before I start yes I search barred and yes I gooled but nothing came up.

Does anyone know a good book/ site for learning jazz, also could someone point me in the direction of a good fake book.
thanks
You could always get a "realbook" on Amazon.com. It's legal, and there's tons of versions with tons of jazz charts.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
For a beginner book, you should check out Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Guitar Method. After that, Jody Fisher's Complete Jazz Guitar Method (4 books - Beginner, Intermediate, Chord-Melody, Improv) is really good.
my personal favorate: http://jazzguitar.yolasite.com/. Its a new site that was started last month, and it presents the lessons very clearly. It also has a "jazz licks" section with some pretty burnin' lines.

I keep this site bookmarked cause it is bomb and they always have new updates and its siiiick
^ wow.
That's pretty boss site. Wish it wouldn't show tabs though, Bad habit for jazzers.
I recommend listening to jazz, like Miles Davis, and hear what it's like then try to imitate it. I can help more if you PM maybe
Quote by hippieboy444
^ wow.
That's pretty boss site. Wish it wouldn't show tabs though, Bad habit for jazzers.
I recommend listening to jazz, like Miles Davis, and hear what it's like then try to imitate it. I can help more if you PM maybe

Not at all. Visualization is a good thing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Not at all. Visualization is a good thing.

Not when you want to go to gigs and sightread. It's not possible to sight read tab
Quote by hippieboy444
Not when you want to go to gigs and sightread. It's not possible to sight read tab

Yes, it is. (Good tabs, anyway.) Automatically marking the use of tablature down as a "bad habit," especially for jazz players specifically, shows some strange closed-mindedness and implies a weird sense of superiority for jazz musicians. Tablature is a tool like any other. Any competent jazz guitarist could use a tab with the chord names written above and the rhythm notated and fake their way through a song just fine.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
You could always get a "realbook" on Amazon.com. It's legal, and there's tons of versions with tons of jazz charts.

The old illegal real book (printed by the mob supposedly) is best. The new legal ones are corrected in a few places, but are missing some songs.

Jazz in general is all about learning standards. Learn the heads. Learn the chord progressions. Practice comping both simply (2-3 higher notes) and with big chords (5-6 notes). Transcribe and learn famous solos, and pick apart how they did it. Spend lots of time with the original recordings. Compare the realbook/jazz versions to the old showtune versions, and see how they changed the song to "jazz it up". Learn to play over the common progressions - back cycles in 5ths ending on a major chord and back cycles ending on a minor chord. learn how to play the blues over I, IV and V chords.

It's great music
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Yes, it is. (Good tabs, anyway.) Automatically marking the use of tablature down as a "bad habit," especially for jazz players specifically, shows some strange closed-mindedness and implies a weird sense of superiority for jazz musicians. Tablature is a tool like any other. Any competent jazz guitarist could use a tab with the chord names written above and the rhythm notated and fake their way through a song just fine.

Oh, i don't doubt that, nor do i buy into jazz superiority (forgive me if it seemed that way). I just think that being able to sight read is a much more valuable skill to develop, being as 90% of all music is in clef.