What are the best combos of Ampeg heads with cabs or stacks....and whats the difference between a cab and a stack?

Please send a response!! Unless you know nothing of what I want to know, which I doubt... Thanks!!
A cab is part of a stack. To make a stack you need a head and a cabinet (or several cabinets depending on what you want to do).

Which ampeg head and cab combo is best is completely subjective. Ampeg is most renowned for their 8*10 cabinets, but that doesn' t mean they haven't made some other good cabs over the years.

Different ampeg heads do different things. I don't know how you can call an SVT 2pro better than an ampeg svt-cl or vice versa, they just do different things.

I'll say any ampeg I've tried that didn't have a tube power section, was pretty lack luster in my ears. I'm not saying an amp needs power tubes to be good, not at all. I just don't like ampeg's current run of solid state designs, not even the svt 3pro or 4pro.
Ok... what about for playing Metal, other subgenres of Rock, Praise and Worship, and Jazz in a HS jazz band
Quote by tbirdblue42
Ok... what about for playing Metal, other subgenres of Rock, Praise and Worship, and Jazz in a HS jazz band

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't want an ampeg stack for your HS jazz band or a praise and worship group. Go get a nice, portable (light) combo that is not an ampeg for that.

I've seen pretty much every style of ampeg tube amp used in pretty much every style of rock. I really think it's all about taste, the genre cross over is pretty huge.
Most recently I have bought a lot of ampeg stuff. I have the svt4pro sitting on top of the 810e cab. I did try the svTCL (b-stock ) but sent it back (too noisey) the fan sounded louder than my bass. It sounds great but I have yet to play with any of this stuff live......The 4pro is quiet, I know its not a true tube but I'll live. Here is a question: what other cabs can be safely connected. I have the 410hlf (4 ohms) which stands on its own alone (connected to the SvT450) could I use this cab with the 810E? Reading up on what I can and can't do, it seems like I can. I know better than mixing an 8ohm cab (410E) with a 4ohm cab. Don't get me wrong I'm not discussing this to brag or flaunt this stuff. I have been proceeding very slowly will get advice from the local samash store...but I'd like to listen to the opinions that is on this site....

thanks .............................
And I think a head with 2 full size cabs is a full stack, a half stack is 1 cab, and a quarter stack is a 210 or something?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by ScottSVT4
Most recently I have bought a lot of ampeg stuff. I have the svt4pro sitting on top of the 810e cab. I did try the svTCL (b-stock ) but sent it back (too noisey) the fan sounded louder than my bass. It sounds great but I have yet to play with any of this stuff live......The 4pro is quiet, I know its not a true tube but I'll live. Here is a question: what other cabs can be safely connected. I have the 410hlf (4 ohms) which stands on its own alone (connected to the SvT450) could I use this cab with the 810E? Reading up on what I can and can't do, it seems like I can. I know better than mixing an 8ohm cab (410E) with a 4ohm cab. Don't get me wrong I'm not discussing this to brag or flaunt this stuff. I have been proceeding very slowly will get advice from the local samash store...but I'd like to listen to the opinions that is on this site....

I think you should have kept the SVT CL, it blows the SVT 4pro away IMO.
ampeg svt 3 and 4 pro uses same preamp the 4 just has mo' powa' and mo' features.

the SVT CL is all old school but it can sound good for metal too, dude from mudvayne uses it and it works out for him.

SVT 2 pro uses same preamp from the classic svt CL but it has added graphic eq and modern features like di out FX loop bright switch deep switch so its a cross between the 3 pro and a CL but it leans heavilly to the CL side becasue it is all tube instead of tubepre/SSpower

the svt 450h is a pretty sweet amp. its all solid state but its a mix between the CL and the pros its not 100% but for the money its very versitle

the B1re is not worth getting unless you want a very portable rig with low output.

b2re is good on a budget but i wouldent buy a brand new one i would pick up a used one for sure becasue they are so common you might as well save some money.

b4r is kinda wierd because it costs about as much as a svt3 pro and the 3pro is better soundwise just the b4r has more output so you have to kinda figure out your priorities on that one. but if you found a used b4r i would def look into just because of it's power output its like the b2re but with more options and mo powa

cab choices kinda varies depending on what you want and what head you pick. for example if you got the b2re it's maximum output is 400 watts@4ohms so if you was going to use just one cab you would need a 4ohm cab for most output but if you wanted to use two cabs then you would need two 8ohm cabs.. and then you would need to choose between 8x10 or 4x10+1x15 or 2x15 or w/e and that all depends on whatever sound you are going for.

this would be alot eiser if you asked more specific questions about particular models and gave me a budget or somehting.

as far as metal goes there is no "metal sound" to bass if you took 20 different bands and soloed the bass track to thier songs each bassist would sound very different and most likely different songs by the same artist would have differences between them in their bass tone. if this is your first big bass rig i would aim for versitillity so you can play around and figure out whatever sound suits you most likely and also would help you play any style music you wanted to
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by ScottSVT4

if you ran the 8x10+the 410hlf it would be simi pointless but it is safe to experiment with just make sure you are using biamp mode and run one channel to each. compared to mono mode on the 8x10 the output would not be as much tho 490x2 vs 1200x1 not to mention a bitch to carry wround both cabs lol.

are you sure your using bridged mono mode on your 8x10 currently>?
if you really wanted to use both cabs i suggest buying a pa power amp of about 500-750 watts and running your line out on your 4pro>additional power amp >410 hlf

the svt4 can handle 2ohms x2 but im not sure how to run it into 2ohms other then buying two 2ohm cabs but they dont make them do they? only other ideas i have is running two cabs 4ohm on one side and two 4ohm cabs on the other side not sure what volume difference that would make versus single cab at 1200w other then the option to put a whole stack on each end of the stage so you would be able to hear yourself no matter what side of the stage you went to
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
You all gave me alot of info, thanks. Right now I'm using the Pro 4 into the 810E cab (both top and bottom) mono inputs. Its a good solid sound to build from. The 410hlf does sound somewhat bassier than the 810. I am just running the svt450 through it. I am respecting the division between 8ohms and 4ohms and won't do anything dumb, etc. . As far as the B2r I am waiting for the 2nd 15"(8ohm) cab to arrive and I'll try running both 15" . I've been looking at the 610 cab and its priced the same as the 810E, the design of the cab is better and maybe in the future I'll look into one. Thanks again to all that posted...good information...I'll check back at you all later....
I have made some progress with the SvT4-Pro on my own. After watching one of the Ampeg You Tube instruction vids ( By "Dino") I followed the instruction for using the Speakon Mono Bridged Cable that came with the new Unit. It goes from the Mono-bridge input on the amp to to 810E cab ( the #1 "1/4") with the mono button in. Well so far so good. The goal is to use as much of power as I can without any problems. Any other ideas would appreciated.