Hi! I'm a shredder, I love playing speed metal and I can't decide between a 12" radius and a 16". People say that a high radius will make chords more difficult to take. But Dave Mustaine(rhythm guitar) uses a 16" radius on his VMNT signature. And this is where the things don't match. Im going to build my guitar to a local luthier and he doesn't have the tools required to do a compound radius fingerboard. Just a single radius
I'm sure Dave uses power chords and not barre chords or any crazy chords. Then again, Allan Holdsworth plays Jazz fusion and does crazy chords with his Carvin Signature, which has 20" radius and the synth version has a 16" radius.

Just go with whatever feels comfortable to you.
PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

HA!

GOT YOU!

OT:Larger Radius=Better lead playing
Smaller Radious=Better rhythm/chord playing/strumming. (Bar Chords.)
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
i put a 20 in radius on my last build and i LOVE it!

HONESTLY 16 is probably perfect though! its the perfect middle ground.

you'll love the 16 too, just make sure to get some massive frets in there!
Quote by POWERMETAL!
i put a 20 in radius on my last build and i LOVE it!

HONESTLY 16 is probably perfect though! its the perfect middle ground.

you'll love the 16 too, just make sure to get some massive frets in there!

Of course. 16"radius, thick neck and 6105 frets
16 with massive frets is my favourite
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by POWERMETAL!
6105? be a man, 6000's

plz plz plz!?
lol or 6100's... or which ever you prefer.

Lets be reasonable...Satch and vai r both using 6105...I currently have 6100 on my axe and I find'em a lil too wide
My best advice, as others have said, is to go out there and find a few of each style neck and play them for a while so you can get a feel for the difference and which you like better. Just because a guitarist you like prefers certain fretboard specs doesn't mean that's what's going to be most comfortable for you.
Quote by PSM
My best advice, as others have said, is to go out there and find a few of each style neck and play them for a while so you can get a feel for the difference and which you like better. Just because a guitarist you like prefers certain fretboard specs doesn't mean that's what's going to be most comfortable for you.

You're so right about that but where I live, there are like 4 guitar shops and none of the guys are friendly if you aren't buying anything. I know it's odd...but.. ehh
So at the moment I'm only based on theories and previous experiences with different guitars
Definitely go try lots of different necks out and just see what is most comfortable for you. This applies to anything relating to guitar spec. Advice on the internet, theory and "what the professionals use" can only get you so far and will never give you as good results as simply trying tons of stuff out for yourself and seeing what takes your fancy.

Especially if you're going to a private lutheir to have a guitar custom built for you, you should really have a solid idea in your head of what exactly it is that suits you best.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.