Page 1 of 2
Hey !!
Im a metal fan, and i wanted to listen to more blues, the usual stuff is fun, but are there any blues band that are heavy?
Clutch is a very heavy 'jam' band, definitely bluesy.
Also, some stoner or southern influenced bands. Try the latest Church of Misery record, it's doom with blues influence.
Rockin' the Gibson SG Standard Cherry!
Quote by epcifail
Megadeth? BLUESY? :O

From Interview with James Lomenzo

"When I first met Dave Mustaine, I said, “I might not be the right guy for this band ‘cause really at heart I’m a blues basher.” And he said, “Megadeth is a blues band, its. It’s just a lot faster!”"
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Nov 12, 2009,
Clutch is the best example of Blues metal

but Grady is also quite good, Orange Goblin has some very bluesy songs (thanks goolz)
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Gov't Mule has some heavy songs that still have a major blues influence. Then of course there's bands like Zeppelin and Deep Purple which really need no explanation.
I heard that yer man Yngwie Malmsteen has a great blues track, it's wonderfully entitled "Blue". It's an imaginative piece by a brilliant original guitar player.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by matt92l
I heard that yer man Yngwie Malmsteen has a great blues track, it's wonderfully entitled "Blue". It's an imaginative piece by a brilliant original guitar player.

I've heard of this song, if I remember correctly it sounds like pentatonic diarrhea
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Pentatonic Diarrhoea, on speed.

The closest feeling to the blues Malmsteen has ever had, was that one time in the 90s when he ran out of donuts
Last edited by JilaX^ at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by JilaX^
Pentatonic Diarrhoea, on speed.

The closest feeling to the blues Malmsteen has ever had, was that one time in the 90s when he ran out of donuts

Not sure whether to laugh along with ya or flame ya

on the real though, I was analyzing some specific blues-based Yngwie licks (just for kicks), and I must say, he IS a darned good blues player. and it's a shame really, 'cos he simply plays so much that some of the more nuanced and really soulful musical ideas that he has, get lost in a torrent of that proverbial focken fury. if anyone has his REH instructional videos from the late 80's, check out the part where he discusses his "blues soloing"

now onto the thread:

TS: you may not know this, but about every heavy metal act starting from Sabbath, thru to the glam metal of the 80s borrowed 85% of their soloing concepts from blues based ideas. so really the idea of your thread is completely redundant.

and if you're looking specifically for a band that plays blues out stacks of Randall amps, using Jackson and ESP guitars - well, I'll stop right there before I attack your falling IQ (for more reasons than I could be bothered to explain).

if you want to listen to some harder edged blues, I'd recommend Joe Bonamassa. He gets pretty heavy for a blues player (at least in some songs anyway).
Quote by Axegrinder#9

on the real though, I was analyzing some specific blues-based Yngwie licks (just for kicks), and I must say, he IS a darned good blues player. and it's a shame really, 'cos he simply plays so much that some of the more nuanced and really soulful musical ideas that he has, get lost in a torrent of that proverbial focken fury. if anyone has his REH instructional videos from the late 80's, check out the part where he discusses his "blues soloing"

now onto the thread:

TS: you may not know this, but about every heavy metal act starting from Sabbath, thru to the glam metal of the 80s borrowed 85% of their soloing concepts from blues based ideas. so really the idea of your thread is completely redundant.

and if you're looking specifically for a band that plays blues out stacks of Randall amps, using Jackson and ESP guitars - well, I'll stop right there before I attack your falling IQ (for more reasons than I could be bothered to explain).

if you want to listen to some harder edged blues, I'd recommend Joe Bonamassa. He gets pretty heavy for a blues player (at least in some songs anyway).

only problem is there is more to the blues than just the blues scale. you also gotta have a blues form, dominants as the tonic chord, shuffles etc.

i dunno if there is a 'blues-metal' band. try scott henderson, his blues albums are kind of heavy
gary moore is the first that comes to my mind.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I agree with Tompa and Carswell, I'd say 'Clutch' fit this cross-genre closest but think about it, they are genres that don't naturally meet. They are worlds apart. You'll have to look into rock music as that is the nearest common ground between blues and metal, but it doesn't do either metal or blues any favours (and that's coming from a very big rock fan). Mentioning metal and blues in the same sentence makes me shudder.

