As I understand it, your guitar's tone knob will adjust as Treble * (10-x)/10 where X is your treble knob lvl. I don't know how the amp's treble knob works, but my guess is as the knob is raised to say 10, the amount of treble picked up increases. If I'm wrong plz correct me, these are loose guesses. My question is how are these two related? They both affect the "amount" of treble you "hear". If I turn the Tone Knob down to 5 and the amp treb knob stays at 10 will this be similar to the tone knob at 10 and amp treb down to 5? If we continue with the equations it would be

Treble = ( 10 - Guitar Tone Knob #)_____( Amp Tone Knob #)____Full Treble Potential
________----------------------------------___X___-------------------------___X___
_________________10_____________________10

There is a reason behind all this. I'm basically trying to figure out if the Tone Knob on my guitar is mainly for adjusting Treble saturation on the fly, ie: on stage. This would also mean as I'm adjusting my amp and guitar to get a desired tone, I should put all my guitar tone knobs at 5 and then adjust the amp so that as I'm playing and need to mess with the treble I can get more/less. I suppose if you're playing rythym at a lower treb you set it up from lower tone knob settings, etc. Anyway, if anyone knows how the Guitar Tone Knob and Amp Treb Knob are related or even how they work individually to affect Treb I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks

-Sry about the weird formating, I couldn't get it to look correctly. The underscores don't mean anything. The dashes are upper/lower fraction seperators and the X's are multiplications.
you can use the code tags to get a mono-spaced font that will let you use multiple spaces in a row. that might help your little sketch.

as for how they work, well the guitar knob is a simple low pass filter. a LPF passes all frequencies below a cutoff point. with the knob at 10 the cutoff is supposedly higher than human hearing, so you hear everything the guitar produces. not exactly true, but close enough that you get the point. turn the knob down and you lower that threshold. the higher frequencies arent completly just cut out, but they are lowered and taper to "off" so to speak as they get higher. so turning the tone knob down cuts out more and more of the high frequency spectrum.

the treble knob is similar, but is more of a band pass filter. a BPF passes all frequencies in a band of the spectrum, then tapers off to infinity on either side. turn the BPF down and you lower the level of the frequencies in that spectrum. your TMB knobs are like three BPFs that overlap. not really, but that should help you get the idea. so you turn one down and it cuts the level of the frequencies in its band, but it also has some effect on the other bands because of the overlap. however the treble knob on your amp goes a lot higher than you hear, beacause those overtones are still important even if you cant really hear them.

so basicly, they do not do the same thing. set your amp where you like, then maybe turn the treble up a bit to the max you want it. you can then use your tone knob to roll off a bit of treble for your rhythm sections or whatever.