I know nothing about cabs. To my ears, I can never tell a difference between one 4x12 and another. So long as the speaker size and the number of speakers are the same, they all sound the same to me.

But apparently I'm wrong and there are ones to avoid and all sorts, so I ask ye knowers of cab knowledge (and stuff) what's good/bad in the relm of 2x12's in the £250 or less range. I'm just playing straight ahead rock (think Foo Fighters, 90's Bon Jovi, earlier Green Day, Paramore - that kind of tone. Nothing metal, nothing jazzy, nothing that bluesy). Single speakers I find tend to sound a little muffled and a 4x12 would be overkill for me, the various 2x12s I've used in the past have seemed about right. I tend to not like bass (i.e. I always have bass controls turned to 3 or less) so I have no need or desire for a particularly bass-thick cab. My budget is, as I said, £250 max (and that really is the maximum I can go to since I'm still paying off some other things. So we're really talking lower end here).

For reference, the only cabs in stores here are Marshall MG cabs (which I've yet to touch but can't imagine are any good), a Marshall MC212 (which seems pretty good as far as I can tell), a Peavey 4x12 of I don't know what model (which is total overkill for me but otherwise sounds okay) and a Fender Band Master (sounds the same as the Marshall MC212 to me but costs more for I don't know what reason). Those are literally the only cabs that are in stores here other than a huge Orange 4x12 that costs £800 and I'm not going anywhere near. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Marshall MC212 just because it sounds alright and it's cheap - if there are other things I should look at instead, that's what I want to know.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Order a Framus 212 from Thomann.de or their Harley Benton G212 Vintage. Also consider the Orange cab.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well given the Orange is over three times my budget and two times larger than I have the space for, not much point me considering it!

I'll check out the other two though.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Cheap 2x12 cab for basic standard rock tones is the order of the day.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
First off 2x12s tend to be higher quality than 4x12s for some reason, at least that I've seen. You'll have some trouble finding a truly 'low end' 2x12 like you could a 4x12. I don't know how your budget converts to dollars but I'm guessing its pretty low.

Second, from my experience with cabs a lot of what you pay for in build quality is tight bass that won't flub up when you crank it. So if you really play with the bass at 3, which is astounding to me, then you should worry about speakers more than the cab... Which will save you money.

Maybe buy two speakers and build a cab? A simple open back 2x12 could be great for you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Maybe you should get a 4x10? I think that sounds perfect for you, sadly I don't know much about them, having only played some old Fender at my buddies place.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
ikes

Quote by tubetime86
First off 2x12s tend to be higher quality than 4x12s for some reason, at least that I've seen. You'll have some trouble finding a truly 'low end' 2x12 like you could a 4x12. I don't know how your budget converts to dollars but I'm guessing its pretty low.

Second, from my experience with cabs a lot of what you pay for in build quality is tight bass that won't flub up when you crank it. So if you really play with the bass at 3, which is astounding to me, then you should worry about speakers more than the cab... Which will save you money.

Maybe buy two speakers and build a cab? A simple open back 2x12 could be great for you.

+1

Basically, a big part of what you are paying for are the speakers. That is why you may get a better bang for your buck with a 212.

However, this is relative. The question becomes (if you have a set budget) is are the extra speakers, 'push', worth the potential decrease in quality cab construction/speakers relatively. To me, that is a personal choice.

Personally, I'd rather have a good 212 than a subpar 412 to carry around. That said, availability is also important. There are generally more 412s out there than 212s. God forbid, someone checks their craigslist.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by matt s
Bugera 2x12 doesn't seem to bad. Haven't tried it yet though.

Bugera speakers are kind of eh though. The difference between the Bugera 4x12 at my local shop and the Mesa I own now is quite shocking.

I hear you on the lack of difference between cabs at first thing Flibble, I had it at first. You just sort of hear the difference after awhile. It's kind of like a Sonic Maximizer. Takes you awhile to hear the actual difference.

Mesas have the best cabs around in my opinion. Look for a good used 2x12 Recti cab, which won't alter your sound making you sound more recto-ish. Well, it didn't do it for me anyways. I'm not sure if cabs can alter your tone THAT much.

