So Bass Forum,

After playing bass a year and now the proud owner of an Ibanez SRX390 (the sex), I am going to buy a bass amp to replace my 10w kustom guitar one.

This is within my budget, and its sounds sexy but is it loud enough to cope in a band practice situation (i.e. a drummer and two guitarists)?

Cheers.
Last edited by FionnRuadh at Nov 12, 2009,
Depends on your drummer and where you practise. The drummer in one of my bands is a girl so I manage well wtih a 30w, however at school the drummer in my other band is so loud that I need at least 300w.
Quote by Spaz91
The drummer in one of my bands is a girl so I manage well wtih a 30w

Really? 30W? Wow.

And yeah TS, it completely depends, I got on just fine with a 65W amp cranked with 2 guitarists (1 SS and 1 Tube), and a drummer, but it completely depends on other people. If you have a guitard that won't turn down, or a drummer that tries to destroy the universe every time he lays down a beat then you'll be needing a lot more, but if not then you'll be surprised by what you can get away with wattage-wise, and 100W should be fine.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
i've managed a gig with a 30w amp but it was a painful experience though.

Back on topic

100 is enough if your guitarist has an amp that's rated in the 30-45w range.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
i've managed a gig with a 30w amp but it was a painful experience though.

Back on topic

100 is enough if your guitarist has an amp that's rated in the 30-45w range.

General rule of thumb

For a 30 Watt Guitar amp you need 10 times the wattage for the same volume from a bass amp

So 30 Watt Guitar Amp = 300 Watt Bass Amp

100 Watt = 1000 Watt Etc

300 Watt is not always needed, but it's real useful to have the head room
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
General rule of thumb

For a 30 Watt Guitar amp you need 10 times the wattage for the same volume from a bass amp

So 30 Watt Guitar Amp = 300 Watt Bass Amp

100 Watt = 1000 Watt Etc

300 Watt is not always needed, but it's real useful to have the head room

I know that but i was trying to be on the safe side of things.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
100 watts is perfectly fine, You might have to push it a bit at times but it will work. I dont particularity like the amp your going for but otherwise ya grand get it.
Have you been to Xmusic. Is it anygood.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
100 watts is perfectly fine, You might have to push it a bit at times but it will work. I dont particularity like the amp your going for but otherwise ya grand get it.
Have you been to Xmusic. Is it anygood.

Yeah I kinda sounded a bit sterile with the bass I tried it with (an active Cort) I haven't found a better deal though, but I haven't looked properly. What specifically don't you like about it?

Yeah haven't been to X Music yet. They seem to have a good range of stuff though... Better prices than rip-off Waltons as well.
Well, so far ive played a crap one and an ok-ish one. The first one just farted out all the time, and wasnt loud for what it was and had to much natural distortion.
The second did the job, loud but still not my favourite sound.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^ cant get acoustic over hear. And if you want ill sell you my rig for 500.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
In my opinion 100 watts isn't enough for a band situation and definitely not enough for a gig situation. I recommend going up to the 250-300 watts range. You're going to find that the amps get much better in quality in this range as well (typically, not always). You're going to have to pay for it though.
if you all practice bunched together, 50 will do.

but then you're hitting heads and all that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
To be perfectly honest, 100 watts is about the dumbest size amp you can get. For the bedroom it's overkill, and in a band situation it's far too quiet. Your better off saving up a bit more, and making an upgrade that will last you a long time. Especially if you start gigging 100-watts is probably going to leave you yearning for more.
I gave 300 watts with 1x15 and 2x10 and i follow a full band...could be better but it's just right, not for gigging but for jamming sure!
it all depends on what you're doing. if you're just jamming a few acoustics and a moderate drummer.. should be fine. if you're drumming with a band thats got 100 watt half stacks on both ends and a triggered drumset coming out of a PA.. you'll be pushing your 400 watt halfstack pretty friggin close to 10.

(personal experience)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
^Most 100 watts are easily as big as any standard halfstack amp. I know my 300 watts Markbas is actually smaller than my 100 watt Rumble. There's no real difference in size fro more wattage. Unless you're starting to talk more speakers.
^ its the cab that gets you. My friends Ampeg SVT-VR easily fits in any one of our cars, its heavy as hell, but I could drive with it on my lap if I had to. The 8x10 on the other hand . . .

but you would honestly be better off saving up for a bit more then a 100 watt amp. I've gigged with 100 watts before and even when I was pushing the volume as high as I could, I got complaints that no one could hear me. Even practicing with that would be hard, especially if your guitarist likes big loud Mesa's like mine does
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Captain Insano
To be perfectly honest, 100 watts is about the dumbest size amp you can get. For the bedroom it's overkill, and in a band situation it's far too quiet. Your better off saving up a bit more, and making an upgrade that will last you a long time. Especially if you start gigging 100-watts is probably going to leave you yearning for more.

