Relevant Links:

http://www.steinberger.com/
http://www.steinbergerworld.com/
http://thinkns.com/
Ebay

Im going to list the current models, as they are the only ones in production, but the older models are more detailed at steinbergerworld, as well as a general history behind the company and models it evolved with. anything you think i should add let me know!

Current Models:

Spirit GT-PRO Standard

GT-PRO Standard: Nothing looks like a Steinberger and nothing performs like one either! The Spirit GT-Pro guitar features the same distinctive body-shape as the award-winning Steinberger GL Series and features the trademark “headless” design with the patented Double-Ball™ tuning system. Add to that, a 3-piece hard Maple neck going completely through the body reinforced with an adjustable truss rod and this guitar is not only stable, it’s practically indestructible.

Spirit GT-PRO Deluxe

GT-PRO Deluxe: Other features include the patented locking R-Trem™ system with direct-pull, 40:1 ratio machine heads, three (humbucker- single - humbucker) Steinberger™ pickups and folding leg rest for playing comfort while sitting. And the GT-Pro is perhaps the world's most "travel-friendly" and convenient guitar ever made. It comes complete with a gigbag and, being only 30" in length, fits anywhere including airplane overhead luggage bins. If you’re on a budget but still need and want an instrument with Steinberger features and performance, the Spirit GT-Pro is perfect for you. Steinberger – State of the Instrument.

(basically the only difference is the pickups^)

Synapse SS-2F and Custom

SS-2F: Designed by Ned Steinberger, the Synapse guitar is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of every Synapse is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard and a neck-thru body design to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as ultimate stability!

Synapse ST-2FPA and Custom

ST-2FPA: Play it open and it's a baritone, roll the built-in capo up a couple of frets and it's a normal 25-1/2" guitar. Continue rolling the capo up the neck and… well… it’s just about anything! Designed by Ned Steinberger, the Synapse guitar is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of every Synapse is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard and a neck-thru body design to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as ultimate stability!

Add to that, a proprietary piezo-equipped bridge with 1-piece aluminum saddle combined with low-impedance EMG USA humbuckers and you've got an instrument with infinite tonal possibilities and increased frequency response. Isolate the piezo bridge to get simmering acoustic-like tones. Turn up the EMG's and you’ve got classic, high-output humbuckers – from clean to super crunchy. Combine the two pickup systems and let your imagination run wild.

*The above also comes in a version with a body resembling a warlock guitar.

ZT-3 Custom

ZT-3 Custom: Since the introduction of the first Steinberger instruments in 1980, the Steinberger name has become synonymous with evolution, innovation, ergonomics and performance. Continuing that tradition, Steinberger announces the new ZT3™ guitar with the revolutionary new version of the TransTrem™ transposing tremolo system. As it was with the introduction of the first Steinberger’s equipped with the original TransTrem, the new ZT3 is the world’s ONLY guitar capable of transposing keys and bending chords in pitch. Simply move the tremolo arm to the un-locked playing position and dial in your key. The TransTrem can take you from standard “E” tuning up to “F” and then to “F#” or down to “Eb” or way down to “D.” Lock in the key by moving the arm back and you’re ready for anything. And, when locked, the tremolo acts much like a “fixed” bridge in that sustain is improved and should you break a string, the other strings still stay in tune. In the un-locking position, the TransTrem acts like a regular tremolo capable of extreme pitch bending with smooth and renowned Steinberger accuracy.

But the ZT3 isn’t just about the TransTrem. This new “Z” design created by Ned Steinberger is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of it’s construction is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as excellent stability.

Two custom-made USA humbuckers combined with an innovative switching system lets you tap into 8 different combintations. By using a push/pull switch on both the volume and the tone controls, you can use the ZT3’s pickups “in series” as you would other two humbucker-equipped instruments but also “in parallel” to create single-coil tones but without the noise typically associated with stand-alone single coil pickups. The result is a guitar that works for a variety of styles – from rock to blues, jazz to country.