Speakerwise I think Celestion V30's are the best way to go. Although, a lot of people can say that.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Did you end up getting that Classic 50 head? I remember the thread you made a while back.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by Raijouta
Order a Framus 212 from Thomann.de or their Harley Benton G212 Vintage.

This.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you can build one. You can get the wood for about $35, and then two speakers from warehouse guitar speakers for not a whole lot.... thats what i did.... sounds great. Better than the 2x12 i used to have..
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
there is something about amps/guitars that mr.fibble didn't know? I for one would not have guessed that.

I'll third the framus, good call raj.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by matt s
Bugera 2x12 doesn't seem to bad. Haven't tried it yet though.
you can't honestly say that it's not bad if you haven't tried it.

cabs are one of those things you HAVE to hear in person because otherwise, they all sound the same on paper, when in reality, something like a Mesa 4x12 traditional sounds inherently different from a Marshall 1960 with the same speakers.

I have never heard a Marshall low end cab like an MG or MC that did not sound muddy and incoherent. And yes, I have heard an MC with high end speakers, a 2x12 with Celestion golds while the person who owned it was waiting for a custom 2x12 to be built. It did not sound at all like there was a set of $600 speakers were in there at all and when the new cab came, it was like night and day. Of course that is comparing a $600 cab to a cheap piece of MDF, but the cab definitely matters.

That being said, if you honestly can't hear the difference, then what is the point? Just get whatever you think sounds good. As for the bass thing.. having a cab with good low end response is not necessarily about having MORE bass, but having a more defined bass and a bass that stays clear and coherent without getting flubby and boomy.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 16, 2009,
The Laney GS212IE is a good all-purpose 2x12 cab, and it cost me £190 from Merchant City Music (even cheaper now at 175!): http://www.guitar.co.uk/amplifiers/electric/2744-laney_gs212ie_extension_cabinet

It's solidly built with quality speakers (Celestion Seventy-80), and it's fairly compact and light which was a big selling point for me as I wanted something small and easy to carry.

Also heard good things about the Framus and Harley Benton; I just went for the Laney as it was in the shop so I could pick it up in person rather than have it delivered.

If you're gonna go Marshall, the MC series aren't the best from what I gather. The 1936 cab is decent, but it's quite bulky, kinda halfway between the Laney and a full Marshall 4x12 in terms of height. I think they cost less than £300 new, and they come up second hand on Gumtree, Ebay, etc. quite a lot.
Last edited by gaz514 at Nov 16, 2009,
i'd add my 2cents but we've got completely different cab options here.

personally, i like the idea of an empty, convertible back, cab.

choosing speakers and back opening for that specific amp, really makes me
feel like i'm getting the best out of it.

i say that, but am currently trying to by a rivera 2x12 on my local cl.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for all the suggestions. Bit too much to respond to individually, but I'll certainly be checking them all out.

Quote by stradivari310
Did you end up getting that Classic 50 head? I remember the thread you made a while back.
Nah, they refused to sell it without the Peavey 4x12, and although I adored the head, I'm not going to pay £350 for a 4x12 cab that I literally would not even be able to transport out the shop.
Space is a serious issue for me. I would love a 4x12 or other some such by I literally could not transport such a thing or store it anywhere. Any 4xanything is going to be too big for me. I live in a tiny place a mile and a half out of nowhere (most of which is uphill) and my only method of transport is either walking or very rarely my friend's tiny hatchback.

There are a few heads I'm looking at right now. One's a modded Marshall DSL50 that a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend is flogging quite cheap. I've no idea how it's been modded other than "it's a little brighter than before" and it's up in Scotland (I'm way down south) so it's a bit awkward to try. One is a Peavey Classic 30 - it's alright but I'm not blown away by it, it has to be said, it's missing the brightness of the 50. The one I'm most tempted by at the moment is an Epiphone SoCal 50 head that's sat here dirt cheap. It sounds surprisingly good, much like the Peavey I liked did but a little lower gain which is fine for me given I've got an army of overdrive pedals. It actually reminds me a lot of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo I tried my Gibson through when I bought that (which sounded great), only the Epi's a little clearer (though that could well be because I've tried it through a 2x12 - incidently, the Marshall MC one - whereas the Fender's a single speaker combo). The reverb on it sucks appaulingly but I rarely use amp reverb much anyway. At the moment the Epi is the one I'm leaning towards the most.