I personally think that the ZW overdrive is great.

You just need to tell us what amp models.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I do believe it is the frontman, Is that good? it sounded fine. I'm not sold on it but im anti stacks atm because new marshalls SUCK

Ah well boss pedals seem sturdy and have done the job thus far.
I have heard about the TS-9 but i heard its a bit metal compared to other Overdrives.
The shredmaster is fine at the moment but if you guys think there is anything better please tell.

The Tremelo is just one thing i like the sound of at home and a couple of my bands songs involve heavy use of it. I use my chorus alot and my flanger ehhh good point. its a nice pedal but i dont need it for my board.

I need a board because these pedals are so messy and wirey. and takes forever to set up.

I did want the MXR EQ but i dont understand the difference between 7 and 10 bands.
Thanks guys so far for the advice good stuff. ( a tad of a noob when it comes to pedals)
Quote by kmister
The vox is an AC30

also whats the Korg Tuner thing?

the korg pitchblack is a chromatic tuner pedal .

its very accurate ( more than the boss as i heard ) and true bypass ( no signal ldegrade when not engage , and it doesnt alter the sound )

most people would recommend it over the boss tu-2 chromatic tuner .

im saving some money for a pitchblack .. the next thing in my pedalboard .. ive try it in a store and it was very good .

and for above : the frontman = dont touch ... thqats exactly what you dont want : you said the new mg halfstack from marshall suck .. well thats probably worse

they have nothing good except a good clean (solid state clean ( fender clean , you cant take that ... fender clean are nice . )

the vox ac30 is a very good amp .. but thats not the same price as a frontman either .... your comparing two different league of amplifier . a 1300 $ tube amp to a 200$ solid state amplifier .

but theyve both made history ... one is legendary for is great sound and the other cause nobody would expect an amp to sound so bad JK

and boss pedals are well built , very sturdy ( if fact theyre built like tank ) .. but unfortunatly ... they sound for the most sterile and lifeless.. thats why people modded them . some are good , some old chorus and delai could probably do the job .. but for overdrive , distortion , fuzz etc.. i think they sound lifeless for the most . and they arent true bypass so you might get signal degradation and tone sucking even when not engaged . they usually dont have the best component either ( ic cheap , capacitor , resistor .. )

its great to want a pedalboard .. but if you sacrifice by playing a cheap washburn guitar and a low quality amp .. then its worthless.

get great guitar into a great amp and useful pedal .

as i said i dont like boss ... everything ive played by them sound lifeless to me .. id suggest you to take a look into electro -harmonix stuff .. they made really good stuff .. i havent been deceived by them yet .

i dont own an vox ac30 so i wont bother writing review that i cant backup ... but i can recognize when i hear one ( not sure but almost ) its a great amp for sure .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 12, 2009,
kmr: I'm gonna use your quote to make my suggestions... all are imo unless i say something purely factual.

PEDALS

Dunlop Crybaby Wah Original ____ you could do better here, since we're talking "wish rig." why not a clyde? hit up nightraven for an extended list.
MXR Phase 90 (EVH) ____ p90 "script" (new models accept 9v wallwart... if that's a concern). i like t-rex's tremonti phase too, and keeley just released a new phaser, but i haven't heard it yet.
Marshall Shredmaster ____ wtf is this? some kinda distortion? marshall pedals in general are sub par, maybe look into a keeley modded mt2, blackstar ht-distx, etc.
MXR Wylde Overdrive (ZW-44) ____ od's are really dependant upon personal preference, but my favs are combining a nice germanium boost (retroman beano, keeley javaboost, etc) into either an ocd or ts9-clone (or 808, whatev).
Ibanez Flanger Fl-9 ____ not bad, but have you loked into Paul Gilbert's signature "airplane" flange? also, ibanez pedals are typically bastard children compared to maxon's... especially the VJR9 if you feel like gettin' fancy!
Boss Digital Delay DD-20 OR MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay ____ no no no... if you really wantthe cold stale digital sound, the dd7 is fine, just let Analogman clean it up for you first. as for analog delay, mxr cc is mud. pure. mud. ymmv, but for my money, i'd go with a maxon ad999 (or just ad9, or for that matter the ad999pro) or an ehx delux memory man. others are good too. pigtronix's "echolution" is really crazy if you're into strange sounds.
Boss Reverb RV-2 ____ there might not be a worse reverb pedal. what are you going for here? do you want to add some warm, natural space? malekko spring chic, t-rex roommate... t-rex's tonebug gets a lot of love too. for insanely unrealistic reverbs, there's a big following here for the line6 verbzilla, but it will rob some of your extended highs and lows... not a big fan personally. i'll let others chime in with the usual gauntlet of reverbs suggested here.
MXR Stereo Chorus ____ this is a great choice, but i get the sense that you're not really sure what's out there, so here's a few others: ehx small stone, small clone, clone theory (a personal fav) and poly chorus (depending on your flavor), dunlop uni-vibe, visual sound liquid chorus (another personal fav for cleans), modtone aqua chorus, and saving the best for last red witch's empress.
Boss Equalizer ____ go rackmounted and get a 31-band eq. the 7 or 8 or 10 freqs you'll get from a pedal are not enough to do neccessary in depth sculpting and wide Q boosts. besides, rackshelfs are a great place to tuck all your pedals you want to use in your amp's loop... more on racks in a bit.
Boss Tuner ____ good call here... more durrable and less gimicky than say a strob-o-tuner or whatever. a suggestion, loop it (in "mute" mode) inside a keeley japanese appartment = true bypass and silent tuning.
Digitech Whammy wh1 ____ if you must...
Digitech Synth wah x-series Evolope filter ____ don't do this to your tone, please? look into Moog's product line for some truely impressive and unique "weird" sounds.

