What is a good Marshall 4x12 cab for claasic rock and classic metal? I'm looking at a Marshall MR1960AV slant cab. What speakers are in it?

Marshall MR1960AV – 4 x 12 guitar cabinet with custom vintage Marshall/Celestion 70watt speakers. 280watts, 4/16ohm (mono), 2x 8ohm (stereo).

1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
You are in the right range of cabinets but try them out. It's not about better speakers in this case it's more like pick your flavor. Try them all and determine what's for u
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Where I happen to live there are not alot in showrooms or music stores to try, maybe just 1 cab and thats it. This isn't America or the UK
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Go on you tube and look for the video that test all the celestion through a rivera amp. They go through the 4 most popular speakers. Take it from there
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
why does it have to be a Marshall?
Budget?
Location = Europe
Used/New?
Head to use with?
Genre = Classic Rock/Metal

for the genres you want it for, I'd recommend a 4x12, but if thats too loud a 2x12" or even a 1x12" could work.

i hate when people ask that
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
i hate when people ask that
so do I, it's one of my huge peeves; Marshall gets more flack on here than any other site that I've seen on the internet, really for no reason.

to the TS; my favorite Marshall cab is the Vintage Modern cab. It's basically a 1960 cabinet with a set of custom Celestions that were designed for the JTM45 100 watt reissue, they pretty much own.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by al112987
so do I, it's one of my huge peeves; Marshall gets more flack on here than any other site that I've seen on the internet, really for no reason.

to the TS; my favorite Marshall cab is the Vintage Modern cab. It's basically a 1960 cabinet with a set of custom Celestions that were designed for the JTM45 100 watt reissue, they pretty much own.

I love Marshall, but I hate it when people get fixed on one brand/model. Absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall cabs (indeed they are one of the most rock'n'roll things in the world) but unless you're trying to look cool and want a Marshall backline on stage, IMO for the price there are much better cabs available. You pay for the name. Head wise, I would never say that - Marshall is the image of rock'n'roll and they make incredible amps, but you pay A LOT for the little white logo on the front.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I love Marshall, but I hate it when people get fixed on one brand/model. Absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall cabs (indeed they are one of the most rock'n'roll things in the world) but unless you're trying to look cool and want a Marshall backline on stage, IMO for the price there are much better cabs available. You pay for the name. Head wise, I would never say that - Marshall is the image of rock'n'roll and they make incredible amps, but you pay A LOT for the little white logo on the front.

I have owned 3 marshall 4x12 cabinets. There's a reason I keep buying them and it's not cause of the name. They are excellent contrary to what believe. The one I have now is coming up on 20 years and it is excellent.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
I have owned 3 marshall 4x12 cabinets. There's a reason I keep buying them and it's not cause of the name. They are excellent contrary to what believe. The one I have now is coming up on 20 years and it is excellent.
Ditto. My JCM 800 cab is fantastic and I'll definitely be adding a 1960a/bv cab to the stable when I've got some more cash flow.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
why does it have to be a Marshall?
Budget?
Location = Europe
Used/New?
Head to use with?
Genre = Classic Rock/Metal

for the genres you want it for, I'd recommend a 4x12, but if thats too loud a 2x12" or even a 1x12" could work.

You do realize that there's volume difference there, its more about added bass, fuller sound, and pain to your back?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by al112987

Other than the fact that their modern production amps are extremely mediocre and overpriced, I don't why anyone would trash talk them.

Swampash - I'm in the same boat as you. It irritates me when people limit themselves to one brand. "But I tried it and I really like it!" (is normally the reason given) and a lot of the time the brand they are asking about makes good products, but you still should never limit yourself to one brand of anything be it guitars, amps, cars, breakfast cereals, whatever.

TS: As Chuggy said, the speakers in the different models of the 1960 series aren't necessarily better than each other - they are all just voiced differently. Do some research on the different speakers that the different models come with and see which suites you best.

Edit:

Quote by acdclandon
You do realize that there's volume difference there, its more about added bass, fuller sound, and pain to your back?

What!?
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
It irritates me when people limit themselves to one brand.

Agreed. If you've already narrowed it down to a brand you've pretty much already made up your mind...so why make a thread about it? It's not as bad in this case, although you could just play the cabinets and see which you like better. You should always play gear before you buy anyway.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Other than the fact that their modern production amps are extremely mediocre and overpriced, I don't why anyone would trash talk them.
Extremely mediocre? How so?

