I'm having trouble getting good sound quality out of this combination. The mic doesnt pick up sound unless the gain knob on the toneport is set above 9!? This causes alot of break up, and i cant really let my amps volume rise above 2. Any tips or ideas?

Cheers, recording amateur
Yep that's what will happen. Why can't you turn up your amp?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by zapparage
Yep that's what will happen. Why can't you turn up your amp?

If i turn up my amp the break up becomes more harsh, anywhere above volume 2 is unbearable really. I'm not sure why i get sound loss when i turn the gain on the preamp below 9?
HAve you tried turning the preamp gain down and then cranking the amp? Below 9 is the signal nonexistent or just really low? Clips would help everyone hear whats happening.
Quote by Hammy135
If i turn up my amp the break up becomes more harsh, anywhere above volume 2 is unbearable really. I'm not sure why i get sound loss when i turn the gain on the preamp below 9?

Because it's probably a shitty, cheap preamp. I have a UX1 and 57 and it's the same deal. What amp is it, a VJ?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by robertito696
HAve you tried turning the preamp gain down and then cranking the amp? Below 9 is the signal nonexistent or just really low? Clips would help everyone hear whats happening.

Its pretty late so I'll have a mess around with it tomorrow and post some clips.

Thanks for the help
All that happens is that it adds what sounds like an overdrive to the sound. It's probably because of the preamps, and because the 57 is low input. You'll probably have to get a better interface or different mic.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by CatharsisStudio
even though the pre-amp is shitty it wouldn't be that bad

Is the preamp really that bad. I've heard some crystal clear recordings from someone with it and the mxl 990/991 combo. How do you mic your amps, just the one sm57?
Quote by zapparage
All that happens is that it adds what sounds like an overdrive to the sound. It's probably because of the preamps, and because the 57 is low input. You'll probably have to get a better interface or different mic.

yep, some nasty overdrive
Quote by zapparage
Because it's probably a shitty, cheap preamp. I have a UX1 and 57 and it's the same deal. What amp is it, a VJ?

Fender champ xd
I bet its just a bad connection somewhere, I get it sometimes with my pedals, I can have it pluged in, but the wont be much sound comeing out, so I just twist the cables till it comes back.

But I would put your preamp volume at 5, keep your amp loud enough so its confortable playing volume to you and wont clip the mic, and boost the signel in your mixing software, its what I do when my signel is too weak.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
i use 2 57s in the fredman position most of the time

You get some good quality
Wasnt a bump!? Thanks for the help all. Must have been complaining about nothing
Strange. I use the same setup (with an SM58 too) and have never had anything like what you're describing.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by Hammy135
Is the preamp really that bad. I've heard some crystal clear recordings from someone with it and the mxl 990/991 combo. How do you mic your amps, just the one sm57?
I run my mic into a low cost Behringer mixer then into my computer's sound card. Works great.
Your amp isn't loud enough, most likely. Mics like the SM57 are meant to be able to withstand very loud volumes (a cranked tube amp for example, but are also used for vocals sometimes)

I'd say turn down your preamp vol and turn up your amp.

Now if you think your amp is plenty loud enough, I don't know. I have a crappy $50 radioshack mic (seems like a SM58 knockoff), and I plug it into my sound card. My amp has to be in my closet with the door closed I have to crank it pretty loud for it to get a nice loud register on my DAW. And when I can't crank it, I go to my volume setting and click "1 mic boost +20 db", which I guess would be the same as cranking your preamp volume.
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 13, 2009,