AMPS

Vox (Forgot number, bought it but to lazy to check)
Fender (Forgot number, tried in store was amazing) ____ you need to know what amps you play dude.

I plan to use both and split the signal between the amps ____ radial switchbone a/b/y

Guitars

72 Fender Telecaster Custom black
Washburn X30 (is the nicest cheap guitar i have ever seen cost $250 US RRP $1000 US)

(trying to be different and not use a gibson) ____ nothin's wrong with Gibson... whatev, do ur thing.

RACKS: i said i'd get back around to this. an important point to make for everyone, but especially newbies: DON'T LET RACKS SCARE YOU! a lot of people believe they're too complicated or expensive to be of any good to them, and quite frankly they get intimidated by a bunch of hunks of metal that they know nothing about. do your research and you'll find that not only are they often miracles for simplifying rigs, but they can also be LESS expensive than sticking to just pedals. TS, let's take your situation for example: if you were to buy each of those pedals individually (the ones you originally listed), you're looking at around $1k-1200! for about a quarter of that, you could buy a nice rack multi and a MIDI footswitch. there's your phaser, flanger, delay, reverb, chorus, EQ, tuner, and "synths," AND they can all be preset based on which channel you have engaged!

...food for thought.

whew... got through all that just to find that I need to play catch-up on the thread.

agreed, you do not need all of the pedals you listed, no matter who you are or what you play, period.
also worries me a little that you didn't list things like a compressor or noise gate... run this many fx and you're gonna have noise.

that pic from the link = biggest collection of mostly worthless crap ever. i feel sorry for that poor bastard.

ac30 = one of the greatest amps ever made. what model is yours?
frontman = crap. run.

not really one to talk, but why do you need 2 amps? i ask because you're clearly looking at two amps that focus on cleans (even if one fails at everything).

you could not be more wrong about marshall. yes, they make some crap. it's well documented and we all know what they are, and i'll even give you that certain new models, while sounding ok, are over-priced. let's not forget that the jcm800 is still a current production amp. the haze is getting good reviews... you get my point. they dropped the ball, but it looks like they're picking it back up.

yes, boss sounds lifeless. more importantly they suck tone like a cheerleader sucks ****.

I think that about sums it up, yeah?
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Original - Can't see too much wrong, would probably get it modded for less tone suck, or go for a Clyde, or a nice Colorsound.

MXR Phase 90 (EVH) - Get a standard or a BYOC kit.

Marshall Shredmaster - this one? http://www.greenplastic.com/coldstorage/gear/shrdmstr.jpg If so oh god yes. Fantastic pedal, Shame prices have kicked up but imo one of the ultimate metal pedals ever made.

MXR Wylde Overdrive (ZW-44) - Crowther audio hot cake, TS9, or OCD for really nice overdrives, but nowt wrong witht his at all, just others to consider.

Ibanez Flanger Fl-9 - Yup

Boss Digital Delay DD-20 OR MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - You should really get both, but instead of a carbon copy go for a memory boy/toy/man.

Boss Reverb RV-2 - Malekko Spring Chicken, or the Hardwire Reverb are both fantastic.

