Hey guys
I know your going to think "What a stupid question , he uses loads of pedals" , but along with distortion , what gives Dave Gilmour that epic amazing tone like for Comfortably numb? Is it reverb or delay more that works along side his overdrive/distorion for that really epic tone?

Again , sorry for the 'stupid' question.
Cheers guys!
He uses a Delay and a Fuzz. Check out the Gilmourish website, that has alot of info on Gilmour's gear.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
A. Remove your hands.

B. Go to remove David Gilmour's hands and the bit of his brain that controls them.

C. Having got to his house, realise you can't his hands on yourself and his brain in yourself because you don't have any hands with which to cut Gilmour's hands and brain off.

D. Persuade a bystander (or hit him with your bloody stumps until he relents) to call a mate to do the cutting and surgery.

E. Invest in a lot of very expensive equipment.

You'll then probably start to sound like him. Sorry mate, it's all about the feeling, not the effects, with Gilmour.
Last edited by webbtje at Nov 12, 2009,
tone comes from more then just gear

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Cranked Hiwatt 100W head, Ram's Head Big Muff, Fender Strat. That will get you really close.

For those of you who can't differentiate between style and tone, please refrain from posting. There's a difference between the texture of a sound and the skill/phrasing involved in making said sound.

EDIT: TS, in terms of other effects, Gilmour would use chorus, flanger, and delay. I'm not sure what chorus he had, but he often used an EHX Electric Mistress and an MXR Digital Delay live for the Wall. Check the Gilmourish site posted earlier if you're that curious. However, the only things used on the CN solo were the things I posted above, and maybe some reverb and short slapback delay.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Nov 12, 2009,
also, during the solo and the solo in young lust he uses an electric mistress.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Practice some SRV and a bit of Jeff Beck, and remember when playing his stuff that you should use your index finger as the fulcrum, meaning your thumb should NOT be in the back of the neck, but near wrapping around the top of it. This will allow your to slam your fingers into the strings with the same angle and force that gilmour does, but be careful, he frequently switches in and out of blues position for legato runs to be melodic. Listen and play until it sounds similar.
Thanks very much for the replies guys!
Yeah sorry , probably should of said , im trying to get Dave Gilmours SORT of tone.
I really dig that epic solo sound
I have a Procorat and multi effects , but i think im going to get a digital delay pedal.
Would a proco rat and digital delay pedal help achieve that kind of epic solo sound?

Thanks!

Also , what other stompbox would be a good way to go to achieve it?

Thanks!
The rat would probably be pretty good for
getting an epic solo sound. An overdrive can help as well. What amp is all this runnin through?

I find a touch of reverb to go with your delay on a solo can really
sweeten the whole thing up.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

For "The Wall" he used an MXR digital delay, but they no longer produce it.

I don't think a Proco Rat will be particularly close to David's tone, but it'd be great if you wanna sound like yourself. If you can find one, however, a Ram's Head Big Muff would be spot on. A regular NYC Big Muff would be fine, though.

As for an overdrive, maybe look into an Ibanez TS808 or a Maxon OD808, or a DigiTech Bad Monkey or Dano Transparent OD on the cheap.

As for delay, check out the Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, or a Malekko Ekko 616. If you decide to go digital, go for the Tech 21 Boost DLA, DigiTech Hardwire DL-8, or the TC Electronic Nova Repeater.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 13, 2009,
Remember also that he mostly used Gibsons in the studio. Listen to the first parts of Shine On and then listen to the completely different tones in the closing parts. Listen to Animals and I bet you can pick out which bits were on a Strat and which were on a Les Paul (and which were not Gilmour)
Getting that tone from a Strat, live on stage is simple. Set up four 100w Hiwatt stacks with WEM bottoms (with Crescendos) and Hiwatt top cabs (with specially made Fanes) and you're almost there. Add in pedals and his simple but effective style and you have it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It's a good question. It's pretty easy to get the 'epic solo' sound (delay is the single big factor) but there's many different types. getting a good amp tone you're happy with is the crucial bit, once you've got that you can use different pedals and effects to get the sound just right.

Can you list all the gear you currently use? I'll suggest some ways to get the most out of it.