Basses:

XT-2
*Also comes in a 5-string version and DB bridge version(for sake of conserving space in the post im not going to post them all)

XT-2: Nothing looks like a Steinberger and nothing performs like one either! The Spirit XT-2 is a 4-string bass featuring the same distinctive body-shape as the award-winning Steinberger XL Series and features the trademark headless neck with the patented Double-Ball™ tuning system. Add to that, a 3-piece hard Maple neck going completely through the body reinforced with an adjustable truss rod and this bass is not only stable, it’s practically indestructible!

XS-1FPA

XS-1FPA: Steinberger has long been famous for designing the most comfortable and balanced basses the world has ever seen and the Synapse bass is no different. Designed by Ned Steinberger, the Synapse bass guitar is a HYBRID instrument combining the strength, rigidity and clarity of graphite with the warmth and beauty of wood. At the heart of every Synapse is our Cybrosonic™ neck featuring our patented graphite U-channel with adjustable truss rod uniquely crafted into a 3-piece, hard maple neck. We then add a smooth and durable phenolic fingerboard and a glued-in body design to create an instrument with distinctive tonal clarity, sustain, "pop" and response as well as ultimate stability!

*also comes in a 5 string.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jan 7, 2011,
They play and sound nice, but I wouldn't get one due to the...ugliness...
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
All Synapses are fixed bridges.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
sorry about putting this in the gear forum, didnt see the fine print lol. saw guitar brands in there and naturally thought i could post this in there.

but anyway, damn i wish synapses had a whammy bar cuz id def look into getting one. it seems wierd that they wouldnt have a trem, because of the double ball tuning system, it seems like they meant for these guitar to never go out of tune especially with something like a trem. just seems like a main reason for one of these guitars.

would anyone suggest buying any of the older models second hand or through ebay to get a trem without getting a peice of shit like the spirit or spending 1500 dollars on the zt3?

basically can anyone point me to another stenberger thats basically a synapse with a trem bar on it? ie. no variable capo(dmn ridges are wierd and so are the dots, i played one of those ones recently), trem, 3 peice graphite AND wooden neck/body.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
ahha, i have a headless one lying in my store, no one buys it, bad investment
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Its easier to modify a spirit for peizo than to modify a synapse for a trem.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
I have had a black and white Steinberger since about 1982, I think it was probably built 1979 or 80. In spite of its ugliness, it is absolutely one of my favourites. I may put it aside for a year or so, but in the end I always come back to it. It is definitely the guitar I've used most on stage. The clean tone is pretty sterile, but crank it up and it soars! There is a wonderful definition in the tone that actually makes it cut through a muddled mix really well. I do play with a lot of gain and let the tubes do the work (no OD boxes), and this is where the Steinberger is at its best.

And the Transtrem is a total killer. I would love to have it on my other guitars. It takes a while to change strings and set the lever for each string, but the reward is great. If I do it well, I can play a chord and go down 3-4 half tones and still be in tune. On some tunes on stage I will lock the tremolo one tone down and play the whole song. I have even locked it one tone down mid tune to get real rubber band solos.

The ugliness is something I have gotten used to. Quite a few guys actually think it is cool. They call it the laser gun.
I have had a black and white Steinberger since about 1982, I think it was probably built 1979 or 80. In spite of its ugliness, it is absolutely one of my favourites. I may put it aside for a year or so, but in the end I always come back to it. It is definitely the guitar I've used most on stage. The clean tone is pretty sterile, but crank it up and it soars! There is a wonderful definition in the tone that actually makes it cut through a muddled mix really well. I do play with a lot of gain and let the tubes do the work (no OD boxes), and this is where the Steinberger is at its best.

And the Transtrem is a total killer. I would love to have it on my other guitars. It takes a while to change strings and set the lever for each string, but the reward is great. If I do it well, I can play a chord and go down 3-4 half tones and still be in tune. On some tunes on stage I will lock the tremolo one tone down and play the whole song. I have even locked it one tone down mid tune to get real rubber band solos.