JVM? Great amp. Vintage Modern? Objectively has good tone, albeit not for everyone, what else is in that $2000 range? Oranges? Mesa Boogies? Are they really any better? Not really, I'd rather have a JVM than a Rockerverb or any Mesa Rectifier because when it comes down to it, they just sound better. At least to my ears, and yet I never go around saying Oranges or Mesa Boogies are mediocre and overpriced (even though I do think they are overpriced).

Or other amps of theirs? JCM2000s are solid, their middle of the road amps are probably going to be... middle of the road. Their budget lines suck, but whose budget line doesn't suck? Fender Frontmans suck, yet if someone came here asking "What Fender would be best for what I want" no one is going to EVER say "why does it have to be a Fender?"
Quote by al112987
Extremely mediocre? How so?

JVM? Great amp. Vintage Modern? Objectively has good tone, albeit not for everyone, what else is in that $2000 range? Oranges? Mesa Boogies? Are they really any better? Not really, I'd rather have a JVM than a Rockerverb or any Mesa Rectifier because when it comes down to it, they just sound better. At least to my ears, and yet I never go around saying Oranges or Mesa Boogies are mediocre and overpriced (even though I do think they are overpriced).

Or other amps of theirs? JCM2000s are solid, their middle of the road amps are probably going to be... middle of the road. Their budget lines suck, but whose budget line doesn't suck? Fender Frontmans suck, yet if someone came here asking "What Fender would be best for what I want" no one is going to EVER say "why does it have to be a Fender?"

JVM - very far from a "great" amp. It sounds a bit thin and weak and is definitely not worth $2200, imo. Vintage modern is alright, but a lot of people don't like them.

As far as other amps in the price range? Lets see: Engl, Rivera, VHT/Fryette, Bogner, etc. ALL much better than any modern production Marshall.

As for the bold part of your comment - I have seen the comment "Why does it have to be a Fender" on these exact forums before - along with numerous other brands than "Marshall".
Let me ask you something, do you believe that Marshalls ever made great amps, and if so, what are these amps?
Quote by al112987
Let me ask you something, do you believe that Marshalls ever made great amps, and if so, what are these amps?

Yea they have made great amps. The JMPs from the 70's were amazing. Original JCM800's from the 80s were great. DSL50s are alright. The JCM800KK is one of the better sounding modern production amps, imo.

However, their modern production amps are made from cheap parts and just don't sound like Marshalls use to. Its pretty sad that you can buy a clone that can get the signature Marshall tone better than a modern production Marshall can, for a fraction of the cost.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea they have made great amps. The JMPs from the 70's were amazing. Original JCM800's from the 80s were great. DSL50s are alright. The JCM800KK is one of the better sounding modern production amps, imo.

However, their modern production amps are made from cheap parts and just don't sound like Marshalls use to. Its pretty sad that you can buy a clone that can get the signature Marshall tone better than a modern production Marshall can, for a fraction of the cost.
Interesting, and you've played '70s JMPs and original JCM800s from the '80s?

And you think that the JVM sounds thin and weak, but that a '70s JMP which is about 10x as bright and shrill as a JVM could probably ever sound, is a great amp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsADEelcTI

Far from being thin and weak
Quote by al112987
Interesting, and you've played '70s JMPs and original JCM800s from the '80s?

And you think that the JVM sounds thin and weak, but that a '70s JMP which is about 10x as bright and shrill as a JVM could probably ever sound, is a great amp?

I briefly played on a JMP once - a friend of mine's uncle has one. And a guy that I went to high school with has an original 2203 and he let me play around on it.

The thing about the JVM is its suppose to be a metal amp and fails when compared to other metal amps out there, where as the JMP isn't a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit:

Also "brightness" has nothing to do with being thin. An amp can be very bright but still have a full sound.

And that video you posted, I personally find his tone to be a little on the thin side. Plus he's using a 205 whereas the one I tried was a 410.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I briefly played on a JMP once - a friend of mine's uncle has one. And a guy that I went to high school with has an original 2203 and he let me play around on it.

The thing about the JVM is its suppose to be a metal amp and fails when compared to other metal amps out there, where as the JMP isn't a metal amp by any stretch of the imagination.
I really just don't get the reasoning is all, ignoring what an amp is "supposed to be" for a second, you say the JVM isn't a great amp because it sounds thin and weak, and that vintage Marshalls like a '70s JMP is better, which is objectively thinner, and brighter, and well... weaker sounding than a JVM.

