Page 1 of 2
It's been troubling me for some time, and no matter how much thought goes into it, I can't find the one definitive reason why a band achieves world class recognition instead of another.
Does anyone know what it takes to be a top band?
It takes just the right blend of originality, catchiness, and marketing. The problem is the percentages of each change depending on which audience you're going for and/or appeal to.
Last edited by PSM at Nov 12, 2009,
Drugs.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Fame!
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Gakbez
John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham

pfft...

Not going to touch that with a fifty foot pole.

What separates good bands from great bands is a killer live show. Stage presence is key no matter how many people think it isn't that big of a deal, it is.
I think your confusing "great band" with "famous or well-known band". I've seen some great bands that unfortunately have not achieved the recognition they deserve. It all comes down to artistic creativity.
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Opinion
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by jetfuel495
This, twice. Record labels and genre labels.

True. I was referring to record labels, though.

TS:
Ever wonder why some of the most bland bands/styles of popular music are huge? Marketing, marketing, marketing. Labels want to promote what will sell... its called "the music industry" for a reason, right? Labels don't want to waste their time and money on bands that the general public will not like/understand.

Personally, some of the most creative/original music I've ever heard is "underground."
MATTERHORN
Quote by Mechanixx
Opinion

This.
While driving yesterday, I saw a banana peel on the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
Different tastes?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Good bands have a few good songs whereas great bands have a few great albums.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Last edited by El Hilliaro at Nov 12, 2009,

And talent, originality and ambition.

And a sock down the front of your pants never hurt...
1 John Lennon
1 Paul McCartney
1 George Harrison
1 Ringo Starr

Great bands have those.
Might just be my opinion
Quote by bendystraw
I go down on one knee and do that shit cello style

Quote by Tomosaurus
1 John Lennon
1 Paul McCartney
1 George Harrison

Great bands have those.
Might just be my opinion

Fix´D
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
I would simply say skilled musicians, an exceptional vocalist, great image (this is important no matter how much you say it's all about talent,) songwriting skill and a good live show are all required to make a great band.
Good bands are ones I sorta like, and great bands are ones I really like.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
To me, it's songwriting skill. A song can have amazing sweep picking and crazy drumming, but that doesn't really matter to me when combined with mediocre songwriting. Instrumental skill comes after years of practice, songwriting skill is a little more natural.

Also, catchiness has nothing to do with it for me. A song can be catchy which means that it will get stuck in my head. However, that doesn't make it a great song.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by hugh20
Longevity

Completely disagree.

Some of the best bands of all time lasted less than a few years.

Sex Pistols
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Nirvana
Quote by iwannabesedated
Completely disagree.

Some of the best bands of all time lasted less than a few years.

Sex Pistols
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Nirvana

I mean people still listen to them years later, like they do with those bands

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
What makes a good band? good musicians

What makes a great band? great musicians

What makes a band well known? promotion
Awsome Guitar!!!!!!!
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by maidenfan15
To me, it's songwriting skill. A song can have amazing sweep picking and crazy drumming, but that doesn't really matter to me when combined with mediocre songwriting. Instrumental skill comes after years of practice, songwriting skill is a little more natural.

Also, catchiness has nothing to do with it for me. A song can be catchy which means that it will get stuck in my head. However, that doesn't make it a great song.

But what about improvisation? There are bands out there that can take a basic, boring structure and improvise the hell out of it and make an amazing song, and there's no songwriting there.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Page 1 of 2