Page 1 of 2
Saw the film today; first day out. It was actually a lot better than I expected. Much better than all those other disaster films anyway.

The destruction in this film is absolutely relentless lol. There are some really cliched parts...but overall a highly enjoyable film. They evidently tried to incorporate more symbolism and semiotics than is usually common in such films I think.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

I can't help but think it's probably just a quick money grab by using other peoples fears and what not so it's really putting me off seeing it. I just get the idea of ACA/today tonight/60 minutes dramatized more and made into a movie or something haha. I'm probably horribly wrong but I'll find out when i see it eventually.

If you read that sorry for babbling about crap and wasting your time.
Quote by halvies
It's gotten good ratings

Shame it's based on a ridiculous concept

Have you ever seen a Hollywood movie?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by TimeIsTheEnemy
I can't help but think it's probably just a quick money grab by using other peoples fears and what not so it's really putting me off seeing it. I just get the idea of ACA/today tonight/60 minutes dramatized more and made into a movie or something haha. I'm probably horribly wrong but I'll find out when i see it eventually.

If you read that sorry for babbling about crap and wasting your time.

Nah bro I pretty much agree. That was my opinion going into the cinema anyway. I found it amusing how all the morning news shows also had stuff about it. Sunrise had that Carl Krusenicki dude on.

I was pleasantly surprised though...yeah it's Hollywood, and the nonsensical commercial apeal was there, but it was actually reasonably good.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

It has John Cusack. "Outbreak" and "Children of Men" John Cusack. It was destined for awesomeness.
Quote by 3lusiv3
"Children of Men" John Cusack.

What? No it doesn't.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I would watch it, but I only have 2 and a bit years to live so I thought I'd spend my time better.

I'm not sure why I'm on UG then

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
meh, the album is supposed to be better than the movie.

But I definately want to watch this, purely to see how violent and epic the destruction gets.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I would watch it, but I only have 2 and a bit years to live so I thought I'd spend my time better.

I'm not sure why I'm on UG then

UG seems a worthy way to end my final years.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by pbiggie

yeah, no shame in dieing the way you lived
Honestly, that's totally the kind of movie I won't hesitate to watch for the special effects only. I'd even say that I don't mind the story, as long as it isn't unbearably cliché. People that return from such productions complaining about stereotypes, overused symbols and poor storyline didn't sign up for the the right experience in the first place.

I generally enjoy movies that make you think, with clever twists and original scenarios. But "2012" from Roland Emmerich? You should know from the start that you're only going to see motherf*cking big waves ripping cities apart and killing millions of people while eating popcorn. And between two emotionally challenging and complex movies, it's pretty satisfying sometimes.
Quote by pbiggie

At least someone agrees

In fact, I'd love to see The Pit during the end of the world. Threads like "OMG an asteroid killed my neighbour" and "So my girlfriend got sucked into an endless crevice... help?" would pop up.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by halvies
I think you're thinking of Clive Owen

Quote by Gyroscope
What? No it doesn't.

Hah, how the f*ck did I mix them up.
Either way, he's good.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
At least someone agrees

In fact, I'd love to see The Pit during the end of the world. Threads like "OMG an asteroid killed my neighbour" and "So my girlfriend got sucked into an endless crevice... help?" would pop up.

"Like, I'm trying to masturbate and the ground started shaking WTF"
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Quote by Zero-Hartman
At least someone agrees

oh no, Zero-Hartman's ass ate his girlfriend!!!!

sorry man, had to be done
Quote by pbiggie
"Like, I'm trying to masturbate and the ground started shaking WTF"

Quote by CoreysMonster
oh no, Zero-Hartman's ass ate his girlfriend!!!!

sorry man, had to be done

Sounds kinky.

"Now crevice, that's a positively disgusting word!"

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
At least someone agrees

But first somewhere between 2010-2011 i think threads like "WTF?! 2 suns?!?!". (That's the first sign we'll see, if the 2012 stuff are true at all).
Last edited by GisleAune at Nov 12, 2009,
It looks pretty crap to be honest. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by TheReverend724

no it hasn't

a 32% on Rotten Tomatoes does not constitute "good ratings"

Nothing good actually gets good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes though
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada
Nothing good actually gets good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes though

I'll agree that critics these days aren't what they used to be, usually a 65%+ rating on RT is usually a good choice

and the 91% for Fantastic Mr Fox just makes me even more excited!
I NEVER look at reviews of movies before i see them. There have been some cases where i've seen a movie and thought 'wow, i really enjoyed that film.' then by chance gone online to find that rotten tomatoes has given it a 10%.