Saying metal-blues reminds me of the Mighty Boosh glam-folk scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHHHWzImk04
Quote by Axegrinder#9

Oh come. You're being ridiculous. The man does not know how to play the blues. I'm sorry, but he just doesn't understand the basics of the music, and fails completely. The man can play fast as hell, and do arpeggios like few. But, the blues? Nope.

now onto the thread:

Yeah, Black Sabbath used to be a blues band, before they were a metal band.
Quote by JilaX^
Oh come. You're being ridiculous. The man does not know how to play the blues. I'm sorry, but he just doesn't understand the basics of the music, and fails completely. The man can play fast as hell, and do arpeggios like few. But, the blues? Nope.

I didn't feel like yelling at axegrinder, but that said what I would have
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

joe bonamassa
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Axegrinder#9
^ NOW lookee here! I'm still being insistent. I agree no doubt that he misses the point behind playing the blues when he is - BUT he's busted out that one lick which let's you know, that the Yngmeister knows a thing or two about playing the blues.

I'm still gonna have to disagree. (And yes, I've listened to Blue, and those 80s lessons you mentioned) He just doesn't understand that playing the blues is more than the blues scale. It's about a certain feel, phrasing, timing, dynamics, building up a solo, etc.
What he does, just. Doesn't fit into the concept of blues playing. Sorry.

Quote by Carswell98

I didn't feel like yelling at axegrinder, but that said what I would have

Not yelling at him though.... Yet.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Nov 14, 2009,
Blue Cheer (even though they technically predate "Metal") were the first thing I thought of. Listen to "Parchment Farm" or "The Hunter".
Blue Cheer is pretty awesome, don't think I'd call them metal, but they definitely were close, like Cream
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by JilaX^
He just doesn't understand that playing the blues is more than the blues scale. It's about a certain feel, phrasing, timing, dynamics, building up a solo, etc.

and you think Yngwie doesn't understand these things

I'm not going to argue in favor of Yngwie quintessential blues guitarist, but I will say this - I think you should listen harder. Credit should be given where it is due.

For sure he does miss the point behind what it means to REALLY play the blues, but it's not like he's trying to REALLY play the blues anyway y'know? Just saying that when he does throw those blues licks in bub, he does it right - within the context of HIS music.

PS: and just for clarification, in my original post regarding this, my language might have implied that I was putting Yngwie as an example of some blues-rock virtuoso. That is definitely not the idea that I was putting forward - simply that he does a very good job of incorporating the blues within the musical idiom that he works in.
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Nov 14, 2009,
Even tho im not a huge fan: Pantera.

Dimebag was a huge blues fan.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Been said already, but Clutch are as close as it gets.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
maybe Blues Saraceno, although i havent listened extensively to him, he seems to incorparate metal ideas into the blues form.
down mix southern rock with sludge, so there's quite a bit of bluesy guitarwork going on. i'd recommend the album 'nola.'

most stoner doom is fairly bluesy...check out these songs:
funeralopolis - electric wizard
saturnine - electric wizard
goin south - pod people
back to reality - pod people

also check out some bands like acid witch, sleep, etc. some traditional doom bands might be what you're looking for too. try saint vitus.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
slash is pretty blusey but not quite metal
Schecter C-1 classic
Fender Blues Junior

EHX metal muff
Digitech Hardwire delay
Rockband mic (gotta record some how)

new guitar: $282/$500
ive yet to hear any metal bands use blues form so i doubt there is much out there

if you want to listen to blues, listen to blues -.- gimmicks and tricks like distortion and pedals and all that junk dont make music heavy
and if you listened to my examples you would see that they don't use distortion to make the music heavy.
Quote by B4Dkarma

Quote by pistols
and if you listened to my examples you would see that they don't use distortion to make the music heavy.

and if you read my post you would see that it was in no way, shape or form directed at you
i just disagreed with your comment on 'gimmicks and tricks.' what tone a guitarist uses is up to them. i never thought you had directed it at me.
Quote by B4Dkarma

all im saying is these cats think that tuning your guitar to bass frequency and using distortion to cover avoid notes and make everything muddy = heavy, when it doesnt, it just = shit.

"and if you listened to my examples you would see that they don't use distortion to make the music heavy."

yeah you directed it at me, because i was the only one talking about distortion. and you phrased your sentence in the same way i did mine. dont try to hide that you got rubbed the wrong way when i made a blanket comment
Page 1 of 2