What are some advantages/ disadvantages to this sort of system and if its so fantastic how come you dont often see it?
Quote by MikeHYA
What are some advantages/ disadvantages to this sort of system and if its so fantastic how come you dont often see it?

Its supposed to make the intonation of your guitar more precise. There are other similar products such as Earvana nuts.

They aren't going to make a huge difference, as no guitar can be perfectly intonated because of the way they are designed.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 12, 2009,
so only recommended if your guitar has poor intonation on its own? its just something you can do to improve it?
Quote by MikeHYA
so only recommended if your guitar has poor intonation on its own? its just something you can do to improve it?

No guitar has perfect intonation. You can get close, but not perfect. Those nuts might help a bit, but the only way to get perfect intonation is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEOY3SqxMc0
Technically saying, 99% of guitars have poor intonation Even if you get your perfect octaves on XII and XXIV fret, some notes will most likely be more or less +/- 10 cents off. It's because the frets on a traditional guitar are some kind of compromise, they guarantee PLAYABLE intonation, not a perfect one. To get perfect temperament, you'd have to get frets like these ones:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/3223-steve-vai-true-temperment-a-new-type-of-guitar-fretboard-.html
Pretty impractical, TBH.
Last edited by zombiak at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by MikeHYA
cant get over how ugly they are

There aren't designed to be pretty, but to give perfect intonation. On a side note, if you did have a guitar like that, with the tempered frets, you would no longer be able to play along with a regular guitar, because the standard frets would sound out of tune compared to the tempered.

So its best to stick with what you have.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 12, 2009,
I don't get how you could bend on those true temper guitars without having the tone get all shot to hell
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
tons of guitars have buzz feiten systems.
they are great if you get really annoyed at your 1 - 7 frets being out of tune like me
earvana nuts are great too
basically designed for all the Steve Vai's of the world who have perfect pitch and can hear any 2-3 cent nuance in a note change, for the average joe, it wont do much to help you.

IMO, part of the guitar is not being in perfect intonation, like the old tele's they had the 3 saddles, it was that lack of perfect intonation that gave them that special little growl that their loved so much for.

edit: heres a Vai vid with those frets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTLZ59eUMY&feature=player_embedded
Last edited by POWERMETAL! at Nov 12, 2009,
I wouldn't personally mind that true temperament fretwork....

EDIT: I just saw that Matthias IA Eklundh also has it
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by MLilienthal
tons of guitars have buzz feiten systems.
they are great if you get really annoyed at your 1 - 7 frets being out of tune like me
earvana nuts are great too

I have an Earvana nut on my Strat. The difference is shockingly better.
All or most Washburn guitars come with this, I have one and can't tell how it works, but my guitar does have good intonation.
I started crying while watching that Steve Vai video.

I may have just lost my cyber dignity, but there's no way I can say "Yeah, I play guitar, pretty well" ever again.
Just like a tunable bridge is adjustable to compensate for the length of each string, the Buzz Feiten nut compensates for different lengths at that end of the neck, though it isn't as obvious as, say, the Music Man compensated nut. It does make a difference, and you'll probably see more variations on this system become available. As far as I know, they aren't drop-in replacements for any stock nut - they have to remove a little bit more material in order to install them.
Quote by FatalGear41
Just like a tunable bridge is adjustable to compensate for the length of each string, the Buzz Feiten nut compensates for different lengths at that end of the neck, though it isn't as obvious as, say, the Music Man compensated nut. It does make a difference, and you'll probably see more variations on this system become available. As far as I know, they aren't drop-in replacements for any stock nut - they have to remove a little bit more material in order to install them.

Which is why the Earvana is better IMO. Easy to install, doesnt require any modification or a special tuner, and unless you have an excellent ear, you wont be able to tell the difference between the Buzz Feiten and Earvana
Quote by Slicer666
I wouldn't personally mind that true temperament fretwork....

EDIT: I just saw that Matthias IA Eklundh also has it

I think a few of Mattias' signature Caparison's are getting the true temperament fretboard so if you have deep pockets you could always buy one and see how it feels. Or you could just get the true temperament boys to build a neck for you to fit on your strat.
Quote by littlephil
Which is why the Earvana is better IMO. Easy to install, doesnt require any modification or a special tuner, and unless you have an excellent ear, you wont be able to tell the difference between the Buzz Feiten and Earvana

It's probably noticeably less expensive, too. Their ESP guitar nut looks a lot like the Music Man compensated nut. I know those work very well, so the Earvana is probably a good bet. I've never played a guitar with one installed, though.
Quote by POWERMETAL!
basically designed for all the Steve Vai's of the world who have perfect pitch and can hear any 2-3 cent nuance in a note change, for the average joe, it wont do much to help you.

IMO, part of the guitar is not being in perfect intonation, like the old tele's they had the 3 saddles, it was that lack of perfect intonation that gave them that special little growl that their loved so much for.

edit: heres a Vai vid with those frets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTLZ59eUMY&feature=player_embedded

I cringe whenever i play open minor chords on even a mid range guitar and i don't consider myself anywhere near vai (thank god)
it's a LOT more than 2 - 3 cents
Quote by azn_guitarist25
I think a few of Mattias' signature Caparison's are getting the true temperament fretboard so if you have deep pockets you could always buy one and see how it feels. Or you could just get the true temperament boys to build a neck for you to fit on your strat.

Plan on buying one eventually anyway Someone I know has an applehorn, it's ****in awesome
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.