For one I am new to this whole forum thing, just signed up, and Hello.
I am seventeen and have been playing the bass for about almost 6 months now. I started with an Epiphone T-Bird 4, and an Acoustic B20 amp. However, about a week after I got it, I thing I did something to the amp by turning it up too loud, which wasn't very loud at all. Now, I am looking for a new amp and I want to get the best amp out there with out paying a fortune. Something with a high volume level would be REALLY NICE. I have looked into Ampeg amps, but I haven't really looked into anything else because I don't know what other brands are good. I mainly plan on playing rock, metal, Praise and Worship, jazz(in my high school jazz band, which hasn't started yet). I also want something, probably because i am going to pay a lot anyway, that will last a long time. Also I am looking into replacing the pickups in my T-Bird, help on those would be nice too.

I will appreciate any help!!!
Last edited by tbirdblue42 at Nov 12, 2009,
Thunderbirds have unusual pickups, and not many aftermarket pickups can fit in there.

Bartolini makes pickups specifically designed for the Thunderbird, and I've heard that some EMGS can fit in the slot as well. Past that, you'd best be prepared to do some routing.

[Fair warning: Thunderbird basses are hated around here. Don't get offended if somebody starts insulting them.]

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Thanks for advice! and if you don't mind me asking... Why are thunderbirds hated around here?
Quote by tbirdblue42
Thanks for advice! and if you don't mind me asking... Why are thunderbirds hated around here?

Primarily for bad ergonomics and a lack of fret access, secondarily for a limited range of sounds, and the epiphones thirdly for shoddy construction and design--people talk about the bridges popping off, I haven't seen that, but I feel like the bridge on ones I've played makes horrible contact with the bass and really kills any sustain. You can search bar it if you want to know more, there are plenty of threads on it including a "The ONLY thunderbird thread."

My advice: you don't want low-end ampeg gear; their high end stuff is what everyone loves, their low end stuff is a lot worse than a lot of other low end stuff, so cross that off your list. Despite your bad experience, acoustic gets really good reviews here for cheap gear, I think they sound nice, but don't own one so can't comment on reliability. Folks also recommend ashdown a lot, which I've never played. I'd also say stay away from the budget line GK stuff. They also make plenty of good gear, but not in the low budget range.

Peaveys don't always sound the best, but they are build like a shit brick house and you can find some pretty loud ones for cheap, you could try different ones until you find one you like. You can get used peavey stuff for really cheap.

Carvin makes some good quality, very high power combos for cheap, and you can pick up used carvin half stacks on craigslist for around $300 all the time.

Fun tip* buying used is awesome, especially when you're buying budget or intermediate gear that people are often in a hurry to sell so that they can pay off their new fancier rig.
he already bought it. little point in insulting the thing. just make the poor man get all whiny and tell all his friends we're assholes.

we are, but I think we can do better than that here.

a few custom shops will do one, Barts are available and cheaper than many other options. some more expensive options are really, really expensive, but sound really good. if you own and can use a router, rigging it to accept a middle position single coil is the best mod you can ever do to a t-bird, turning it from a rather one sided instrument to a jack of all trades.

EDIT: I didn't mean to be so harsh, and I thought I edited that out, after I read it it looked different than I meant.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Nov 12, 2009,
Thanks for the advice... From what I've been hearing from various people I'm going to stick with Ampeg, and go for the high end stuff
Ok... For one, I'm not going to get offended by anything you say about my bass, because I have only been playing for just under 6 months, there is alot i still have to learn about playing and quality equipment options; and I think its works pretty well for a beginners bass and nothing can change my mind. And two, I will however get offended by insults to my maturity and ability to take criticism, I am 17 not 7.... Oh and thanks for the advice....
I'm very sorry, I didn't mean that rudely and was trying to edit it out.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by tbirdblue42
It's Ok

Amps are not only the thing to consider; remember that the speakers have to be up to reproducing what the amps kicks out.
An average Bass can sound quite decent through a decent rig.
A good upmarket Bass will sound almost as bad as a cheap Bass through a cheap amp/speaker.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn