Hello T&C. I have been gone for quite some time and it broke my fragile little heart. Would you be kind enough to restore my happiness by offering your opinions and whatnot of my band's newest song? It's mostly progressive metal, but there's tons of other stuff in it. It's quite long (12 minutes) and you dont HAVE to listen to all of it, but it would be appreciated. I will give C4C of course, however, I will only return as much input as you give me.

Edit: 11/16 updated some of the drums.
Attachments:
Nights By the Didessa.zip
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 16, 2009,
I'm at school now, so can't listen to it now.
However, I will listen to it when I get home, I'm always interested in Prog stuff. =]
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
i started to crit this part by part but then i stopped

this is ****ING AWESOME!!! a masterpiece

keep this exactly how it is

whats ur band called???
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
Quote by Jimmy-G

whats ur band called???

My band is called Deflycsiun. http://myspace.com/deflycsiun. We really don't have much up right now, because we're still searching for a vocalist, but you're welcome to add us if you have a myspace.
well, i listened to ALL of it
tried to pick out flaws but couldnt really find any
however, the continuously changing heavy riffs are not my piece of cake
but the riffs are awesome anyway
clean part is my favourite, especially the solo
the lead part that comes in right after the clean is epic
if u had just marked the sections, i could have made a better crit
anyway, u can use the word epic without anyone having problems
It was great...

But. There were a few things I didn't like. Mainly the tempo changes... I'll go through and pick out a few things I think need improving.

tempo change at 158, 212, 231, 337, 373,

Perhaps you could make them more gradual? Or end one tempo on a held note, and continue the next bar, or maybe the one after on a new tempo, without the accelerando's and retardando's.

Also, bar 271 seemed completely without use. If anything, it took away from the piece.

But apart from those few things it was awesome. I hear a lot of Nevermore in this, and some parts are similar to my playing. I'd assume we have similar influences.

From one prog fan to another, would you care to listen to my little ditty? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225684
Intro:
Very interesting and it has an epic feel. In terms of sound quality, RSE drums would perhaps be more ideal, but it works just fine. The shredding section is quite unique, and it feels a little prog-ish, which I suppose is intended.
Bar 35 – 38
This was very smooth! A really fitting power chord, and a groovy bass line.
Bar 39 – 54
The lead guitar was a bit off. It definitely should be a lead guitar part there, but perhaps in sixteenth notes, perhaps even pure shredding. I understand it is prog, but I think it doesn’t really fit in as it is.
Bar 56 – 65
Simple and effective power chord in here! I like the variation between simple and complex moments you seem to show throughout the song.
Bar 66 – 89
This is some fine progressive metal! I just hope you’ll make it heavier with use of real instruments.
Bar 90 – 158
Strange, but some kind of Dream Theater-sounding. Although you aren’t quite there yet, it is still a good try! Try to make more use of odd time signatures instead of manipulating the 4/4 to sound rhythm-less.
Bar 158
The decrease in tempo is a bit too sudden. Try to take it over two bars, perhaps? The tempo increase later on fits a lot more.

That was all I had time to. Would you mind to crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229970
If you crit it well, I might just take the time to finish it when I get the time!
Originally Posted by huevos
You're from Norway, so I find that hard to believe. The lot of ya like to burn churches down and sacrifice virgins to Lord Faust and Isahan.
Quote by RDSElite
I'm at school now, so can't listen to it now.
However, I will listen to it when I get home, I'm always interested in Prog stuff. =]

Finally listened to it.
I really couldn't find any flaws.. There are several parts I think are absolutely beautiful; the clean solo, the riff that comes after that and the ending for example.
I really enjoyed listening to it, thought is was very good.

I have but one question:
Do you have vocal melodies and lyrics or is it going to be an instrumental song?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Finally listened to it.
I really couldn't find any flaws.. There are several parts I think are absolutely beautiful; the clean solo, the riff that comes after that and the ending for example.
I really enjoyed listening to it, thought is was very good.

I have but one question:
Do you have vocal melodies and lyrics or is it going to be an instrumental song?

We don't have lyrics or a vocal melody yet, but we plan on it.
I listened the whole song.. holy shit.. It was ****ing long and good 9/10, but here's my closer crit.
Exotic intro. Riffs are very good, but drums are so boring.. really annoying to listen 1/8 bass drum, no snare. Bass is pretty nice. I mean seriously. Really improve the drums, they suck whole song. Awesome solo and acustic part. Solo in acoustic part was awesome too. Piano part was nice. Third solo was good too!!.. Didn't like the riff 70-78, 90-120, 144(sounded a bit dissonant?),157, 213-217.

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22282828#post22282828
Quote by xbitmetal
but drums are so boring.. really annoying to listen 1/8 bass drum, no snare.

