Sorry its half a day early, but I Doubt ill get to a computer tomorrow.

http://8tracks.com/annihislater/best-of-british

Eight tracks of the best UK Metal bands, who I feel deserve to be bigger than they are.

(I just did it in alphabetical order)
I apologise for the descriptions not being the best.

Annwn - Broken Sword.
Welsh Celtic Folk metal.
One thing to remember is the drums are programmed, and its all home recorded by singer/guitarist Aled (or Owain ap Arawn) (who was on two folkerth albums.)
In my opinion one of the best bands around at the moment. I picked this song because its good, and probably their best known as its lyrics appear on the back of currently their only t-shirt.
For those who do not speak Welsh, Annwn is pronounced An-noon, and is the name of the Otherworld in Welsh mythology.

Cnoc An Tursa - The Lion of Scotland.
Slightly Folky Black Metal from Scotland.
One of if not the best UK black metal band in my opinion.
their myspace says: “Intense, symphonic ballads combined with the tales of a much neglected art form, old Scottish poems, creates a totally unrivaled sound of heavy Scottish metal, with ravenous, melodic undertones, and ancient, rhythmical lyrics”
Sometimes the name appears as Cnonc an Tursa sometimes as Cnocantursa. But according to the band it doesn’t matter, is some times as one word as its how it appears in the logo.
Cnoc An Tursa means Hill of Sorrow.

Oakenshield - Valhalla.
FOlk/Viking Metal from England.
One man band featuring Ben Corkhill. Quite a big(ish) name in the UK folk Metal scene, some of you may recognise oakenshield from a terrorizer cover cd from a year or so ago. Some great Tracks. Drums are Programmed again.

Old Corpse Road - The Oakmen of Naddle Forest.
Black Metal from England.
It was by Chance I got into these when they were added to the bill for this years gathering of the Clans as a replacement for a band whose equipment was nicked about a week or two before.
I was really impressed. I think most of the band members contribute vocals at some point. Some have compared them to Cradle of Filth, but personally I cant see it.

Ravenage - Three Hundred Ships, Ten Thousand Men
"Epic Heathen Metal" from England.
Taken from the Myspace: The lyricism, expertise and knowledge of history has given us the ideology of telling tales of battle, repent and discussing the divine delights of mythology. Inspired by books and events, Ravenage bring you Epic Heathen Metal."
I also saw these at Gathering of the Clans, and they were awesome live.

Windrider - Let Death Be our Pride.
Epic Viking Metal from England.
Elliot 'Windrider' Vernon (keyboards for Ravenage) is the sole member of this band. (apart from live performances). And oh my what a band. This is seriously one of the best bands ever to come out of the UK in my opinion. Really Good songs, great Arrangements. and he has one hell of a voice. I cant praise him enough.
Live drums played by Guitar_Dan_666 of this forum.
Interestingly if you go on youtube and search for let death be our pride, the live video from gathering ot the clans, he dedicates this song to me, which made me reit happy.
From: Muspelhiem EP (Available free from the myspace page)

Winterfylleth - Mam Tor (The Shivering Mountain)
Slightly Folky Black Metal from England.
Really good band, with great songs. They did have some controversy over people thinking they were NSBM, but they deny the claim. They have lots of songs about english heritage and pride. I think there a cracking band with some really good songs. Well worth a listen.

Wodensthrone - Leodum On Lande
Slightly more Epic folky black metal from England.
Admittedly this isn’t the track I wanted. I wanted black moss, but the file was too big, so I settled for this instead. so if you can find it, give black moss a listen. Again similar to Winterfylleth in that they have lyrics about english heritage and pride and history and stuff. very good band. Loss is a contender for album of the year in my opinion.

Enjoy

NOV 13 AnnihiSlateR
NOV 20 Scout1011
NOV 27 vanshaya
DEC 04 MoogleRancha
DEC 11 eazy-c
DEC 18 woodenbandman
Christmas Day Special Cianyx
New Years Day Special Psychopathology
JAN 8 piratemetalhead
JAN 15 \Powerslave/
JAN 22 Scourge441
JAN 29 Lappo
FEB 5 CG Man
FEB 12 VampireGoldfish
FEB 19 SeveredSurvival
FEB 26 andyscoot
MAR 05 AnnihiSlateR
MAR 12 Guitar_Dan_666
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Nov 16, 2009,
Way to steal two of my possible bands
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Awesome! You posted about most of these guys before in the black metal thread.

Will listen to in the morn.
Philosophy > Life
Will give my usual critique whenever I can, busy this week.

EDIT: Annwn, so far so cool. Enjoy the acoustic intro, I figured you as a man with these sorts of tastes. Enjoyed the vocals, especially when there was those black metal vox popped up..Was expecting it to be more of a viking feel or folky feel, but the vox made it a lot better.

Cnocustra, the vocals were a little iffy at points...but the riffs, drumming, everything else was absolutely superb. Again, that massive folky feel, is just awesome. Something different than what I normally listen to.

Oakenshield, killer vocals..I enjoyed the song thoroughly, again...I rarely listen to bands like this, so this is a nice break.

Old Corpse Road, nice blend of harsh and clean vocals, along with that terrible riff in the background..Terrible meaning evil, not bad. The harsh vocals were really well palced in the song, and it seemed to mix well very well with the music. The gutterals just came in, nothing short of awesome.