The ugliness is something I have gotten used to. Quite a few guys actually think it is cool. They call it the laser gun.
I checked the serial number on the net, and it seems like it was built 1985 or 86. So i couldn't have bought it 1982 now could I? I've only owned it for 24 years or so.
RESURRECTION!!!!!

ive recently renewed my interest in these guitars! im not far off on a purchase finally. anyone have one of these guitars? anyone built one or converted a regular to a headless?

come all the few like who dig these guitars!
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
original post MEGA edit
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Ugly but cool. Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult plays and endorses Steinberger but I don't see any of his type of models on the site, so maybe not anymore.
his are customs if i recall. especially the swiss cheese one.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
i think these guitars are an aquired taste. they def look alot cooler to me now than they did before. some of the body styles are really awesome looking. theyre like futuristic but still seem really organic to me for some reason.

btw cephalid, you said its easier to modify a synapse for a piezo, have you actually done this before? care to shed any light on how i could do this myself?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
you would modify a spirit for piezo, or for a synapse buy the bridge and wire it up for piezo.

http://www.jonbondy.com/Piezo.htm

http://www.reithguitars.com/custom/retail-services.html

your looking into the 500-600 dollar range, but having a tremolo and piezo is pretty sweet.
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
They're very interesting guitars, but it looks like they accidentally the head stocks
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
They've had the same 8 production models available for ages now. O_O

They need new products.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Loving the ZT-3 lately. They need to bring back the GS!! Sh*t was SO CASH.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
They've had the same 8 production models available for ages now. O_O

They need new products.

Gibson's too busy making ugly robot guitars to throw any money into the Steinberger lines.

I don't really like any of Steinberger's newer offerings. Someday I'll add an old L/XL and XP bass to my stable, but the new wood models don't hold a candle to their older graphite counterparts.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm glad this thread has appeared as I've had a problem with my Hohner G3T (a copy of the Spirit Pro).

It has the same Steinberger licensed trem but I have different saddles and that's where the problem lies. Basically, for the G (and to a lesser extent the B) saddle moves towards the nut while the guitar is being played. The only thing holding the saddle still is the two screws that are turned to alter the action but they have now carved a groove along the length the saddle has moved.

I tried glueing them in with nail polish but they worked free quite quickly.I'm reluctant to try any stronger glues for fear of damaging the trem/not being able to remove the saddle when i need to.

Off topic, at the min I have 10s on it and I really don't like it. 9s for next change I think. Also the EMG select pickups are a little poor. I have a youtube vid if anyone cares.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
afoolandaknave: can you switch the positions of the saddles, like swap them for the top 2 strings' saddles?
Gear:
Peavey XXL head
I just stumbled across this threat and figured I'd contribute because I play one now.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts:
Quote by Linqua5150
i think these guitars are an aquired taste.

I have a baritone synapse, and it took me for god-damn ever to get used to it. The thicker strings, the dot-markers being in different places, the fret-board not being made of wood, and the strap placement kind threw me off a bit because it encourages a bit of a more proper angle of the neck.

Once you get the hang of it though, it's a pretty sweet guitar.

I play for about an hour a day and I only need to tune it once every couple of months. The tone you get out of it has a pretty good range when you start including the piezo, and the fret-board is really accommodating once you get used to the warmth of playing on wood fret-boards.

My only complaint is that I had to pay $40 in the first year to get the battery connection re-soldered. That was pretty bullshitty. I don't pay $1,200 to ship in a guitar with crappy insides for the same reason that I don't request a mail-order-bride because I know a guy that can straighten out her nose.

If you're thinking about getting one, consider thinking about what you want it for. This isn't as much an express yourself and find enlightenment kind of guitar as it is a soulless robo-horseman of the apocalypse. It's tone will melt your face with it's sheer capacity for rage, and playing it will re-introduce you to the kind of throbbing pain between your tendons that you haven't experienced since you were 12 and first learning pentatonics...then you'll probably get used to the higher gauge after a month or so and find it's pretty good for whatever kind of kinky jazz stuff your into when nobody's looking.
Funky c, Funky do