So the iTunes 9 update has corrupted my ipod to the extent of essentially killing it.

This has happened to a number of other people. As things stands it looks like our ipods are beyond repair.

I'm hoping to warn others before they suffer the same fate we have...
wait what?

I have a 120gb ipod classic, i have updated itunes but not plugged the ipod into the computer, may just leave it until this is sorted.
I've updated to itunes 9 and plugged my 80gig classic in several times. works fine
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Quote by Wylde_Guitarist
I've updated to itunes 9 and plugged my 80gig classic in several times. works fine

This. You should call Apple and demand Great Justice.
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
I have been to the apple shop and sat down with a (stupid) 'Genius', been on the phone to apple and everything. I'm also out of warranty so the only way this will get resolved is if i find a solution myself, apple do for everyone.

Also i wasn't saying that this happens to every user of a classic ipod but it has to many. Thus you're better off sticking with itunes 8 to not risk it.

I also guarantee that apple will not provide me with great justice. They don't give a stuff about ipod users, only 'real' apple products.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151907&start=180&tstart=0

says it all