Hi, I'm a novice guitar player and I'd like to ask advice. I got a flexible 15,000PHP (approx. 320USD) budget (I can save up if there's a better gear for me).

As much as possible, no noise in guitars(is there any in branded electric guitars?) .

I'd like to play riffs, power chords and some solo's. Big fan of Alice in Chains & Jerry Cantrell. I'm also a fan of a variety of bands, +44, Quicksand, Nirvana, Silverchair, Bush, Our Lady Peace, Incubus, Metallica, Mudvayne, and a lot more.. and would like to learn to play their song if I can

Given the songs I like, what's the best gear for me? I have yet to do my homework about amps (I've just learned today about pick-ups, wood, and guitar brands, and I have 0(zero) knowledge about amps).

Is it easy to change pick-ups?

How about effects?

As long I get the best sound for playing all my preferred band (esp. Alice in chains), I'm ok. I think I'll be fine playing unplugged Alice in chains with acoustic effects in the future.

I can buy these in Singapore, it's 256USD (sg yamaha online store), 42USD cheaper for the cheapest Yamaha(PAC 012) here. Is there any risk that it would sound different for two (same model) electric guitar & amps?

Also what's the best way to check if an electric guitar is good if your in the music store and trying out one? What song's to play? What amp & it's settings?

thankksss!!!
Last edited by thirdy at Nov 12, 2009,
Dunno about the yamahas, but here are some general thoughts.

1. Buying in store ets you feel the instrument andmake sure it;s comfy, and the neck feels good fo youehand, very importantthis is the case.
2. settings is tough, bass 3-4 mids 4-5 treble 6-7 works well for me (blues and classic rock), but it depends on the amp and the guitar. Bass mids nd treble al on five is th "neutral" position, then you can adjust to taste.
3. if possible take a moe exerieneced player with you to help you choice, never rush, and don't let yourself be rushed by the sales persons.

Hope that helps, good luck and happy playing!
Quote by thirdy
Hi, I'm a novice guitar player and I'd like to ask advice. I got a flexible 15,000PHP (approx. 320USD) budget (I can save up if there's a better gear for me).

As much as possible, no noise in guitars(is there any in branded electric guitars?) .

I'd like to play riffs and solo's of Alice in Chains & Jerry Cantrell. I'm also a fan of a variety of bands, +44, Quicksand, Nirvana, Silverchair, Bush, Our Lady Peace, Incubus, Metallica, Mudvayne, and a lot more.. and would like to learn to play their song if I can

Given the songs I like, what's the best gear for me? I have yet to do my homework about amps (I've just learned today about pick-ups, wood, and guitar brands, and I have 0(zero) knowledge about amps).

Is it easy to change pick-ups?

How about effects?

As long I get the best sound for playing all my preferred band (esp. Alice in chains), I'm ok. I think I'll be fine playing unplugged Alice in chains with acoustic effects in the future.

I can buy these in Singapore, it's 256USD (sg yamaha online store), 42USD cheaper for the cheapest Yamaha(PAC 012) here. Is there any risk that it would sound different for two (same model) electric guitar & amps?

Also what's the best way to check if an electric guitar is good if your in the music store and trying out one? What song's to play? What amp & it's settings?

thankksss!!!

Are you in Singapore? Cuz that sounds rather pricy for a Yahama Pacifica
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Are you in Singapore? Cuz that sounds rather pricy for a Yahama Pacifica

http://www.yamaha.com.sg/Guitars_Electric_PAC012.html

Google says:
Retail w/ GST
353.90 Singapore dollars = 255.007953 U.S. dollars
YMC Price w/ GST
300.82 Singapore dollars = 216.760363 U.S. dollars

What's your thoughts about PAC012? Not that I want to buy it, just extra info.

My bro is in SG, plan is I'll try out guitars here then buy there
I think you should be able to get a LTD for less at Davis Guitars in Peninsular Plaza
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.