This is a good point. 100W is plenty for a practice but will struggle at a gig so in another yer you will be looking to move up again, spending a little more now will be cheaper in the long run if you can stretch a little further.

Loudness isn't measured in watts though and 100W through an efficient speaker could easily be louder than 200W through something less capable.

Try this
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html
That amp allows for an extension cab, so with a low wattage 15" cab underneath you should be ok for a while.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
At my old drummer's house, where we used to practise, he had amps from his other band, so we used there's instead of carting around all of our own stuff.
& I used to use some guy's 30 watt combo for band practise, & it was just loud enough, but I think another 20 would've been much better! & our guitarists used 100 watt half stacks, & our drummer was really loud, & that 30 watt was acceptable, but now I have a 100 watt Hartke & it's more than okay for practising!
Quote by _-Joey-_
At my old drummer's house, where we used to practise, he had amps from his other band, so we used there's instead of carting around all of our own stuff.
& I used to use some guy's 30 watt combo for band practise, & it was just loud enough, but I think another 20 would've been much better! & our guitarists used 100 watt half stacks, & our drummer was really loud, & that 30 watt was acceptable, but now I have a 100 watt Hartke & it's more than okay for practising!
Adding 20 watts will offer very little to your 30 watt oputput.
A 60 watt amp will only produce 10% more accoustic power than a 30 watt amp.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John is right, doubling the amplifier power only gives you an extra 3dB of sound. A heavy drummer will produce about 100dB average sound levels and if you want to produce these levels cleanly you need to be able to reproduce peaks of 120dB. A sensitive speaker (100-102 dB/W) will give you this at 100W but an average one (96dB/W) won't. Addin mids and reducing the bass will make you more audible and lighten the load on the amp if you are struggling.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...ng_it_loud.html for a more detailed explanation
Quote by stratd00d
The bassist in my band plays a 100W and I've never had any trouble hearing him.
Although, for that money, I'd recommend an Acoustic B100.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900
The Ashdown is an alright amp as well. I'd just take the Acoustic into consideration. I've heard some rumors of bad quality control at Ashdown.

these amps are amazing
i play the same bass that ts has and it sounds beautiful through my b200
Dick+strings= owww
I hear alot about the wattage debate and my views never fit.Our drummer is VERY loud.He hits so hard that he snaps his 2b sticks (and for those who don't know what that means,hes practically got tree trunks shaped into drumsticks in his hands) every month or two.My guitarist uses a 100W frontman 2x12,and I use a 100w yamaha through a lorantz 4x10.I have never used it past 5 and our entire band has hearing damage from playing WAY too loud.I cannot imagine how loud 300 watt bass amp would be through a 4x10.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I hear alot about the wattage debate and my views never fit.Our drummer is VERY loud.He hits so hard that he snaps his 2b sticks (and for those who don't know what that means,hes practically got tree trunks shaped into drumsticks in his hands) every month or two.My guitarist uses a 100W frontman 2x12,and I use a 100w yamaha through a lorantz 4x10.I have never used it past 5 and our entire band has hearing damage from playing WAY too loud.I cannot imagine how loud 300 watt bass amp would be through a 4x10.

This is a great example of what I have been saying. I helped a guy on the forums design a 4x10 Lorantz speaker. For those who don't know them they are an Aussie speaker with a decent magnet and hence good sensitivity of 96dB/W built into a 4x10 they will gain efficiency and reach 102dB/W. This extra 6dB over a 'standard' speaker is important, every 3dB is exactly the same as doubling your amplifier power so 100W through a Lorantz is like 400W through an 'ordinary' speaker. If you buy a budget speaker like Behringer then the sensitivity may be well below 96dB/W and may be the same as halving your amp power.

It makes no sense specifying an amplifier power without knowing the sensitivity of the speakers and you need to get to grips with decibels if you ever want to understand this.
You might get away with 100w if your lucky

Xmusic is great btw, the staff are nice and the prices are sometimes lower than Thomann
I dont know what to put in here!
it just depends on how loud they are they can easily drown you out with half the wattage and a very agressive drummer can drown out a bassist all by himself if he only has 100w a 15" speaker does help some

but if thats all you can afford then i guess thats the best you can do eh? a 15" will help you hear yourself anyways even if nobody else can hear you
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E