Poll: Anyone else suspect they have MES?
Poll Options
View poll results: Anyone else suspect they have MES?
Yes
65 50%
No
64 50%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 2
I'm a guitarist, a composer, a drummer (I wish... I don't have a kit yet, but I play whevever I get the chance) and an all round music enthusiast. I would imagine there are many of you with similar circumstances. ISome days I listen to music every hour of the day, and almost every night I listen to it until I fall asleep (and during my sleep.)

In the rare moments when I'm not listening to music, or playing it, I hear it. And no, i don't just have a song stuck in my head or something. It actually sounds like it's playing around me. Sometimes in the form of 'Welcome Home' by King Diamond, my ringtone, or the sustained scream at the start of Theocracy's 'Laying the Demon to Rest,' my message tone. When it's either of these two, I often here it faintly and off in the distance, or muffled by something. I run toward the sound, only to realise it's not coming from any particular direction. I eventually find my phone, and realise there is no missed calls or texts.

This, my friends is Musical Ear Syndrome. (Self Diagnosed )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_ear_syndrome

Anyone else experience anything like this? (Poll will be up)

EDIT:
And I suppose I probably should have mentioned it's not limited to ringtones, that was just an example. I'm sure many of you have gone running to your phone for no good reason.

Sometimes I hear songs I've only heard once or twice, or songs I haven't listened to in a long time, or maybe just one riff.

If it's something I've been listening to more recently It's probably just stuck in my head/I'm playing it through because I want to hear it.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Nov 12, 2009,
Yes. Today I was sitting at home alone in complete silence and distinctly heard Tony the Tiger go "Theyyyyy're great!" scared the shit outta me
Yes. All too common for myself, though no one believes me.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
We all have it. Its called either "loving music", or as my doctor called it,"being a musician"

I have pills for it now
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I went into a fish n' chip shop and I heard,
"how much is the fish? how much is the fish? how much is the chips? does the fish have chips!?"

Then I realised I was yelling this at the lady serving me.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Yea. Everytime I'm home alone and the AC comes on, I can hear people whispering and no, I do not believe it is paranormal.

Also, if I play a video game that plays the same music a lot (like the field theme in Zelda), I can hear it playing in my head, but that's probably just because I played it too much.

Deadit: I also hear my tone for when I receive a text (which is actually the Kool-Aid guy). It sounds very distant and I always feel stupid when I check and see I don't have a text.
Last edited by drdoom8793 at Nov 12, 2009,
I have the musical ear of Van Gogh.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I hear voices.
What you cannot escape, you must fight; what you cannot fight, you must endure.
I think some of you are missing the point. They are auditory hallucinations. They aren't just in your head (okay, there are,) but you can actually hear them around you. They seem very, very real. Not dreams, or daydreams, or a song playing in your head... It's like they're really there.

Quote by Zero-Hartman

How'd you get it?

Surely it would have decomposed by now.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
I hear music, either when my ipod is plugged in or not!
Something to do with batteries I think.
Quote by DempseyPunk
We all have it. Its called either "loving music", or as my doctor called it,"being a musician"

I have pills for it now

Sometimes it's called 'Get over yourself, mate'.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Yeah, I do this sometimes. It's probably not really MES, you just hear something that sounds similar and your brain associates it with your ringtone.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Yeah I have it. My mom thinks Im crazy because I keep telling her I here drums in the middle of the night and no one eslse has heard them.
For me, it's more something I can turn on when I like.
Whenever I want to start writing or working on something I can hear all the other instruments in my head and construct a song there.

The only problem I have is replicating it in audible form before I lose it.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
For me, it's more something I can turn on when I like.
Whenever I want to start writing or working on something I can hear all the other instruments in my head and construct a song there.

The only problem I have is replicating it in audible form before I lose it.

I get that too, but I don't think it's MES, that's just having a song idea.

And I suppose I probably should have mentioned it's not limited to ringtones, that was just an example. I'm sure many of you have gone running to your phone for no good reason.

Sometimes I hear songs I've only heard once or twice, or songs I haven't listened to in a long time, or maybe just one riff.

If it's something I've been listening to more recently It's probably just stuck in my head/I'm playing it through because I want to hear it.
I have it.

