Alright so here is the 1 amp and 2 guitars that i have totally narrowed down after quite a bit of surfing around and looking at tons of brands, im not able to demo many things due to how far away i am from music stores so im reserving final judgement for later and after i demo stuff.
Anyways im a beginner but ive decided that im going to get some better gear because im using an S101 brand $150 dollar guitar i got used for $50 and a $70 Ibanez practice amp and im dedicated to playing.
So what ive got down so far for the type of music i want to learn (All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, Sonic Syndicate, In Flames, Pink Floyd lol, and Escape the Fate + tons of others)
so a pretty broad range of sounds, i can listen to pretty much anything within the melodic metal genre's.
Fender Superchamp XD ($300) into an ESP LTD MH-401QM Non Tremolo ($400-$500) which has Active EMG 81 and 85's here is a link to both:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_mhnt.html (first guitar)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075

So for the overall price of around $800 bucks im confident that this will last me more than 5 years for sure, what do you all think? - ive been also looking at Seymore Duncan pickups the JB' and 59' are in the ESP LTD Horizon axe which ive heard are really versatile and hot pickups aswell Thanks!!
Last edited by Jumbug23 at Nov 12, 2009,
the esp guitar is awesome, i have the mh400 with trem (and emg's, its really the same guitar they just added one to the model # lol). I don't think i've found a guitar i've like better yet that wasn't a prestige series ibanez, so your gonna be in the clear on the guitar, this thing will last you well into a professional level of playing. The amp... I honestly don't know, I've never played a fender amp that i've liked, but hey, it can't be worse than a spider III right? I would definately look into it though because it could be a really nice practice amp, but if you don't like it check out the peavy vypyr and the roland cube (bigger ones with the rectifier channel). I am yet to find a cheap practice amp that is better than the cube. good luck to you though

EDIT: BTW, nice taste in music, try listening to some Protest the hero, BTBAM, The Syncope threshold, and Human abstract (first album only). you might like them
Last edited by firebird103 at Nov 12, 2009,
the LTD is kool but i wouldnt go with the Fender for metal IMO
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah i just recently listened to The human abstract - polaris, i got quite a few of there songs on playlist now lol, thanks for the feedback also firebird
and did you mean the Fender amp or a fender guitar Tab?
^both

and dont get a guitar with a trem b/c you're just a beginner AND the bands that you like have different tunings
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yeah the guitar i have now has a trem, and i know that if i were to try drop tuning or something i wouldnt get it back to normal if the trem alignment went out without taking into a shop lol
Last time I check an MH-401 was around $700.

Also, I don't think the Fender would be the best option for the music you're wanting to play.
Quote by Jumbug23
Seymore Duncan pickups or suggestions?

I've got a bud with seymore duncans and he hates them (for metal). Unless you get the active seymore duncans stick with emg's (i honestly prefer the emg's over the active SD's though, just seems to put out a better lead to me).

as far as the trem, you can change tunings without taking it to a shop, its really just a matter of unscrewing a back plate, unscrewing locking nuts, and then adjusting the tremolo screws a bit while tuning. I've gotten to where it takes me about 5 minutes to change tunnings, but yeah i would recommend sticking with the regular bridge.

glad to hear you like Human abstract, their former lead guitarist (A.J. Minette, he only did the nocturne album) is my teacher.
the ESP's Actives are the brutalz for metal, i'd keep them.

The amp most likely won't be very good for metal.... try a peavey vypyr or roland cube.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Ok awesome ill be sure to check out the roland cube , that along with the fender superchamp XD and line 6 / vypers are the most recommended amps i get in the price range im looking at, thanks for the feedback
If you're getting a guitar with active pickups you don't want an SS or modeling amp.

Active pickups have a weak magnet with an preamp that's designed to strongly boost your signal and push already overdriven tubes harder, resulting in more distortion.

When you use actives with an SS amp it causes clipping in the amp's transistor and that is usually an undesired tone.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're getting a guitar with active pickups you don't want an SS or modeling amp.

Active pickups have a weak magnet with an preamp that's designed to strongly boost your signal and push already overdriven tubes harder, resulting in more distortion.

When you use actives with an SS amp it causes clipping in the amp's transistor and that is usually an undesired tone.

this.

the active will really sound good through a high gain tube amp, but for a modeling amp (like the roland Cube, or peveay vypyr) you might want passives for the time being.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I recently bough a second hand MH-400 with trem and the emg's and it sounds great through my roland cube 15x. no annoying noises or such, just a lot of feedback when not playing but that might also be because the volume is full open and i'm sitting like 20cm from it.

btw if you wanan spend 300$ on a new amp try looking into a blackstar HT-5 combo. you might need to push the gain a bit with an OD but i've heard its a great amp for the price and always better than a SS.
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7