I understand they are generally accurate, but i'd rather not go in to a movie having any pre conceived notion on how good it is going to be. I'd rather decide for myself.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by BassFishin
I NEVER look at reviews of movies before i see them. There have been some cases where i've seen a movie and thought 'wow, i really enjoyed that film.' then by chance gone online to find that rotten tomatoes has given it a 10%.

I understand they are generally accurate, but i'd rather not go in to a movie having any pre conceived notion on how good it is going to be. I'd rather decide for myself.

I look at them when I'm unsure whether or not to see it, and whether it deserves 10 bucks or a wait to DVD
Looks like CGI relentless masturbation and it's going to solidify for all the fuktards in the world, their idea that we world will end in 2012. They'll probably think it's somehow based on reality.

I will not be seeing this film.

Or at least not paying to see it.
Quote by BassFishin

That's because you suck at movies.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by BassFishin

Kudos to you good Bass Fisher lad!
Quote by TheReverend724
The only CGI masturbation I'll be seeing this year is Avatar

me too!

My Mum wants to see it too apparently.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Quote by TheReverend724
The only CGI masturbation I'll be seeing this year is Avatar

Visually, that film looks like garbage. It's too cartoony and overdone. First impression is not a good one. I'd see it over 2012 though, given the choice.
Quote by halvies
It's gotten good ratings

Shame it's based on a ridiculous concept

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/2012

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/2012/

yeah real good ratings.

^^^^
Crap!
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

Last edited by RampagingAcorn at Nov 12, 2009,
^ beat you

Quote by Butt Rayge
Visually, that film looks like garbage. It's too cartoony and overdone. First impression is not a good one. I'd see it over 2012 though, given the choice.

Whether or not the film is cartoony, James Cameron pretty much invented a new version of CGI filming

Quote by Wikipedia
The director planned to create photo-realistic computer-generated characters by using motion capture animation technology, on which he had been doing work for the past 14 months. Unlike previous performance capture systems, where the digital environment is added after the actors' motions have been captured, Cameron's new virtual camera allows him to observe directly on a monitor how the actors' virtual counterparts interact with the movie's digital world in real time and adjust and direct the scenes just as if shooting live action; "It’s like a big, powerful game engine. If I want to fly through space, or change my perspective, I can. I can turn the whole scene into a living miniature and go through it on a 50 to 1 scale."

whether the movie is good or bad, this new technology is fantastic
Last edited by TheReverend724 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by TheReverend724
^ beat you

Whether or not the film is cartoony, James Cameron pretty much invented a new version of CGI filming

whether the movie is good or bad, this new technology is fantastic

This should go without saying... It doesn't matter how big your budget is or how fancy your technology is, you can still make a terrible movie. Eg, Transformers 2.

(Not that I'm saying Avatar is sure to be shit) I'm just saying The technology has less bearing on the outcome of the film than you'd think. It probably makes it easier for the director, but not necessarily the audience.
Quote by Butt Rayge
This should go without saying... It doesn't matter how big your budget is or how fancy your technology is, you can still make a terrible movie. Eg, Transformers 2.

(Not that I'm saying Avatar is sure to be shit) I'm just saying The technology has less bearing on the outcome of the film than you'd think. It probably makes it easier for the director, but not necessarily the audience.

I'm saying that new technology has been created

whether of not this film is boss (which it will be, I saw the preview) this technology has made an impact on CGI filmmaking

and we're talking about comparing Michael Bay to James Cameron, you just don't do that
Quote by TheReverend724
I'm saying that new technology has been created

whether of not this film is boss (which it will be, I saw the preview) this technology has made an impact on CGI filmmaking

and we're talking about comparing Michael Bay to James Cameron, you just don't do that

Terminator, Terminator 2, The Abyss vs. Transformers, Transformers 2, Bad Boys...

Yeah definitely no contest there.

The only half-decent thing Michael Bay has done is The Rock.
I think it's a chance for directors to capitalise off of the idiot publics' fear. Or at least that is ONE aspect of the production. Granted it acheived its' goal alright
Page 1 of 2