so, long story short, there is no sound. turned the vol. on my amp up, turned all the knobs up, used all 3 of my chords, and nothing. what is up?

EDIT: Check my second post to the answers to your suggestions
Quote by St. Angry
youre right. i just checked the dvd i have agian and it is in D standard. i dont think Metallica has ever done a song in drop D, or drop C for that matter.

^Check his username again
Last edited by WaltzingArmy at Nov 12, 2009,
Check the cable. Can't tell how many times I've gotten dead air because my cable decided to eat shit and die.
Quote by SilverHammer :O
Check the cable. Can't tell how many times I've gotten dead air because my cable decided to eat shit and die.

I already have. I thought it was the cable i had bought only yesterday (one im using) so i tried a short cable i use to connect my wah to the amp, which i was using earlier today. still didnt work.

EDIT: To Shinsen88: Nope. I had that problem a few weeks ago and fixed it, tried it right now, nothing.

2EDIT: To Holysorrow: Nope, its straight to the amp
Quote by St. Angry
youre right. i just checked the dvd i have agian and it is in D standard. i dont think Metallica has ever done a song in drop D, or drop C for that matter.

^Check his username again
Last edited by WaltzingArmy at Nov 12, 2009,
if you running it through an effects processor is the volume pedal pushed down?
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
This happens to me alot. What usually happens is inside the input jack on the guitar, there are two wires that conduct the electricity and send it through your guitar cord to the amp. To fix this, unscrew the input jack, and resodder the wires back to where they were originally (they are usually colored)
If you've never done it, Id recommend going to the guitar store.
try the guitar on a different amp (take it to a store).

try a different guitar on the amp (ditto).

at least then you know where the problem is.

Does the amp light up/make any sound at all?

is there noise if you move the jack about (try it on both connections i.e. at the amp and at the guitar)?

does your wall socket work?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

is there noise if you move the jack about (try it on both connections i.e. at the amp and at the guitar)?

+1 On all this, also what type of pickups does your guitar have? If they require batteries then replace them now and try again.
Is your amp tube or solid state? If it's tube, the tubes (or a fuse) could be blown.
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
Quote by MLilienthal
probably a loose wire from the jack

I'll bet this tbh if its a guitar problem, or a lose wire somewhere along, open up your gutiar have a look inside, not that much can go wrong with passive electronics. Unless you wore out a pot or switch, but even still you should be getting some hum.

When you say you fixed the lose jack problem did you resolder the jack? Or just tighten it? Tightening the jack without taking the jack out and holding it from the the other side is usually what causes the wires to pop off in the first place.
Last edited by beckyjc at Nov 13, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

x2 on all of this.
+1 to what the guys have already suggested. The first thing that comes to my mind, having seen many kids go to Guitar Center and complain "the amp doesn't work!" though, would be, check and see if it's plugged in. Seriously. I've seen it happen too many times to be funny.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.