Hey, well for christmas I'm thinking of trading in my schecter hellraiser deluxe and will hopefully get about $400 for it, and with that I'm thinking about getting a new guitar.
Now, the hard part is deciding what guitar to get. I plan a mix of classic rock, blues, jazz, punk rock, hard rock, metal, alternative, pretty much a bit of everything. So I need the best guitar that can get all of these tones(I know I'll probably have to get pedals for the heavier music) A couple of guitars I've checked out that look to be good are: PRS SE Custom 24(the $500 one) Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster, and Fender Classic Jaguar Special HH.

So I would like some opinions please. ANd if you have any other guitars to suggest that would be great, Im not too picky about features. I would just like: Not too heavy, and under $1000. Thanks.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Fender Fat Strat is always a good choice for several different music choices

great quality as well
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
The PRS would be a good choice,
or I've got myself an Ibanez ARX320, and it's pretty versatile and has great sound/tone to it.
give it a tryout and see.
You will not notice ANY difference in sound between any of the guitars you listed if you keep playing through a 15w modelling amp. Also if you sell your guitar and buy another one with only that money, you will almost undoubtedly end up with a worse guitar. This is a massive lose-lose situation.

At least consider upgrading amps before getting a new guitar, also don't bother running pedals through it... a good amp will have more than enough drive to cover those genres without pedals. At your budget they're a waste of money.
best for the money

A: MIM fenders, prs se
B: prs, ESP, schecter
C: ibanez, MIA fender, epiphone, jackson, dean
D: gibson

thats just my opinion

i would also advise trying out ebay or craigslist before u trade in a guitar at store.

out of those 3 i would suggest the fender HSS, because of the versatility in the pickups, and then like u said, u can get a pedal for metal.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
the prs se models can be really good or pretty bad, their quality control isnt always consistant. if you can play before you buy it, do so. if you can find a good one, that would work really well for what you want to play.

another option would be to look at some michael kelly guitars. they have some that fit nicely into your range and work well for those styles. i find they make some fantastic guitars, ive never played one that was bad. mines got a few small issues, but most of them are minor cosmetic things. my old room mate's was fantastic as well.
Keep the guitar and get rid of that cheesy sounding Roland Cube any guitar no matter how good will sound like your playing thru an old transistor radio on AM on that amp.

John
Hey man I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you're trading it into a shop, they wont even give you close to $400. I'd say $150 - $200. Better off selling it on craigslist. You can't go wrong with a strat. I think they feel the best as well. But it's all preference.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Quote by johnro6659
Keep the guitar and get rid of that cheesy sounding Roland Cube any guitar no matter how good will sound like your playing thru an old transistor radio on AM on that amp.

John

+1 If it's the sound you're most worried about then you'll be able to pull off those bands with a new amp rather then just changing a guitar for something that plays better.
I'd go for the PRS SE Custom 24. Without thinking twice.

Quote by jof1029
the prs se models can be really good or pretty bad, their quality control isnt always consistant. if you can play before you buy it, do so. if you can find a good one, that would work really well for what you want to play.

I'm a bit surprised with this...
So far, i've never seen a bad PRS SE, and there's a shop nearby that sells almost exclusively PRS and Fenders (other brands only by demand), so they have lots of variety and there are new guitars arriving on a weekly basis...

Is it possible that you unfortunately and coincidentally just had/tried a couple of bad SE's?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by RyanInChains9
Fender Fat Strat is always a good choice for several different music choices

great quality as well

This.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Linkerman
I'd go for the PRS SE Custom 24. Without thinking twice.

I'm a bit surprised with this...
So far, i've never seen a bad PRS SE, and there's a shop nearby that sells almost exclusively PRS and Fenders (other brands only by demand), so they have lots of variety and there are new guitars arriving on a weekly basis...

Is it possible that you unfortunately and coincidentally just had/tried a couple of bad SE's?

it is entirely possible i just tried a couple bad ones. i mean i own an SE and love it and ive played a few in shops that were also great. but since ive also played a few that werent very good, i just figured its safer to say try before you buy. i figure if they are letting those couple bad ones out, there could be more out there and i dont want anyone to end up with a bad guitar.
Quote by jof1029
it is entirely possible i just tried a couple bad ones. i mean i own an SE and love it and ive played a few in shops that were also great. but since ive also played a few that werent very good, i just figured its safer to say try before you buy. i figure if they are letting those couple bad ones out, there could be more out there and i dont want anyone to end up with a bad guitar.

Absolutely.
It's just that i always had the impression that PRS was one of the safest brands to blind-buy (like ordering online, etc), even the SE line...
That's why i asked what i asked.

I'd like to believe that the couple bad ones you found are the only exception!
But i also believe in the Santa Claus...

TS, sorry for the off-topic.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112