I personally have never felt that the JVM was supposed to be a "metal" amp, your typical classic Marshall sound isn't what most people think of when they think modern metal, it's that big, over the top, larger than life British crunch, ala the JMP. It's the fact that you're saying it doesn't the classic Marshall sound, yet you're judging it on it's merits as a metal amplifier.

The whole thing surrounding the argument that the JVM is not a great amp because it's not good for metal and that it's not fair to judge the JMP as a metal amplifier (thus it's ok that it's thin and weak) is essentially implying that the JVM isn't supposed to sound like a Marshall and thus you aren't judging it based on what you think a Marshall "should" sound like.

Thus the whole argument of saying new Marshalls suck compared to old Marshalls basically makes no sense, what you're essentially saying is this:

I don't like green apples, they're to crispy and not citrus-y enough, but red apples are great, have a nice, clean, crispy taste.

Edit:

Also "brightness" has nothing to do with being thin. An amp can be very bright but still have a full sound.

And that video you posted, I personally find his tone to be a little on the thin side. Plus he's using a 205 whereas the one I tried was a 410
I assure you that if you think a JVM is weak and thin sounding, you will find a plexi, thin and weak, and an early '70s JMP, thin and weak.
Quote by al112987
long rant

I'm really not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying that I like the tone of vintage Marshalls over the tone of modern Marshalls. I also feel that you can get much better amps than modern Marshalls for less money.

I guess its all just opinion though and there is really no point in arguing about this.
Yeah sorry about that, I kind of went off on a rant, not trying to pick a fight or anything, it's just that I read waayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to often on this site "new Marshalls suck, vintage Marshalls are totally sweet" and 9 times out of 10 the reasoning behind that comment is entirely illogical, and in combination with my recent LSAT binge, I just can't help but to argue about it.
Quote by al112987
Yeah sorry about that, I kind of went off on a rant, not trying to pick a fight or anything, it's just that I read waayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to often on this site "new Marshalls suck, vintage Marshalls are totally sweet" and 9 times out of 10 the reasoning behind that comment is entirely illogical, and in combination with my recent LSAT binge, I just can't help but to argue about it.

Its all good man. I get carried away sometimes too. But to be fair I never said they sucked, I said they were mediocre

Don't get me wrong, if they weren't so expensive I would like them a lot more. I just personally can't justify paying the price that a new Marshall costs and knowing that I could get a better souding amp (imo) for the same amount of money.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Swampash - I'm in the same boat as you. It irritates me when people limit themselves to one brand. "But I tried it and I really like it!" (is normally the reason given) and a lot of the time the brand they are asking about makes good products, but you still should never limit yourself to one brand of anything be it guitars, amps, cars, breakfast cereals, whatever.

TS: As Chuggy said, the speakers in the different models of the 1960 series aren't necessarily better than each other - they are all just voiced differently. Do some research on the different speakers that the different models come with and see which suites you best.

Edit:

What!?

I meant that the difference between a 2x12 and 4x12 is pretty minimal in terms of volume, and the 4x12 is a much bigger pain to your back.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I meant that the difference between a 2x12 and 4x12 is pretty minimal in terms of volume, and the 4x12 is a much bigger pain to your back.

Oh I was confused lol. The difference in tone can be huge, though, depending on what you're looking for in an amp.
Quote by al112987

i hear ya man, i can`t stand when people are like Marshall sucks and why`s it have to be a Marshall.... well i don`t know cause it`s a BLOODY MARSHALL!!! HAHA i`ll agree, the MG and the the valvestates i`ve tryed, were huge dissappointments, but any "real" Marshall is far from bad, i don`t care what model or series it is. the JVM`s are awesome, so are the JCM 2000 DSL/TSL`s the JCM800 2203KK is just godly, so many people on UG just think MESA are so great when really there not.. not to me anyway. you want rip off, check a MESA`s price tag compared to a Marshall`s.

at least the one Marshall thats awesome to anyone is the JCM 800.
Way to bump an old ass thread for no reason.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by SwampAshSpecial

the only cabs i can safely call "better" than any marshall cab that isn't a Hendrix signature cab, would be the Vox heritage cabs with the blue backs, and the Orange 4x12s. both of them are more expensive.

EDIT: FFS why do people necro-bump?!

*reported*
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 13, 2009,