Not really sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.
ok sure, remember to crit my song .
Yes I meant intro. It sounded so dull...
39 onwards .. little bit creativity mate xD. Put some power to the drums!
70- no hi-hat? what? splash, raid anything.. as it is now, it sounds like veeeery boring.
Using Toms on riffs ain't too good idea. Only in fills or break-like parts. Unless it really fits there. Also, drums should be fast even when it's not required. It gives power to metal songs. Also stop using only bass and snare where ever you are, it sounds like very stupid if it continues.
Hope this helped.
Quote by xbitmetal
ok sure, remember to crit my song .
Yes I meant intro. It sounded so dull...
39 onwards .. little bit creativity mate xD. Put some power to the drums!
70- no hi-hat? what? splash, raid anything.. as it is now, it sounds like veeeery boring.
Using Toms on riffs ain't too good idea. Only in fills or break-like parts. Unless it really fits there. Also, drums should be fast even when it's not required. It gives power to metal songs. Also stop using only bass and snare where ever you are, it sounds like very stupid if it continues.
Hope this helped.

I forgot about 70 >.>

I just put that in real quick to hear the sweeping with some sort of drums behind it and never filled it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-G

whats ur band called???

My band is called Deflycsiun. http://myspace.com/deflycsiun. We really don't have much up right now, because we're still searching for a vocalist, but you're welcome to add us if you have a myspace.

I definatley will do
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
I will crit piece by piece if you want me too... But this song is amazing as I told you before. I have no complaints you're great composer just by this song I can tell that. I would love to hear this recorded I will give it another listen later in the day but 10/10. I love this kind of music long, complicated, heavy... Everything I like in a song is there. Great Job

If you wouldn't mind... It's no where near this and maybe not complete not sure...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1228298

EDIT: So I got around to my crit!

Intro- Love the tympani sets the mood. Then the bells awesome creating a mood. Great intro to a great song.

Riffage at 19-30- Do you like Symphony X sounds very Symphony X influenced. Great way to start after the intro aggressive fast, good!

31-34- Seems to be like a transition to the next section, and does this very well.

35-38- Bass solo fits where it goes great job

39-65- I like the melody played on guitar and the bass compliments it very well. Then when you start the power chords the other guitar compliments them well with lead.

66-77- The 16th note licks are awesome! Nice rhythm very good

78-89- Again sounds a lot like Romeo from Symphony X which is not a bad thing at all… Nice sweeps

90-97: The only thing I don’t like about this small section is 91-92 on guitar but it probably sounds a lot better on a real guitar than this RSE so I’m not knocking it. It just caught me off guard on the RSE!

98-111- I like melodies that build up to something and this seems to be what was happening in this section building up to the next part.

111-148- Just awesome riffs, loved them nice work using the chromatic runs also through out.

149-158- Nice small section

159- 169 I love when songs change tempo great use of tempo here. Awesome solo here if that’s what it is sounded like it to me. I really cant find anything wrong

170 -204 Again nice use of tempo. Amazing is all I can say and I love the bass leading from 201 to the next section.

205-231: Seems pretty heavy and again awesome bass playing. Consider yourself lucky to have one haha

232-308- Beautiful, great lead in there amazing amazing amazing!

309-337 Great use of bass to build the mood after the angelic part, and after the guitar enters great use building up to the octave part! The choir added to the mood, the octave part is just beautiful. And love the way you accelerated the tempo with the chromatic run

338-372- Nice opening to the next section with the bass playing. Sounds like you are revisiting 39-65. Great job

373-397- Great section really well composed!

398-402- In my opinion you could have ended it by gradually decreasing the tempo in 397 and ending with a chord. But the way you did it works just fine. I just think that would resolve to song better than fading out 16th notes not that it was bad I just prefer that.

All in all amazing song, great progressive metal, like I stated before can’t wait to actually hear this recorded I hope this is what you were looking for in a crit oh yeah 10/10!
Last edited by Myung'sMusicman at Nov 14, 2009,
Quote by Myung'sMusicman
398-402- In my opinion you could have ended it by gradually decreasing the tempo in 397 and ending with a chord. But the way you did it works just fine. I just think that would resolve to song better than fading out 16th notes not that it was bad I just prefer that.

It doesn't actually end in 16th notes IRL. I'm going to run the last chord through a snipper, which basically breaks up the sound into tiny little sections and spaces them out. The best way to mimic that sound on GP would just be to continue the notes. So that's why it ends like that. And thanks soooo much for the outstanding critique. I have band practice now, but I promise i'll give you a fully detailed crit when I get back.
It's a brilliantly written song. But from all the comments so far I guess that goes without saying.

The few flaws that are here all come during the transitions. Some of them just are too kind of random, especially with the tempo changes.

Also, this is just personal opinion, but it's just too much. You've got enough content in a single song for like 20 individual songs. It kind of saddens me to hear so much great music, that just kind of gets lost in a sea of constantly changing music. Nothing repeats and nothing is played long enough to make a lasting impression, so when the song is over the listener probably doesn't even remember any of what they just heard.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22281379#post22281379
I'm gonna bump this because it's been 2 weeks and I hate lazy ****s who don't return crits.