TBH, it saves me when my ipod runs out of juice
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I get it occasionally, I'm usually just stuck with the sweet sweet sounds of tinnitus.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I used to hear gameboy music, particularly pokemon. Twas awesome.
I have this, while it's not always music. I work in a grocery store, a small one, and when the front counter needs a stock person they ring a bell in the middle of the store (not like a fire bell just like a little one that would be at a counter for service). Normally at least once a day I go up like "Did you ring?" "Nope..." "Ohhh... kay...." then I walk away worried about my hearing
Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Ralph sits in front of a blank TV and recreates the Krusty show perfectly inside his head. This confirms the doubts I had about you Butt Rayge
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Great.

Another imaginery condition that you and everyone else who reads about it has.

What will you think up next?
I kinda wish I did, but then again I'm glad I don't have it. It would suck not only having a song in your head but actually hearing it playing, that's like 50 times worse

EDIT: Ok everyone, he's not talking about thinking you heard your ringtone or some other noise that is a common occurrence. That happens to everyone. Imagine that you have a song stuck in your head, but instead of being stuck in your head, you can actually hear it, as if it's being played nearby
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Last edited by namesroverrated at Nov 12, 2009,
sometimes, when I sit at home, I hear music- despite the fact that there is no music players on.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
If you're more interested in the subject I recommend reading Musicophelia. Some people do have real musical hallucinations and that book talks about all that stuff and how it relates to the brain.
try falling asleep and composing a song in your head at the same time, it gets to the point where you swear you can actually hear it, thats when you snap out of it and wake up

forced lucid dreaming? maybe we are all falling party asleep during the day, i'm sure most of us are sleep deprived
head and founder of the cave dweller association

i have 100§ to my name
TS is going insane.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by Randal37
I have this, while it's not always music. I work in a grocery store, a small one, and when the front counter needs a stock person they ring a bell in the middle of the store (not like a fire bell just like a little one that would be at a counter for service). Normally at least once a day I go up like "Did you ring?" "Nope..." "Ohhh... kay...." then I walk away worried about my hearing

Yeah, those are called 'Auditory Hallucinations' and are mostly associated with sleep deprivation.
Quote by yoyodunno
If you're more interested in the subject I recommend reading Musicophelia. Some people do have real musical hallucinations and that book talks about all that stuff and how it relates to the brain.

I will look into it.
Quote by Preid
Great.

Another imaginery condition that you and everyone else who reads about it has.

What will you think up next?

Imaginary, yes. In the same way that hallucinations are imaginary.

Now, I'm not a doctor (duh,) so I'm obviously not claiming to know that I have MES, or even properly understand what it it. All I'm saying is I experience similar things to what is mentioned in the wikipedia article, and thus suspect MES may be what it is.
I've had this for as long as I can remember.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
you have syphilis.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Wait no. I misunderstood.

I meant like I can hear music out of nowhere if i want to. And it's faint, but there. But I'm not hallucinating or anything.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I'm kinda like that but whenever I play Paranoid by Black Sabbath I hear the bassline every clear almost like someone is there playing with me. I remember the first time it started happening. I was freaked out but intrigue at the same time. I played that same song for hours.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I have auditory hallucinations, so yes. My hearing is fine though, it's just that I sometimes hear stuff like that, or when I'm trying to sleep, people calling my name. Also, I always have music playing in my head, sort of like I'm listening to it, only it's inside my head.
^I also have tinitus. Although, I think it's getting better now, which I didn't know could happen... But I haven't had any ringing or weird feeling in my ears for a good few months now.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I'm kinda like that but whenever I play Paranoid by Black Sabbath I hear the bassline every clear almost like someone is there playing with me. I remember the first time it started happening. I was freaked out but intrigue at the same time. I played that same song for hours.

That's interesting. It's probably different, but still interesting.
Quote by Butt Rayge
^I also have tinitus. Although, I think it's getting better now, which I didn't know could happen... But I haven't had any ringing or weird feeling in my ears for a good few months now.

Wish I could say the same, I think mine's gotten worse. I can hear the ringing over the sound of my TV, the computer humming, and my keyboard as I'm typing this.
Page 1 of 2