I own a Les Paul style guitar made by Martin (yes, the acoustic company Martin) and I've had a Zakk Wylde EMG set in it for awhile now. I thought EMG's were cool but than I discovered the Dimarzio X2N and the distinct characteristic capability of a passive opposed to an active and now wish to switch out. I kind of want to have different kinds of pickups in each guitar though, so I need some advice. I play Death metal, Black metal, Thrash metal, Doom metal, Progressive metal, and some Jazz and dick around with other genre's but mainly metal. I considered switching out the EMG's for a pair of Blackout's but after seeing how much better a passive can sound than an active I'm rather skeptical, even if the blackout's are claimed to have passive qualities, however I'll be willing to hear people out on that one.

I want both a bridge and neck suggestion.

If it helps any, this guitar would more than likely be used more for like Doom metal, Black metal, Prog post metal shit like Isis, Mastodon and Neurosis.
I dont know about Isis or Neurosis, but for Mastodon Bill Kelliher uses a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge on all of his guitars. He also has an Explorer with EMGs. Brent Hinds uses stock pickups in all of his guitars.

What amp are you using and what other gear do you have?
The gear is going to have to be kind of negligable at this point but...

Crate GT3500H Shockwave with 2 Crate cabs with Celestions with a Boss GT6 FX Processor emulating a 5150. (The 3500 Shockwave head is one of the worst sounding hunks of shit I've ever played)
Honestly, with your current rig, a pickup swap is going to have a very, very minimal effect on your tone.
Warpigs?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I guess the Crate GT3500 is known for sucking huh? lol

Considering the rig I want to end up with, it'll be awhile before I can do anything in that way and the pickup switches I've done HAVE made a difference, enough for me for now anyway.

I'd like suggestions either way even if I don't do it now.
Quote by Themadisraeli
I guess the Crate GT3500 is known for sucking huh? lol

Considering the rig I want to end up with, it'll be awhile before I can do anything in that way and the pickup switches I've done HAVE made a difference, enough for me for now anyway.

I'd like suggestions either way even if I don't do it now.

No one said that it won't make any difference at all - it just won't make enough of a difference to justify paying for new pickups, imo.

We really can't suggest anything to you right now. A pickup that sounds good through one amp may sound like crap through another, depending on the tonal characteristics of the amp and the tonal characteristics of the pickup. You're just gonna have to stick it out and upgrade your amp if you're unhappy with your current tone. You may even find that you like your current pickups through a better amp, too.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
No one said that it won't make any difference at all - it just won't make enough of a difference to justify paying for new pickups, imo.

We really can't suggest anything to you right now. A pickup that sounds good through one amp may sound like crap through another, depending on the tonal characteristics of the amp and the tonal characteristics of the pickup. You're just gonna have to stick it out and upgrade your amp if you're unhappy with your current tone. You may even find that you like your current pickups through a better amp, too.

+1

However... if you want a suggestion....

Try...

Neck: Norton
Bridge: Breed maybe

Quite a wide range of styles to cater to
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.