Hey all, I have been playing guitar in my youth's worship band for a few months now, and feel like God has laid it on my heart to start writing songs. I have starting reading some in Psalms, and other books, but I don't really have a clue where to start. I would like to know if any of you had any suggestions... Also, for all the guitar players out there, once I get some lyrics down on paper, how do I put those lyrics to a song? (As in what chords to play, capo position, etc. etc.)
Thanks for the help!
Well, it depends what kind of songs you want to write. If you want to write standard worship music I don't have any advice because I'm inexperienced. If you want to write typical christian pop/rock, I don't have advice because I think that's terrible.
If you want to write songwriter material that has a spiritual purpose I'll say this:

Good spiritual songwriting is about narrative. Make sure you tell stories in your work, you have the best resource for that ever at your disposal with the books of the Bible. I never understood most radio played christian rock, does anyone get spiritual fulfillment out of a guy singing about how he loves Jesus? No, they need to hear stories that talk about people's struggles and eventual epiphany. That's why there are stories in all the world's great religious texts instead of just lists of what to believe.

If you want to take the songwriter style route, then just start by picking your favorite stories out of the bible and work from there.

I don't know how many songs I've written that involved some influence from the story of the prodigal son.
Might I suggest using symbolism when singing about spiritual thing's that way it broaden's your audience and it can make thing's more personal for your listener.