MXR Stereo Chorus - Nowt wrong with this at all, could look into a small clone ( I have no idea why a small stone has come up as an ideal replacement for this, its a phaser...), Again the BYOC Analg chorus is fantastic.

Boss Equalizer - Rackmount for E.Q If you want it to really make a significant difference, but if you insist on it being on the floor, MXR 10 band

Boss Tuner - Doesnt die, Not to accurate, look into there stage tuner, its huge but really really good and sturdy.

Digitech Whammy wh1 - Right choice here, It does have the best sound of all the whammys, but only if its in an obtainable price, its not worth what some people are charging.

I would also throw in so fuzz (Big muff with creamy dreamer) and A Turbo Rat. maybe 2x od's.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
MXR Stereo Chorus - Nowt wrong with this at all, could look into a small clone ( I have no idea why a small stone has come up as an ideal replacement for this, its a phaser...), Again the BYOC Analg chorus is fantastic.

hehe... woops... i was on a roll.
Quote by GrisKy
hehe... woops... i was on a roll.

its fine. Just clearing it up for TS.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by kmister
I do believe it is the frontman, Is that good? it sounded fine. I'm not sold on it but im anti stacks atm because new marshalls SUCK.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Stupid thread is stupid - you paid the least attention to the most important part of the rig, the amp.

Forget pedals until you've got the right amp, most of the one's you're wishing for are average at best, and next to worthless if you have the wrong amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Stupid thread is stupid - you paid the least attention to the most important part of the rig, the amp.

Forget pedals until you've got the right amp, most of the one's you're wishing for are average at best, and next to worthless if you have the wrong amp.

+1

The Frontman amps aren't great...if that is indeed the one you're looking at. The AC30 on the other hand is a great amp.
Dude, seriously, get rid of some of those pedals, and put a lot more money into the amp. You can't have £1000+ Worth of gear, with a £90 amp. The amp, is about 80% of your sound quality.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
lol...what a lot of batteries...imagine all these hooked up at once and turned on?
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 12, 2009,
Yeah fair enough. I started this forum for opinions not bashing about selection.

Yeah it is an original Shredmaster.
Yeah boss pedals are a bit lifeless come to think about it.
I need the Whammy for octave's, also if i want to do a dive bomb (no whammy bar =( )
In reflection to this i think i will take out the flange and reverb
I like my Wah plain. I dont need special effects on my wah and i hav'nt heard a better one.
I do plan to get it modded when i understand it a little better.

Well because the frontman is such an average amp what would do the job?

I have got a deposit on the AC30 hav'nt quite paid it off but over half way.
I have heard they arn't super reliable

The overdrive i am getting today and i'm still not sold on the ZW-44 because people are saying that the tube screamer is better? i'll have to compare i suppose.

cheers guys.

EDIT.

Theres a Small Stone phaser on Trademe for $100 kiwi. (basically $50 odd US)
Last edited by kmister at Nov 12, 2009,
Bump

Also i found a Ibanez Tube screamer 5, is that good or only Ts9 and Ts808?
Quote by kmister
Bump

Also i found a Ibanez Tube screamer 5, is that good or only Ts9 and Ts808?

I would go for the TS9, the general consensus is that their the best. If you can get the Keeley TS9 Mod Plus, i have it and it's quite excellent at just about everything, unless you want a transparent OD.

Don't be deceived by the other guys about the MXR though, its a great pedal though it's different to the TS9. While TS9's and TS9 clones have a large mid hump, the MXR has scooped mids and more stock gain. Both are good pedals it's just a matter of what your looking for.

Also, if you are looking at a dream rig, i strongly suggest taking a look at the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. It's quite frankly an amazing wah, much better than any Crybaby. Personally i can't stand mine.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Okay Like most of you have said get the amp first, i have. I have orderd in a Marshall JCM2000 Half stack. I found a TS-5 Sound tank in my dad's pedal box... didnt sound that great. I can't find a TS-9 at all in the shops so i think i will prefer the MXR. Also i have orderd in a Boss DD-20 & MXR EVH Phaser.

So my current rig:

72 Fender Telecaster Custom Black//Cry Baby//Digitech Whammy//EVH Phaser//Shredmaster//MXR Wylde//Ibanez Flanger//Boss Reverb (May Replace)//Boss Delay.

Now missing is A tuner and Chorus pedal. When the chorus comes i will remove the Flange.
Also i may not need reverb when my delay comes.

Thanks guys, i had some good advice.

I will look into the korg tuner