Ravenage, this one an Old Corpse Road are my favourites. Easily. Nice mix of harsh/gutterals, with some pretty droning riffs, war like riffs. As the song went on, it got bit faster paced, and the speech part threw me off a little...but, it was still pretty good.

Windrider was a little too, saddening...but sounded happy anyways. Not a huge fan of the chanting gutterals, but the gutterals alone had a really great feel to them. The whole song had a good feeling, it was ok.

Winterfylleth, awesome awesome awesome. Those riffs at the beginning were purely gr1m, for a lack of a better term...The vocals were pretty good, a distinctive black metal outlook on this song, even with the chanting again...But, the chanting or praising, whatever you want to call it, was ok for this song.

Last song, but i've been fooled before...

...Wodensthrone, a great ending. An epic atmosphere...in the traditional sense, vocals made it for me. Good feel, evil, but calming...Enjoyed.

The whole list was killer, great job!
Last edited by severed-metal at Nov 14, 2009,
I know I said I wouldn't be on today, but im up much earlier than I though.

Quote by eazy-c
Way to steal two of my possible bands

sorry. which two?

Quote by andyscoot
Why is darkest era on your 8 track but not on your list?

It Shouldnt be.

they used to be, but I swapped them for Ravenage last night.
It did the same thing with me, it remembered the playlist from last time I listened to it, try refreshing the page once you open it. It worked for me.
No Anaal?

I am dissapoint
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What are the criteria for these things?

I'd kinda like to do one, but i'm unsure of what exactly is required for them.
Quote by andyscoot
What are the criteria for these things?

I'd kinda like to do one, but i'm unsure of what exactly is required for them.

8 songs...
Philosophy > Life
Quote by MoogleRancha
8 songs...

Is there not a purpose to it? Like introducing people to new bands that not many people know about.
Quote by andyscoot
Is there not a purpose to it? Like introducing people to new bands that not many people know about.

Well, it's up to the maker.

If you want to introduce new bands, so be it.

If you want to brag about your metal scene, so be it.

If you want to show off your musical taste, so be it.

If you want to show new stuff you've been diggin', so be it.

Bottom line: it's up to you.
Philosophy > Life
Makes sense now

I think i want to do one. One question though. Does it have to be all metal songs? I know it sounds silly with it being "Metal Radio" but theres a lot of good non-Metal that i think people should hear
Seems like a great list AnnihiSlateR, I'm listening and I'm liking what I'm hearing

Quote by andyscoot
Makes sense now

I think i want to do one. One question though. Does it have to be all metal songs? I know it sounds silly with it being "Metal Radio" but theres a lot of good non-Metal that i think people should hear

No, only the metulz
In all seriousness, it's fine if you slip in some non metal as long as most of the songs are metal.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Ive Added SeveredSurvival and andyscoot to the list.
And given my self another slot. (I hope no one minds, given its like nearly 4 months off)

@ severed-metal, Glad you Enjoyed it. especially considering you say you don't normally listen to this kind of thing.

@ ChemicalFire, Im not a huge fan of them to be honest. and even if they were, they aren't really in keeping with the sort of style of the rest of the bands.

And finally @ Guitar_Kingdom, Glad your enjoyingit.
Excellent, I liked the choices.

EDIT: If we're getting slots, it'd be cool to do one sometime.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Last edited by Guitar_Dan_666 at Nov 15, 2009,
No Forefather?

Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone i already knew but brilliant bands, Loss and Ghost of Heritage are some of my favourite albums from recent years.

Annwn and Windrider are sounding very good, must check them out further.
Added Guitar_Dan_666.

and to logboy.

There were many great British bands that unfortunately didn't get on, such as Darkest Era (who were on the playlist, until I got hold of the Ravenage EP), Skaldic Curse, Guthrum, Iceni and a few others.
But I did consider Forefather, but I thought they were already quite well known, and that other bands would benefit from the attention more than Forefather would.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Added Guitar_Dan_666.

and to logboy.

There were many great British bands that unfortunately didn't get on, such as Darkest Era (who were on the playlist, until I got hold of the Ravenage EP), Skaldic Curse, Guthrum, Iceni and a few others.
But I did consider Forefather, but I thought they were already quite well known, and that other bands would benefit from the attention more than Forefather would.

Fair point, best to stick with the unknown stuff than something most people into the bands would already know
Quote by logboy
Fair point, best to stick with the unknown stuff than something most people into the bands would already know

Exactly. More variety, and good bands getting exposure.
it'd be a hard list to macke but i reckon someone should make a best of Australian metal radio although aust. doesnt have too much to offer.
Quote by crebbechi
it'd be a hard list to macke but i reckon someone should make a best of Australian metal radio although aust. doesnt have too much to offer.

I suppose if someone knew a certain scene quite well, and was able to get hold of recordings, it wouldn't be that hard.
If you search around enough, im sure will be quite a few bands under the radar.
If you read through the description, I probably wouldn't have gotten into one or two of the bands if I hadnt been to Gigs were they were playing. And then they had Demo's/Promo's, which gave me something to listen to, and as a result remember them, rather than 'oh yeah, that band that played that gig that time'.

My playlist is the result of like 6 months of finding bands, and then finding bands that maybe a member of the previous band has been in. Talking to people in the bands about it, and going to festivals like Gathering of the Clans, and Gigs like Blacker than Night. (Actually I think every band on the list played either one of the two gigs I just mentioned).

So if you are passionate about it, and are willing to put the time in. I think it would be quite easy, and rewarding.