Hello all,

I just finished building a Fender Tweed Deluxe chassis, style 5E3. However, I'm not completely sure about my power cord wiring.

This is a drawing of exactly how I wired it:

(Invalid img)

and here's the layout to the amp:

Help me please; it's the last part of my amp to do.
Attachments:
power.jpg
I'm confused about your "Standby Switch"

It looks like you wired it like the ground lift switch on the old layout.

Here's a schematic drawing of how a standby switch should be done frow www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/standby.html

EDIT: Your amp uses a vacuum tube rectifier, right? So, instead of the switch going before the diodes, it'd go before the anode of your tube.
Last edited by end_citizen at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by end_citizen
I'm confused about your "Standby Switch"

It looks like you wired it like the ground lift switch on the old layout.

Here's a schematic drawing of how a standby switch should be done frow www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/standby.html

EDIT: Your amp uses a vacuum tube rectifier, right? So, instead of the switch going before the diodes, it'd go before the anode of your tube.

I'm sorry, I'm now a bit confused.

I don't fully understand the schematic. Is there a layout or picture of how it should be done?

And could you further explain the edit post you have?
You don't need a standby switch really.

Connect the white to the fuse.

Connect the black to the AC switch.

Connect the green to its own ground point
In your layout, there is a switch labeled "Ground Switch." This is NOT a standby switch. There is not a standby switch in that layout anywhere.

It is not necessary to have one, but you probably want one, so here's what you do:

You'll need a DPDT switch.

There are two red wires coming out of your transformer that should be attached to Pins 4 and 6 of the 5Y3 rectifier.

Run these two wires to two poles of a DPDT switch. Then run two wires from the common (middle) poles of the switch back to Pins 4 & 6. This keeps high voltage from entering the circuit until you flip the Standby Switch.

EDIT: Darn, beat to the "No need for a standby switch" conclusion.
i'm sorry, I did mean ground switch, but for some reason unknown, i said standby.

Did I wire it right though? Does the Green Wire connect to the SPDT switch at all? still a little confused on how to wire this.

EDIT: I just found this diagram:

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/spaw/images/lib1/fender3prong.jpg

If this can be confirmed, then I should be good to go.
Last edited by tbc4491 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by end_citizen
The ground switch is there if you're not using a grounded plug. You SHOULD be using a grounded plug. Ignore the ground switch.

Ok then. thank you very much.
Yeah, if you look at that diagram you posted, you'll notice that the switch isn't connected to anything.

Also, "Permission refused to copy this image and use on other websites." I'm not sure, but a mod might get onto you about that. You should probably just link to the website that you found it from.
Quote by end_citizen
Yeah, if you look at that diagram you posted, you'll notice that the switch isn't connected to anything.

Also, "Permission refused to copy this image and use on other websites." I'm not sure, but a mod might get onto you about that. You should probably just link to the website that you found it from.

thank you,

about the Permission thing, i didn't see that when I posted it here. I was so focused on the design that I accidentally overlooked it. To the moderators, I must apologize in advance as I wasn't paying attention to that. I was just trying to find a solution to this. Please charge it to a determined, but unaware head, and not to the heart.