So I am planning my first guitar build. Trying to keep this as low budget as possible and I already have most of the stuff. Heres where I stand so far.
-80's MIJ strat body
-Carvin strat style neck 25 1/2" scale
-MIJ Tremolo

I was thinking of getting a preloaded pickguard (sss) to simplify the electronics and was wondering what you think would be a smart choice. I have an Ibanez sz hardtail with two passive Dimarzios that help me get a Satriani/Dreamtheater esque sound. I'm going for a more vintage sound with this one. Styles are classic and prog rock. Also Price is a big concern. I wanna try and stay below 150 for the pickguard. Used is an option.
check out guitar fetish. they have pretty good pickups for really cheap.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
thanks, I did. Seems like a good deal. Cheapest of what i've seen and the reviews are promising
I would like to suggest R-Supersonic pickups. They have a lot more power than your standard single coils with better tone and sustain than most. Check out my website www.keeholemusic.webs.com. Then compare the specs to the DiMarzios and Duncans.
I'll give you a good deal.
My suggestion: mod once, mod right. GFS reviews are always "they're good for the money" which would scare me away on a build that I wanted to do right. The $50 and less wired pickguards I am sure you're seeing aren't even made with GFS pickups, and for the GFS wired pickguards you're going to be spending $135-$160 depending on what you want... if I were you I'd save a few more bucks and surf eBay every couple days and get something you know is going to be worth a half shit.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
I'd go with Iron Gear pickups and just solder them in yourself, or find a cheap tech. You'll be way happier with the end result than if you go with GFS stuff.
Quote by keeholemusic
I would like to suggest R-Supersonic pickups. They have a lot more power than your standard single coils with better tone and sustain than most. Check out my website www.keeholemusic.webs.com. Then compare the specs to the DiMarzios and Duncans.
I'll give you a good deal.

For the record, advertising your own site is a bannable offence. Goodbye.

TS, I've got some GFS pickups, they're good quality. Not just "good quality for the price".
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Be sure to select the hand wired pick guards with the GFS pick ups in them. The wired ones don't have the good GFS pick ups.

Or you can just wire them yourself, which will give you more options and teach you a nice skill
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD