im in the market for an acoustic, i would prefer no electronics, and of course the standards(like no laminate and what not) but what types of woods would you recommend for an acoustic to get a jazzier sound, or would just doing something like stringing it with flatwounds help.

feel free to recommend me a guitar too but preferably if i could find it <300
im wide open to used, i've checked craigslist and theres a few like an alvarez MD 70

i play jazz, blues, funk(probably not too much on acoustic) some folk and i'd like to possibly get into bluegrass.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I would recommend an archtop, but since you also want to play bluegrass, you're going to need a flattop - preferably a dreadnought.

Definitely go with maple back and sides and a spruce top (avoid engelmann if you're into really aggressive strumming, otherwise it's a great spruce). The maple back and sides will have less sustain and a "zingier" sound so when you're playing fast jazz licks the notes won't trip over each other. And a spruce top will be harder to overdrive than a cedar top for bluegrass.
Godin 5th Avenue is relevant to your interests. I'm looking into one, but I hate jazz. Will string it without flatwounds and see if that makes a difference..
after going and testing out a bunch of guitars, i found that i really liked the takamine tgs430s its the same shape as a jumbo, just slightly smaller body wise, i tested out several dreadnought bodied guitars and none of them really had that bassy-ness to them, and i was thinking about putting flatwounds on it to give it that almost matte sound thats so relavent in jazz, while still being able to play different genres.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Holy Katana
I can actually get a pretty good jazz tone out of my dreadnought. With roundwounds.

it'll do jazz already, but i want less of the bright sound, like as close to archtop, while still retaining some of the versatility of a dread.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
it'll do jazz already, but i want less of the bright sound, like as close to archtop, while still retaining some of the versatility of a dread.

See, I like a little bit of top-end when I play jazz. I usually leave my tone pot fairly high when I'm playing jazz on my semihollow. The treble makes those 9ths and 13ths sparkle.